How Old Is Too Old for a Crib?

Hey moms! I just wanted to get some opinions on how old is too old for your little one to be sleeping in a crib. While I realize it is still early for my daughter who will be two next month, many of my friends kids have graduated to a toddler bed at or around 2 years old. My daughter is very happy in her crib. She does not try to climb out of it and she does not complain about staying in it when she wakes in the morning. She is the best child I have ever heard of when it comes to going to bed at night. We have a nighttime routine and she happily lays in her crib and listens to her music box and quietly goes to sleep each night. Many of my friends are surprised to see how easy bed time is for us. We are very lucky! I have read somewhere that as long as your child is not climbing out of the crib, then they can stay in it for as long as you like. I am wondering what the benefits are of having her sleep in a toddler bed? I worry that not having the crib could ruin our nighttime routine. At the same time, I don't want her to be sleeping in a crib forever either. What are some of your experiences with transitioning to a toddler bed?

Thank you to all of your response and sharing your stories! I think I'll just leave things the way they are for now. No reason to change anything if she is perfectly happy with the way things are. Thank you!

My son is almost 2 1/2 and is still in his crib. He has only climbed out once and that was actually on his 2 year birthday. I found him standing in the middle of the room, crying in the dark :(...he hasn't done it since. I read that ideally keep them in until they're 3. It provides comfort and protection for them. It could be bad if you make that transition too early when they're not ready. That's what I've read too...to make the transition when they start climbing out...

My daughter was the same way. The only reason why I moved her from the crib was because she was so big (she was born at 10.65lbs) that it was killing my back to get her in and out of the crib! I totally skipped the toddler bed. I frankly think they are a HUGE waste of money and went straight for the big girl bed. We discussed it together and really did it up for her (getting princess sheets, pretty comforter, night stand w/ light, etc.). I even attached the Fisher Price aquarium to the headboard so she could still play the music she loved! We bought the protective railings and a step stool so she could crawl up the end of the bed to get in. Never had one single problem and the transition was smooth from the very beginning! It was great because I could lay down with her and snuggle and read her bedtime stories to her where we couldn't do that in the crib!

Only thing I hated about it was that she is a morning person so was up wandering around at the crack of dawn where the crib was a very nice containment device! LOL.

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!! :-) If you have a child that is sleeping well without any dangers (climbing out, getting stuck, etc) then there is no reason to change, it will cause some problem or at least disruption. Most people take their kids out because they start climbing out or resisting the crib, then it's not safe. I wish my son could have stayed in until he was 2 or more, I can't even count how many times he managed to fall out of a toddler bed with side rails, but he climbed out of his crib at 19 months old and walked down the hallway where I found him.

Hi J. - LET SLEEPING BABIES LIE!! Your kids sound like mine, they are now 6 & 8 and still we have no problems at bed time. My girls slept in their cribs until they were 4 - why some ask - BECAUSE THEY WERE SLEEPING! I talked to our doctor when my 2nd one was on the way and my oldest was about to turn 2. He asked me if she slept good in here crib (yes) he then asked if it was a money issue that we couldn't afford another crib (no - we could buy the crib) - so he told me to let her sleep in her crib for as long as possible. As long as they are happy and not in danger of hurting themselves getting out. Then they were 4 we got them full size beds (the only ones we plan on buying them ever) and never have had a bed time problem. Thank God for the wonderful sleeper that you have been blessed with and if you don't think she needs a bigger bed let her stay in it.

One funny thing, when my youngest was about 4 and still in the crib, we thought it was time for the big bed when she asked us why she had to sleep in a crate (yes a crate). We have a dog that at night slept in a crate, so I'm sure that's where she got it. I warned her pre-school that if they hear her say that she sleeps in a crate, it's not a crate, it's a crib.

Good luck and God bless!!

LUCKY you!

If it isn't broken, don't fix it! Sounds like everything is going well with your little one. She will let you know when she is ready to move into a bed.

N.

www.lovems1.etsy.com

I don't know that there is any reason, other than climbing out and risking safety, or not fitting in the crib anymore, or maybe potty training issues, that a child has to transition to a big-kid bed at a given time. Heck, I'm hoping my DD will stay put in her crib till she's 3 (or 13!!!)
She's like your daughter...happy and a good sleeper in there! We have a new baby coming in December and decided to just buy a new convertible crib rather than move her to a bed right now. Sleep is priceless for all of us right now, and if she's contained, sleeping well, and happy...we're not changing a thing! Even with potty training, she's been staying dry at night for a week or 2 with a diaper on and she doesn't seem to have the need to get up to pee at night, so at least right now that's a non-issue. She did climb out once about 2 months ago and fell, but scared herself enough to just call for me if she wants out now and we talk about how she is not to climb out of her crib.
Good luck in what you decide!

The Drs say to wait until closer to 3 yrs before moving out of the crib, unless the child is climbing out and therefore in danger of injury from falling. The rational is you don't really want a 2 yr old to be able to freely roam the house if she was to wake up in the middle of the night while you were asleep. I actually moved my climber out of his crib and put him on a twin mattress on the floor (skipping the expensive and pointless toddler bed) and just put a baby gate in the door of his room, essentially creating a room sized crib. This worked for us. I took the gate down once he started needing to go potty by himeself, and put the mattress up on a twin bed frame once he was tall enough to get in and out himself. It sounds like your little one is just fine in her crib and I would leave her there as long as possible :)

I am totally with you! My daughter has a great, easy bedtime routine including her crib. She's almost 3, and I'm not moving her until absolutely necessary. She's shown no interest in it, and neither have I. My husband is afraid that we should because everyone else is, or did months ago, but I dont want to ruin our routine when she still fits in her crib and doesnt try to climb out of it.

My husband and I disagree on this issue for our son, who turned 2 in June. I, like you, don't see any reason to rush into a toddler bed when everything is going so smoothly at the moment. My husband is very excited to get him into a "big boy" bed, I think because he likes the idea of him being a big boy. Right now we're potty training (which is going really well!) and I didn't want another disruption to his routine, so my husband "gave in" and my son is still in a crib. We'll be transitioning to the toddler bed once we start night-time training. Best of luck to you!

We are also very lucky to have an easy sleeper, and he moved easily into a toddler bed around 20 months. We put the toddler bed in his room along with his crib, and he started to ask for it, so we put him in there. We went in thinking if he gets up more than once he'll just go into the crib, and to our surprise he never got up. He is not 2 1/2 and still stays in his bed until we go into his room to get him, I have no idea why, but I'm happy he does! He also loved his crib, and had no problem with it. We just bought the bed, and were tired of keeping it in our room, so we moved it into his. Just wanted to give you our experience since it seems like they are both pretty easy going kids.

1 / 3