How to Clean Mold Out of Pump Tubes?

Hi - I have the Medela Pump and Style and the tubes always get a little bit of water in them...they are now starting to grow just the tinies bit of mold. I want to clean it out before it gets too out of hand. I can't find my booklet that came with the pump - does anyone have advice on how to clean mold out of the pump tubes? Thanks!

They are so cheap to buy. I wouldn't mess with it, just go buy two new tubes for around two dollars. I got mine at a place that sells bras. I think anywhere that carries the Medela would have all the replacement parts.

B.,

I would totally not bother. Go to their website and just buy new tubes. I think they have them!!

V.

I would purchase new tubes.

Just buy new ones...They are really cheap. There is a place in Denver called Bosom Buddies that sells all the replaceable parts. Here is a link to their website so you can get more info. www.bosombuddies.com
Good Luck!!

Get new tubes! You don't want to mess around with mold in the tubes. And you don't wash the tubes after with water. Use a steam sterilizer or like PP poster said, alcohol.

the tubes are cheap, although sometimes it is hard to find someone who carries them. this website may help:
http://medela.findlocation.com/

to maintain your tubes, the manual says to leave the pump running for about 5 minutes after each time you use it, with just the tubes attached. this dries out the condensation so you shouldn't get mold again.

It would probably be best to buy new tubing. It isn't very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Style-Advanced-Breast-Tubing...

$10.20 for 2 replacement tubes - with free shipping.

Did you try running it without attaching to the breast? I used to rent symphony, which had similar problems - I was told to run motor with tubes attached without attaching them to the breast.

Hope it will work.

Like you've been told already, I would get new tubes if the mold is really bad. That way you can start with a clean slate.

When I was using mine, I always made sure to continue to run the pump with tubes attached for several minutes after each pump session. I let it run while I capped the bottles, cleaned the flanges off, and put the milk into my cooler. By then, they were usually quite dry. The one time I got something in there, I ran the tubes through the dishwasher, then held one end and twirled them around to get the water out. I also steam sterilized the entire kit (tubes, connectors, flanges, and those little yellow flappy things) every week using the microwaveable steam bags from Medela.

Good luck and keep on pumpin!

New tubing is probably the best idea, but I have always swung my tubing around (just twirled it in front of me like a helicopter propeller) to remove any accumulated moisture after steam-cleaning them. Best wishes!

New tubes-
When you are done pumping disconnect your flanges and let the pump run with the tubing on for a few mins to dry out the tubing before turning off (should only take a few mins)
*It might be worth bringing the machine into the store- most places will check the machine for free. The tubing should not ever need to be cleaned- moisture in tubing should be only what is sucked in from wet pumping parts (flanges).

I bought the steam sterilization bags - you put the tube with 4 oz water in it, then microwave. It's been 4 months, no mold. Not sure how you would clean out mold already in there though. You can buy new tubes really cheap online. I don't remember the website I used but there are several ho sell parts, just google your pump.

I never had mold in mine but when moisture did start to condense/accumulate, I would coil them up in a shallow bowl of isopropyl alcohol. Then I would drain/whip out the excess moisture and let them air dry.

With the mold, I would consider purchasing new tubes. I have no idea how much of an investment that would be but I do know they have replacement parts like this availble either through Medela or a nursing/breastfeeding store.

Best wishes.

I am a Lactation Consultant and my advice is just to buy new tubes. Mold spores are microscopic and you can't always clean them well. Most hospital breastfeeding stores sell Medela pump tubing, as does Bosom Buddies in the Denver area or Babies R Us. You can also get replacement tubing easily online. When you go to purchase the tubing know which model of Pump In Style you have.

I would buy new tubes, then from now on, when you are done pumping, disconnect the tubes from the bottles and let the pump run for a few minutes and it will dry out any moisture left in the tubes.

I'd just buy all new tubes if it was me. I'm just curious why they would even get wet to begin with? Mine never got wet.

Contact the Medela company at /www.medela.us. They will give you the information you need. Here is their phone contact info
Medela Inc.
Healthcare U.S.
1101 Corporate Drive
McHenry, IL 60050
Phone: 877-MY INVIA
Fax: ###-###-####
www.medelasuction.com

You can always flush white vinegar and water thru the tubes using a syringe you can get at home medical supply places.

I would just buy new tubing. I'd be too nervous that not all of it would come out. I would be nervous to feed the milk to my baby...You can buy only the tubing at any store that sells the breast pump.

B.,

V.