How Often Does a 4 Year Old Urinate?

My petite 4 year old daughter drinks lots of liquids -- i would say 40 - 50 oz daily -- but she can go a long time without peeing, maybe as long as 5 hours in the day, and often all night. My mother thinks she doesn't "go" often enough and i have assured her that my daughter is getting enough liquid. What's normal?

I'm glad you posted this. My son is 3 and he usually only pees 2-3 times per day. it drives me crazy because I feel like it's not enough. There are some days that he wakes up and does not pee all morning... like, maybe his first pee of the day is at 11 a.m. or even noon. He NEVER pees at night, so this means he sometimes goes from 7:30 p.m. - 11:00 a.m. without peeing. I don't know how he does it.

I think some kids just have bladders of steel.

http://www.discoverytoyslink.com/karenchao - perfect toys for any age, any occasion! Shop online today!

My 4 year old daughter also holds her bladder for an incredibly long time. She will go to bed and sometimes go before sleeping and sometimes not, she stays dry everynight, and usually does not even go when she wakes up in the morning until a few hours after she gets up. I would say she probably uses the bathroom only maybe 3-4 times a day, which is just crazy to me. I don't know if this is normal, but this is my experience.

My daughter is five years old. She goes to the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day.

my 3 year old daughter has amazing control, that I wish I had! I guess I did when I was her age, ha ha.. She goes 3 or 4 times a day, and also drinks a lot. At night she goes right before bed and doesn't have to go again until after she wakes up in the morning, even an hour or so after she wakes. I think kids are all different and some learn to control much earlier than others. Also as we age we lose that control, so in comparison a child can have better control than an adult, sorry Mother!

It depends on the child, really. But you do need to watch if she's taking in that much fluid and then holding it for that long...she could end up w/ a UTI or kidney/bladder issues.

I have an alost 5 yr old who goes on average 3 times a day maybe 4 times this I am meaning pee. I taught her about the color of her urine-dark means she is not drinking enough and light she is doing good and in the am it will alwyas be dark. This being said she drinks alot but can go long between bathroom breaks-all kids are different and I believe this is normal-glad to hear mine is not the only one-lol I always thought mine was wierd, but our Dr also said as long as there is no evidence of infection-not to worry. She also stays dry all night too-she did this since she was 1 1/2 no lie which she sleeps on average 10 hrs now-then it was 12. Hope this helps. L.:)

I think it's important to bear in mind that everyone has a different bladder size. hence, the reason that some kids go more often than others and vice versa.
sounds like you'd know IF your daughter was holding it, right? I track whether my child is getting enough water or not by how his urine looks. IF really clearn, then yes.. bingo.............. he's gotten enough.. if too yellow.. then NO...
it's a simple gage that works for adults as well..
best of luck

Some kids have large bladders, some have small ones. My son has a large bladder AND he's adhd-c (meaning he can actually "forget" he has to pee, if he's engaged in something interesting). My nephew has a small bladder. Some kids pee every 15 minutes, some once an hour, some not for several.

As long as the urine is clear - pale yellow... you're good to go. (no pun intended, but I can't delete it now that I see it ;)

1 / 3