How Old Is to Old for Kids to Be Trick or Treating?

I was just curious to know what other moms think about how old is to old for kids to trick or treat. I have 3 kids age 3, 7, and 10. I was wondering what other moms think is the right age for kids to stop trick or treating.

Thank you all for your input. I will leave it up to my children when they want to stop trick or treating. I still dress up with them each year to take them out trick or treating. I do it because they think it is cool that mom and dad dress up with them. Happy Halloween to you all!

I would be ok with it until age 12 as long as they are dressing up in costume. I get so annoyed with a bunch of teens who ring the doorbell expecting candy with nothing but a pillowcase. However if an older teen showed up in costume with a sibling I would be delighted to give them candy.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TEACHING THEM TO BE RESPECTFUL...
1) Don't ring or knock on houses without porch lights on
2) Don't run over little kids trying to make their way to the doors
3)Don't Trick-o-Treat past 9:00 p.m.
4)Don't scare younger kids

Honestly - I say high school (9th grade). Let them be kids as long as they can. After they start high school you can let them volunteer at the local haunted house if they really like Halloween! I got to do it and I ended up volunteering for 13 years until it closed. I can't thank my mom enough for that chance. My son will have that same chance.

I believe that they are too old to trick or treat when they decide they are to old. I went at the age of 15 with my two best friends and we had a blast. The only thing is we dressed up like pimps and thats when my mother said okay you all are too old. lol.......

Are you kidding me? I WISH I could still trick or treat!! As long as kids are respectful and actually dress up I think they should be able to trick or treat as long as they want to. What I noticed (and I was a die-hard trick-or-treater) was that my interest turned more to parties and dances when I hit 15 or so. Don't worry about it. Let them stretch that childhood out for as long as possible.

I think that it shouldn't be about the age as much as the involvement with the holiday. If a person enjoys the holiday and gets dressed up (not talking walking around with no costume and a pillow case) I am not really concerned with how old they are. We have given candy to older teens who obviously enjoyed halloween very much and displayed the spirit of halloween with their store bought or homemade costumes.

3)Don't Trick-o-Treat past 9:00 p.m.
4)Don't scare younger kids

T.,

I am not sure of the exact age that kids should stop trick-or-treating. Mine stopped around the age of 12. We still get kids coming to our door who are obvously in their teens and we still give them treats. I believe that there is a little "kid" in all of us so if the worse things these trick or treating teens do is dress up and ask for candy - so what! These teens are good kids and never cause any trouble in our neighborhood. A lot of people think teens should not trick or treat but we believe that they will stop in time. The thing that bothers me THE MOST is when BOTH parents come trick or treating with a tiny baby in a stroller. It is obvious that the baby can't eat the treats. And if both parents are out trick or treating with a baby - then NO ONE is at home at their house to give out treats.

Hello,

Your 3 year old probably won't trick or treat at least my didn't when he was that age, he stayed home and helped Daddy hand out candy but was still dressed in a costume. Your ten and seven year olds are fine trick or treating, I have seen kids older then that in my own neighborhood. I stopped trick or treating at 16 when a man told me "wow ghosts are getting taller this year", of course I was almost 6 feet by then. Let them go they will have fun and let the ten year old decide when he is too old it will happen trust me.
Good Luck.

I still went trick or treating with friends when we were in high school. I think I was 17 (I was driving, so at least 16). If there aren't any local laws, I'd pretty much leave it to them. As they get older they'll probably want to do halloween parties instead.

If they are wearing a costume then they aren't too old LOl!!! I hate when I get those kids that just come to the door with a pillow case and the clothes they wore to school that day. I'd love to not give them any candy but unfortunetly I'd be afraid they'd come back and wreck our yard or something. I'd say 13.

Around here, the law is 13 or under..so I make 13 my kids last year, and we plan for the older ones to either help me with giving out the candy or going to a friends haunted house. I hope this helps!

1 / 3