How to Clean Hard Wood Floors

Hi there,

My Mom has had hardwood floors for awhile and she has no idea how to clean them! She dry swiffers them and spot cleans them but eventually she has to really "clean" them. She did not have a chance to ask the installers how to clean them as they were not living in the house at the time they were installed.
They are solid wood, with a shiny finish (like polyurethane?)
Any suggestions? She is nervous that she's going to ruin them. It's only my Mom and Dad in the house so they don't get dirty really at all but it's time!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all of your great advice and tips! I passed the info. along to my Mom and I think she's going to use either the water/vinegar or the Windex. I told her about the Bruce also as that's what my installer suggested (talked to him today). It seems that there are many ways to clean them so it's really a matter of choice and what works for you.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help!

I use Zep Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner. I can only find it at Home Depot. I use the O'Cedar mop that has a terry cloth head on it. ( Bought that at Wal Mart) Just spray the floor, mop, and it's done. The terry cloth comes off and you run it through the wash. It dries in about a minute and doesn't leave streaks.
I swear by it !!

I have heard great things about this product called BONA and it is specially for hardwood floors. They have the cleaner and the polisher that you only used about 3 to 4 times a year. I just bought it myself, but have not use it yet. I found it at Berings Hardware Store in Houston, Texas. I will be trying it this week, because I have used other products, but leave my floor dull looking. A lady that was shopping at Home Depot one day, told me about the product and I went on line and it gave me a few stores that carried it, one being Berings. It is a little bit expensive, but if is going to help me with my wood floors, I think is worth it. I have used many products and so far none that I really recommend, so hopefully Bona will be a keeper for me. A salesperson at Berings told me that Bona is highly recommended. If it doesn't work for me, I will definitely will take it back to Berings and get my money back. Hope I was able to help. Good luck!!!!

We just got hardwoods about a 3 weeks ago and they gave us a kit to use. It's by BONA and it's pretty standard. They said NOT to wet mop with water as it's too much liquid for true hardwoods. I've actually seen the BONA kit at several places too. Costco, Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond to name a few. It's non-toxic and safe for pets and humans. Hope this helps!

I swear by it !!

We bought a new house with hardwoods and the builder's instructions were to mop it with water and vinegar with a 100 percent cotton mop. Don't get the floor too wet and they also said do not use any of the products advertised for hardwoods, like the polishes.

Well all I can tell you to tell your Moms is waht our installers told us when they put our's in, in 2000. He said the best thing to keep the finish good and clear on the wood floors is to just damp mop with vinegar water, about 1 cup to a gallon of water and to wring the mop out really good because you do not want any water to sit on the wood and all.
Hope this helps, we are still doing ours this way and after 8 years, they look great.

Murphy's oil soap, available everywhere! Follow the directions, super easy, and their floors will look and smell so clean. It's great stuff and been around forever...Good luck

The company who installed our hardwoods recommended a mixture of vinegar and water or Bruce Hardwood Floor Cleaner (you can buy it at Home Depot). The vinegar and water is fine but after a while, the finish has become a little dull (maybe that's from our dog and not the vinegar). You don't want to mop it on. Put it in a spray bottle and use a large flat sweeper/mop that has a microfiber cover (about $11 at Target) The Bruce HW cleaner keeps it shiny. btw...I vacuum them first and then clean.

I used a product similar to what the previous poster described that was made by Orange Glo. It worked, but with 3 kids and a dog I felt I needed something more so I bought a steam mop and love it. For your mother's needs the Orange Glo, Swiffer, or Pledge products will be fine.

Good Luck,

1 / 3