How Often Does a Check Really Get Lost in the Mail?

I got my Verizon bill today. It said that they never received my last month's payment. I went back and saw that I wrote out the check and mailed it way before time. Looking online at my bank account, the check never cleared. I had to argue with the Verizon manager to refund the late charge. I have no idea how they didn't get the check. SO, either the check really did get lost in the mail or Verizon lost it somewhere in their payment center. I have no idea which happened. I really can't think of anytime that I mailed a bill and it wasn't received...is this common? I felt like an idiot arguing with the manager because I KNOW that it was mailed....

I haven't used a stamp in years unless to send a personal card/christmas cards. Online bill pay is free and easy. I pay everything online. If you come across issues online, everyone takes phone payments.

Well, they probably lost the payment. However, mail does get lost frequently. Especially, now that post offices are shutting down, and they are cutting jobs. I worked in a UPS store a few years ago, for extra money. We did accept mail. Several people came in and complained about their mail getting lost on a daily basis.

We do paperless bills, for that reason.

why don't you do online banking. i do it through chase. it's free and you have a history of all your payments and you know for sure they get it.

have you thought about using electronic bill-pay thru your bank? that way you have a reference number if something goes wrong.

I recently received a check in a mail that was a few weeks late and torn into two peices. The post master forwarded it to me with an apology that it had been damaged during the postal process.
To answer your question, yes checks really do get lost/damaged in the mail. It doesn't happen often but it is a risk we take when we do/can not hand deliver ourselves.

We do paperless bills, for that reason.

In 20 years, three times. The first one returned an empty envelope and the check itself never appeared. Once, it showed up at the bank behind a filing cabinet when they painted three years later. I made them refund the late fees and send me a letter.

The third check was mailed with 6 others last year and still has not shown up. The local company waved the late fee if I brought a check to them, but swears it never showed up.

Several times the post office has sent me mail inside a plastic envelope explaining the letter got opened by the machine. Thick, uneven cards have arrived with needle holes stabbed through.

We just got in our returned mail a letter we sent out in January. By we I mean my office. The letter was all nasty and moldy. That was the post office, I don't even want to think where they found it. :(

it has happened to me a few times

1 / 3