How Quickly Does an Ear Infection Come On?

Hi moms.
My question is how fast can an ear infection come on and cause discomfort/pain? my 10mo old was just at the doctor 1 1/2 weeks ago and his ears were checked and fine. he is teeting so i thought it was just that, but last night and today he is just "off." he is now doing lots of pulling and swatting to his ears. he is also shaking his head.
thanks so much!

All 3 of my boys battled ear infections. From my experience, they can come on very suddenly. Sometimes I didn't even know until they had high fevers, other times they would tug at their ears...it's no fun :(

Hi M., An ear inffection can come over night, the symptoms you shared I would say he has an ear inffection, take him to see the doctor as soon as you can, so his pain can be eased with medication. J. L.

Is he feverish? Ear infections can come on pretty quick... I'd check it out.

My daughter had an ear infection every month for years (except for summer months). Sometimes i would take her to the Dr when i assumed she was getting one, and she would be fine. Then 3 days later, bring her back and there is the infection! They can come quick. If you have any concerns don't hesitate to bring your child back.

My daughter had a few ear infections when she was that age. I always took her to the doctor when I "thought" she might have an ear infection. I even had her rechecked after being on antibiotics for a week.
Have your babies ears checked again....you just can't take the risk of not knowing.

When my daughter was little she had a lot of ear infections. She would be on antibiotic for 10 days, and three weeks later have another bad infection. She would go from being perfectly fine to high fever and crying in pain in a matter of hours. The doctor told us these infections could develop very quickly.

My 14 month old is prone to ear infections and he can literally get one overnight. One day he's fine and the next he's pulling at his ears and cranky. I take him to the dr. frequently b/c it's better to catch them early and get them on antibiotics so the pain goes away faster. I would take him into the dr., worst case he's fine and it's just teething. But better to check. Good luck.

I can't remember how fast they come on, but I do remember that it takes at least three days of Tylenol for relief. Please be very conservative when it comes to antibiotics. If used too often, the body builds up a resistance and the next time a stronger dose is needed. I have heard doctors say that most ear infections can be taken care of with Tylenol.

It can happen very quickly! Ear infections often follow a cold by a few days and sometimes, but not always, cause a temperature spike. When babies have ear infections they are often very uncomfortable lying down and will cry or be very fitful in their sleep. Also, sometimes those incoming teeth are the culprit of tugging ears. But just to be sure, you may want to have a re-check with your pedi.

1 / 3