How to Bleach Whites....

I have used bleach sparingly over the years, but I must not be using it right. I always seem to get "yellow" stains on my whites. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get whites white with bleach - with two boys, I am constantly having to get out stains. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't use bleach. I use OxoBrite, non-chlorine bleach, Borax, baking soda, and / or Blueing. I've gotten much better results that way. Even old stains have really lifted after soaking in a blend of water and the above.

Not about bleach but...I've had a lot of luck removing stains (even old stains) with Shout Advanced Gel (smaller blue bottle). The best part is you can spray it on then let it sit in the laundry for up to a week. I think it works much better than the Spray & Wash Stain Stick that also claims you can treat and wash latter. I also use Oxy Clean in the wash. That's helped a lot too since there's always those spots you don't catch to pre-treat.

Oxy Clean is the most amazing stuff!!!! I have a 2 yr son, so stains happen quite often. I use the powder in the washer and the spray for stains. The spray is the ultimate because you can spray a stain at night, and usually it'll be GONE the next morning!!!!!!!!

Hi there,
I used to work at Clorox many moons ago. A few bleach pointers:

1. If you are not using Clorox bleach, make sure that your store brand is from a very reliable store -- one that cares a great deal about having a quality reputation. Some store bleaches are just fine, while others have random stuff in them (not listed on the label; particles get in during manufacture and/or packaging).

2. Whatever bleach you use, measure out the amount the label says to use for laundry. Many people achieve sub-optimal results because they do not use enough bleach.

3. If your washing machine does not have a special resevoir for adding bleach separately from detergent, do not add the bleach at the same time as the detergent. Wait for the washer to fill with water first (thankfully, most front-loaders have a special resevoir that releases bleach at the appropriate time).

4. The quality of your detergent matters, too. Bleach is most effective when used with high quality detergent. Never run a load with bleach alone. It is not nearly as effective.

5. Don't overload the washing machine. If items are packed in too tightly, neither the detergent nor the bleach can do their jobs if they don't have room to work.

6. Make sure the whites you are washing say that using bleach is ok (check the tag). If the tag only has symbols and not words, look for an triangle that is a black outline but not filled in with black or stripes. Do note, though, that 100% cotton and most sythetics can handle bleach, even if the tag says that it cannot. From the Clorox website (and they cannot just lie about this stuff; other companies would be all over them):

Myth:
If a label says a garment cannot be bleached, do not bleach it.

Fact:
Almost all cotton whites and most synthetic whites are safe to treat with liquid bleach. If a label on your whites instructs not to use bleach, test it out on a hidden area (A bleachability test can be found on the back label or on drlaundryblog.com). If there is no visible effect, it can be bleached. This is also true for many printed and colored fabrics.

Ok -- just from me again, now: Be sure not to add the bleach directly to the item but rather to the water (even if it will touch the now wet item --that's okay), as I've already mentioned.

I'm not sure what is causing the yellowing, especially if you are using Clorox. Possible contaminants in bargain bleaches could be an issue, though many bargain bleaches are fine, just not all. I just looked at the Clorox website, and it shows several new products since I worked there. One is a cold water bleach. If you are using cold water, perhaps this product will work better for you. Again, I no longer work there, so I'm not sure. The website does not appear to claim that this product whitens better in cold water than regular Clorox (just better than detergent alone). It "allows" you to get great whitening in cold water, though I have no recollection of regular Clorox *not* allowing this. Finally, make sure you are using the right amount of bleach. Perhaps you are using too little, and stains are being lifted but not all the way, leaving yellow stains. However, do not use more bleach than is recommended per load. You are better off running these items through the wash a second time with the correct amount of bleach (before drying them, as drying sets in stains). I hope this helps!

Hi, First of all I NEVER use off brands, only Clorox. I have 4 boys so I understand. If there is a spot on something, I put a tiny bit on that spot for only a few minutes then throw it in with the rest of the items to be bleached. One time I bought some off brand and never did it again. When clorox is on sale, I buy a few. It always works for me.

Clorex II

Blessings.....

I love the Shout stain stick.
But did you know HARD WATER makes whites dingy like that over time?
I hate bleach, use it sparingly. But try running the washer full of bleach water and swishing it a bit, THEN add clothes, and let them sit/soak a bit b4 cycles. Things that are not 100% cotton should not be handled this way.

Hi Maria! I work for a wellness company that has an ecosense laundry line that i absolutly love! It is safe for your whole family (newborns and up). I have been using it for 1 1/2 months. I have a husband and a 2 year old son that likes to get dirty. they have a melabrite that replaces your bleach, i have noticed that my whites are brighter, the prespot treater took blue ink and food grease stains our of my white tablecloth, and the 96 oz detergent does 192 loads. Its awesome. Plus there is a 60 day empty bottle money back guarantee! If you are interested in learning more please email me and i would be happy to share the info with you.
MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!

S. Moynihan
Proud Member of The Stayin Home & Lovin It! Team
www.stayinhomeandlovinit.com/lovebeinghome
www.saferisbetter.com/lovebeinghome

Enhancing the lives of those we touch by helping people reach their goals

I find that is I put the bleach directly in the water as the washer is filling and let it start to wash one or two turns of the agetator, the add the clothes, you do not get the yellow stains. Has worked for me for 30 years.

1 / 3