How to Avoid a Flavorless, Dry Turkey??

Hello ladies,
do any of you know how to avoid a dry, flavorless turkey? Last year I made it for Thanksgiving, and it turned out a bit dry, even with gravy, it didn't help. I have tried wrapping it up in foil (to make the turkey sweat...hahaha, sound funny, but true) but it only works with chicken, not Turkey.

Any ideas????

Wow!!! Thank you for all the GREAT recipes and tips. I grabbed a little bit of each of your comments and I will be using it tomorrow.
Than you soooo much

Roast it upside down.

Put it in a Reynolds oven bag, for turkeys. Add your favorite seasonings generously, and even some broth and it will turn out juicy and delicious. Works for me everytime.

Last year I cooked my first ever turkey and was TERRIFIED (even thought it was just for hubby and the kids). I used this recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_roast_turkey/

Hubby and I agreed it was, by far, the best turkey we had EVER had, and this comes from someone whose family is filled with amazing cooks (professionals).

I am making it again this weekend.

I didn't even have a roasting rack, so instead, I propped the turkey up on multiple stalks of celery which I laid across the bottom of the roasting pan.

Good luck!!!

Bottom line is - majority of the time in the oven the turkey should be breast side DOWN.

use the Reynold's Oven bag (they will tell you how long to cook it, how to add olive oil and seasoning). Oh and I roast EVERY chicken and turkey I make up-side-down. Results in very juicy breast.

I have brined a turkey before but to be honest, I have great luck with turkey unbrined too. I usually roast at 325 at 18 to 20 minutes a pound.

I also use a deep roasting pan, add garlic, onion, potato, celery and carrot into the pan with about 2 cups of broth. I then stuff the bird, put it the pan (tummy side up).

I blend softened butter (2 sticks) with salt, pepper, paprika, dried parsley and basil and rub this all over the turkey but do it UNDER the skin (it is a bit of a pain, but you have to slowly use your hand and separate the skin from the meat, then rub in the butter mixture).

I roast initially, uncovered at 375 for about 40 minutes, basting the bird with pan juice / broth every 8 minutes. I then tent the bird with aluminum foil and turn down the oven to 325. I baste every 30 minutes.

DO NOT OVERCOOK THE BIRD. I usually test with a thermometer in the thigh which should read 170 /175. Pull the bird from the oven and let rest with the thermometer left in the thigh. The temperature will RISE another 5 to 10 degrees to 180 / 185 over 30 minutes. Stuffing in center should be 165.

Never fails! Happy Gooble Gooble Day!

Put it in an oven bag! And don't over-cook.

Best Turkey recipe ever!!

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-roast-a-turkey/?utm_sou...

The single most important thing is internal temp. No matter how you cook it (roast, braise, steam, deep fry) or how you prep it (brine, marinate, butter, salt, oil, stuffing)... if you cook it past 180 degrees for very long (like 5 or 10 minutes past much less an hour or two)... it will be dry... because the cells just keep bursting and giving up their juices. Poultry HAS to be 180 in order to be "done" (aka not still have blood and pink flesh). HOWEVER... the internal temp will continue to rise during "resting" (see below)... so it's ALWAYS safe to pull meat out 10 degrees early. It will heat up to "done" while it sits.

The second most important thing is letting it "rest" (true of all meats). If you cut into meat right out of the oven all the trapped juices escape with the heat in the form of steam and dripping. Bare minimum... let any cooked meat over 2lbs rest for 10 minutes. This allows it to cool somewhat (it will still be hot), but the juices are BURSTING out the moment you cut into it. For a big ole turkey I let it rest for about 20 minutes. (Because the golden skin gets moist during the resting I snitch some while it's still crispy).

I cook turkeys in about 6 different ways on a regular basis (I buy a lot of them while they're on crazy sale and use them for lunch meat throughout the year)... out of all the ways they are ALL moist and delicious and wonderful because of a $2 investment in a meat thermometer.

((Hint... if you make cream dressing out of the drippings... do NOT use a brine with dried fruit in it. Yucky yucky yucky.))

1 / 3