How Soon to Take Newborn Out in Public?

Hi moms

My little boy is now 2 weeks old, and aside from a couple of doctor appointments, and his dad walking him in the Moby sling a few times, we haven't taken him out in public. We were thinking about taking him to church this Sunday (he'll be 2 weeks, 6 days) at that time, just to introduce him, but wouldn't let anyone hold him at this stage.
Do you think this is too early, or a safe age to expose him to a larger crowd environment? If it IS too early, what age did you first expose your newborn infant to crowded places. I'm also wondering when we can take him to Target :).

I took my oldest who was 2 in Feb to Target the day I was coming home from the hospital (c-section delivery). Hubby had her in the car seat and me in a ridding cart. She is the healthiest baby I know. My second she was a few days after I came home after another c-section and went to Buffalo Wild Wings. In both cases no one touched them except me or my husband, they just asked if we had another boy or a girl. Just be smart about it. Not a big deal.

I took my daughter to Walmart at 4 days old, in January. Maybe I'm just nuts. I just kept her warm and had a "look but don't touch" policy with strangers until she was a few months old.

I waited until both my kids were 6 weeks old. I think my Pediatrician made that recommendation after having my first child -- but it was winter and there were tons of viruses going around. I vaguely remember being told something about their immune systems hitting rock bottom at 6 weeks of age, and then it starts getting stronger and stronger. I just did the same thing with my 2nd.

Your baby and I share a birthday. :)

Are you breastfeeding? If you are, I would take him wherever you want. Breastfeeding confers immunity as long as you are doing it, even if you do it for 3 years! So I would feel safe taking him out as long as you are nursing.

If you are not, you have until he is about 6 weeks for placental immunity and then he is on his own. With swine flu scares about, and the regular flu season and whooping cough "season" starting, I would probably not take him places like Target and such for the first 6 months to a year.

That seems a little young to me. And keep in mind that you'll probably seem like the over protective parents when your church friends come up and want to hold him and you say no. We took our son to his first family outing at 10 days, but it was just the five immediate members of my family and 3 very good friends. And everyone washed their hands before holding, and didn't hold if they had a cold. His first public outing was to a restaraunt at 5 weeks and he was in between my husband and I in a booth, so no one could touch him or breathe too closely. I had a C-Section so I didn't leave the house for 2 weeks. Our Doc recommended 6 weeks. What ever you decide I'm sure it'll work out, just keep in mind, if you think it's hard being a new mom, imagine being a new mom to a baby with a cold that can't have any medication!

i took my little one to wal-mart at one week old and she is now 15months and just fine. its ok to take your baby out. just make people wash there hands befor holding the little one. have fun and enjoy him while hes little and those sleep less night will go away in know time

I think it's a little early. Are you nursing, he will have immunities if you are. Besides the germ issue, is the issue that all the noise and commotion could disturb some infants. Why not play it safe and wait another 2 weeks.

I took my first child out at 3 weeks but my second it was like 2 months because it was flu season. I'd get out now before the flu really kicks in and you can't go out. But you have to do what you and your husband are comfortable with. Congrat's.

I would take the baby out whenever you feel like going out. Consider that between being born in the hospital (if he was) and going to the doctor's office he has already been exposed to germs. Carrying him in the Mody is a great way to keep people from touching- they have to really invade your personal space to do it.

I have three kids and they have all been out very early. My youngest was born at home and we took her out very soon after. I cannot sit at home or I go totally crazy.

1 / 3