How to Clean Mold Out of Pump Tubes?

Hi - I have the Medela Pump and Style and the tubes always get a little bit of water in them...they are now starting to grow just the tinies bit of mold. I want to clean it out before it gets too out of hand. I can't find my booklet that came with the pump - does anyone have advice on how to clean mold out of the pump tubes? Thanks!

They are so cheap to buy. I wouldn't mess with it, just go buy two new tubes for around two dollars. I got mine at a place that sells bras. I think anywhere that carries the Medela would have all the replacement parts.

B.,

I would totally not bother. Go to their website and just buy new tubes. I think they have them!!

V.

I would purchase new tubes.

Just buy new ones...They are really cheap. There is a place in Denver called Bosom Buddies that sells all the replaceable parts. Here is a link to their website so you can get more info. www.bosombuddies.com
Good Luck!!

Get new tubes! You don't want to mess around with mold in the tubes. And you don't wash the tubes after with water. Use a steam sterilizer or like PP poster said, alcohol.

the tubes are cheap, although sometimes it is hard to find someone who carries them. this website may help:
http://medela.findlocation.com/

to maintain your tubes, the manual says to leave the pump running for about 5 minutes after each time you use it, with just the tubes attached. this dries out the condensation so you shouldn't get mold again.

It would probably be best to buy new tubing. It isn't very expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Style-Advanced-Breast-Tubing...

$10.20 for 2 replacement tubes - with free shipping.

Did you try running it without attaching to the breast? I used to rent symphony, which had similar problems - I was told to run motor with tubes attached without attaching them to the breast.

Hope it will work.

Like you've been told already, I would get new tubes if the mold is really bad. That way you can start with a clean slate.

When I was using mine, I always made sure to continue to run the pump with tubes attached for several minutes after each pump session. I let it run while I capped the bottles, cleaned the flanges off, and put the milk into my cooler. By then, they were usually quite dry. The one time I got something in there, I ran the tubes through the dishwasher, then held one end and twirled them around to get the water out. I also steam sterilized the entire kit (tubes, connectors, flanges, and those little yellow flappy things) every week using the microwaveable steam bags from Medela.

Good luck and keep on pumpin!

1 / 3