How to Become an Event Planner- Any Advice/experience?

I am seriously interested in becoming an event planner (weddings, corporate events, etc.), but really don't know how to get my foot in the door without having to work for little to no money. Does anyone have any information on this type of job and what experience is necessary? Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I would think most professionals have a degree in their field, so maybe you should start by taking some classes if you can.

I work in the Special Events office at a non-profit and most event planners I know have degrees, but I know my wedding planner just fell into her position by applying for it, so maybe if you took a few classes you could make some connections and move on from there...

I really don't know much about the business itself. I do know alot about business in general, tho. A few of the girls in my office like to plan and coordinate events, and have done a wonderful job on the few jobs that they have done for family and friends. My best guess and advice would be to do some homework, shop around and find the places in your area that have the best bargain on decorations and such. You want to be able to provide high quality at low cost and that takes time and effort sometimes to locate.
I would start by helping out family and friends. Maybe run a small ad in your local newspaper and go from there. Figure out what you would want to charge based on the type and size of event, whether you want to calculate your earnings by an hourly wage or a set fee. Again, I think if you have to find the best deals with decorations, renting tables/chairs and such, start there. Put extensive time into seeing what other companies like your idea are already available in your area. Call them, find out their fees, their requirements and what they provide. They don't have to know you have your own motives, you can ask as a possible customer.

This is what I would do if I wished to pursue something like this. I am not creative, don't have the time, but like I said I have seen a few girls in my office do gorgeous work thru their joint efforts.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Take pictures of any free or cheap work you do for yourself or family. Have a portfolio handy of tables, invites, rooms decor, or anything your service entails. If I was looking for an event planner I'd want to be presented with a clearly laid out portfolio with pictures, references and copies of those for me to call, and a contract well written and agreeable to both parties. If you can afford it, set up a good website with attractive photos of your events as well and try to get it linked up with your other networking sites. (like 937moms, facebook, myspace, craigslist) You need to be seen as very professional. Your clients want to be secure in the knowledge that you know what you are doing.

I know someone said that you have to have a degree, not necessarily, but you do have to have extensive knowledge in the catering industry , etc.. like do you know of atleast three different places you can rent tables, linens, centerpieces, flowers, glassware, etc... do you know of SEVERAL halls to have weddings, etc.. in, if you can answer that then you're headings in the right direction, also, most people do not like to go to inexperienced planners, have you thought of getting a job with one to biuld your resume and your experience, and portfolio?

1 / 3