How to Add Cereal to a Bottle

I have a question about adding cereal to a bottle. I have tried to add a small amount of rice cereal to my son's bottle, but it only clogs up the hole in the nipple. I am not putting very much at all in, so how do I avoid this? I use the Playtex Nurser system. Maybe I need a different kind of bottle nipple. I have tried using a nipple with a bigger hole, but that doesn't work either. I have heard countless people say they have added cereal to milk or formula, so I know it can be done. I could never figure out how to make this work when I had my first child.

Hey B.,

I have to do the exact same thing with my baby, she spit up a lot. I just had to play with different nipple sizes. What works best for me is a level 2 nipple and just 1 tsp of cereal for each bottle.

Also, if you need to make the nipple hole bigger the best thing to use is a fork prong.

they make bottles epecially for cereal, I think they sell them at meijers, or wal-mart, I can't remember where i got mine but it comes in a 2 pack with a small one and a bigger one, I think it was made by playtex.

I have an 11 month old daughter who I started out on cereal also at about 3 months old. And she is just fine. They have you start out with rice cereal because it is easier on the stomach and has less of a chance of causing a food allergy. And it is true that babies will tend to sleep better. I just added enough to thicken the milk just a little bit and then you can cut the hole in the nipple to make it a little bigger. Most babies lOVE it! Good luck!

Uhmm... you aren't >ever< supposed to put cereal in a bottle! I know folks do it, but just use a spoon! If they aren't old/developed enough to hold their head upright when sitting (sometimes propped up into sitting position) then they aren't ready to eat solid food. Stick with formula or breastmilk. It's all babies need until 4-6 months old!

One of my twin boys had reflux as an infant, and the only way he could hold down formula was to add cereal. Of course, i had to add quite a bit, 3tblspoons to 6-8oz of liquid. I found it easiest for him to cut a hole in the nipple. I got a nipple with the smalles hole I could find, then squeeze the tip, and cut a very small X across the original hole. None of the nipples "designed" for cereal seemed to work. You might give it a try.

Hi.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but there really is no reason to add rice to the bottle. Your son is too young for solids - there is no need to give him cereal until at least six months! He will get all he needs from formula or breast milk. Many people put cereal in the bottle in the hopes of getting babies to sleep longer, but it really isn't the way to go.

We had to add cereal to both of our babies' bottles. We did use a nipple with a slightly larger hole. It still got clogged at times. All we could do was pinch it and shake it up when it did get clogged.

Dear B.,

You shouldn't be trying to give cereal to your 3 month old baby. Many mom's try this because they think their baby will sleep better with heavier food on their stomach. I've met some mom's who do it just because their mother's told them to. I think a lot of mom's mistake acid reflux and colic for hunger and over feed their babies. It robs the baby of nutrition and elevates their blood sugar. This actually makes them hungrier and leads to weight problems. Hold off on the cereal until your baby shows signs of being ready to eat solid foods at around 5 1/2 or 6 months old. Please don't expect your baby to sleep more than 3 or 4 hours at night without food until he's past 4 months old. At that time he may sleep 6 hours.

Best Wishes and Hang in There,

E.

I have to be honest... this is an awful idea. First of all, a baby younger than 6 months is not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula. Earlier introduction can cause digestive issues and allergies, as well as choking on the thicker consistency. And it has been proven that this type of practice can lead to obesity later in life. It messes with the child's developing natural internal cues about being full.

Here is information you need to read:
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/addcerealtobottl...
http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html
http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/bottlefeeding/jf2.htm
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/baby/babyfeeding/9155.html

I usually just enlarged the hole in the nipple myself with a knife. I have never found a nipple with a hole big enough for cereal and formula mixed. You have to make sure to only enlarge it just a little bit to prevent choking though.
I didn't put cereal in my sons formula to get him to sleep better. I started feeding it to him at three weeks old because he was constantly hungry and all the formula he drank wasn't filling him up and gave him severe gas. It was the doctors idea to start him on cereal and baby food at 2 months.
It stopped all the gas and didn't hurt him a bit.

I never put cereal in my babies bottles and they slept through the night at 2 months old. I am not sure if that is what you are trying to achieve or not. I do know my sister-in-law has the hardest time getting her daughter to eat out of a spoon now because she gave her food in one of those infant feeders. My Pediatrician said that the infant feeders that you put food and cereal in should be taken off the market because they are not safe. If the baby sucks down cereal through a nipple like milk they can over eat and it can cause stomach aches. Totally up to you though. If you are needing some pointers on sleeping through the night you can message me...I might have some good tips. Hope this helped a little.

1 / 3