How Often Should I Give My 4 Month Old a Bath?

My husband and I can't agree on this subject - he thinks me giving our 4 month old a bath everynight is not a good idea, but I think just giving her baths 2 times per week is not enough. Even though she is very young she seems to like bath time, but I don't want to overdo it either. I wash her face and hands several times per day but she gets a bath 2 to 3 times a week. Is that enough?

Babies are just as washable as we are! I have a five-month-old baby girl who absolutely adores bathtime as well. I've been bathing her every single day since she's been home from the hospital; sometimes more than once a day! Babies get sweaty and sticky, and this can make them fussy, so I've found that it is very soothing for her to take a bath especially right before bedtime.

HI L.,
I am a mom of 3 grown children and a new gradma:) I used to give my kids a bath every night before bed.....they loved it and so did I!!! It relaxes them and makes them sleep better. It is also a fun time for the both of you. Even my daughters doctor says it is a good thing...hope that helps.
G. M

I gave (and still give) my son a bath every night as the beginning of his bedtime routine. After his bath, I put lotion on him, his diaper and pjs, then we settle down with a story on the rocking chair. It's great bonding time, but it also helps them get into a routine so that bedtime becomes super easy. I really think that is how I got him sleeping through the night at such a young age (6-8 weeks old). It's to the point now where my son (2 1/2years old) will tell me he's tired and wants to go to bed if we get started a little late.

We wondered about this too when our son was just a few months old. He had issues with dry skin. I thought bathing every day would dry out his skin. We have continued bathing him daily, which he loves and his part of his nighttime routine since he was just a few weeks old. I make sure I lotion him after every bath to ensure he doesn't get overly dry skin. It has really helped and worked. Especially when they love it, I see nothing wrong with it. If your baby tends to have dry skin, maybe talk to your Pediatrician and they can recommend a lotion or soap that would be best for dry skin. Good luck!

If she likes it, why not? Giving her a bath every night isn't going to hurt her, and it will make her happy and is a nice bonding experience.

I was giving my daughter a bath every night by four months-as part of the evening "routine". It's no harm to them, and why deprive yourself from that sweet fresh-from-the-bath baby smell every night??? And in a few months when your baby starts baby food and crawling, you will want to put her in a bath every night, believe me, she will be dirty.

Bath time is not only for cleaning. It is a wonderful play and bonding time for your child. If your daughter loves bath time...give her a bath every day...just don't use soap and shampoo every day. Put a little baby oil in the water if you are worried about her skin drying out...but plain water shouldn't do that to her skin. 4 months old is not too early to start a night time routine with her that she can become used to to help her go to sleep at night. She should start sleeping longer hours at night when the house is quiet if she understands it's time for bed, and a nice routine at night will help. Bath time is fun for babies, the water is warm and relaxing and I think it helps them relax. Use the bath to play with her, and talk to her. It is a good way for her to expand her brain with the sensory input from the feeling of the water and your hands on her bare skin.....

I have always given my 3.5 a bath everynight and I wash heer hair every other night. My 8 week old gets a bath everyday also. Wipes just don't all the poop out so I have to let her soak for a while. I think it sets good habits if you get the kids use to a nightly bath.

My babies puked a lot! They were really fat too so the rotten milk in their neck folds would send me to the tub. I cant stand stinky babies! But I also dont want my babies smelling like perfume (fragrances from baby soaps/washes or lotions). So despite all that we have heard and read, we bathed everyday! I wouldnt necessarily slather them in soap or really soap up their hair but just soaped up their stinky areas/folds. My recent baby got so smelling in the folds behind his knees, it was so gross! I chose sesitive baby washes or ones that were not over powering with fragrance. I try to use all natural or organic products, I liked Earths Best by Jason, and Burts Bees baby bee, Johnsons has a Milk wash that was mild and not overpowering with fragrance. And I never used lotion. Their skin didnt dry out from it either.

1 / 3