How Often Do You Change Sheets and Towels?

Just curious, how often do you change your sheets? What about those of you who have pets that find their way on your beds?

How many times do you use your bath towels, before washing them?

Phew...I'm normal!! I was talking to my friend today and she changes sheets 3 times a week, and towels after every use. It got me thinking...maybe, I'm not washing enough. It seems as though I am. I change sheets once a week, and towels twice a week.

Sheets, I shoot for once per week.
Bath towels about every 3 days.
Hand towels roughly every other day.

Thank you Lee Lee for letting me know I'm not alone.

Weekly for towels and sometimes for sheets (more often every two weeks).

People wash their towels after every use. Really??? Wow. That is a lot of laundry, water, soap, energy. Granted, I don't have a teenage son (which might change the equation a tad), but I'm still astounded.

We use a new towel for each shower per person. The sheets are on no schedule. All depends on how much time I have. Master bed is 4 loads by itself and the kids are several loads as well by the time you wash pillows and comforters. I can't stand changing sheets but not washing the pillows and comforter!
My cats sleep on the bed all the time and 3 of them are long haired. There is always hair on the comforter, even as I make the bed because they like to help me LOL

Manufacturers of laundry products want us to believe that frequent washing is a mark of good hygiene and excellent womanhood. Bah! I change sheets and towels when they begin to smell "unfresh."

More often seems irresponsible and unsustainable to me. And my well tends to pull up grit in rainless months if I use too much water, so I go as easy as possible. I've never had anybody try to avoid me or hint that I or my house smell unclean – in fact, I usually get comments that my house smells good, natural, fresh. And we don't have grungy diseases, rashes or infections that keep recurring, either.

In hot, humid weather, this might mean bath towels every 2-3 weeks. In cooler or dryer weather, they can last much longer. They are only used on freshly washed bodies, and we hang them where they can dry quickly. Hand and kitchen towels need washing at least every week. Sheets can usually go 3 weeks or even longer. We don't use comforters, but blankets get washed every other month unless I start wheezing/sneezing sooner. (If I could survive pets in the house, I suspect "unfresh" would occur more frequently.)

Less frequent washing not only saves water and detergent and produces less wastewater, but the fabrics themselves last a great deal longer. The agitation of washing breaks down fabrics. I have some towels that are well over 30 years old. They're getting just a little thin, but still look (and smell) great.

Not as often as I'd like. Too much time on Mamapedia, perchance? :)

Sheets, I shoot for once per week.
Bath towels about every 3 days.
Hand towels roughly every other day.

Towels that are properly cared for (hung up to dry between uses) usually get 3-4 uses out of them before going into the laundry, but if I find them wet on the floor, they go straight into the hamper. I wash two loads of them once a week, kitchen towels are one load once a week (I don't use paper napkins or paper towels, it's all cloth). Sheets ideally get washed weekly, but more typically it's every two weeks, comforters get washed 2-4 times a year because we use flat sheets in addition to fitted and I change them out seasonally.

I only wash pillows once or twice a year, I keep two cases on them at all times. But the pillow cases get washed weekly, no matter what, especially ours because my face will break out if I don't.

We change ours once a week when we remember. For our kids, we change them every week, but every 1-2 days if they're sick. We have two cats, but we try to make the bed everyday so that they're on top of the bed instead of on the sheets. Not that one cat doesn't burrow when it's cold, the weirdo. LOL

Towels are washed every Saturday. Sheets generally go two weeks before being laundered. Our animals (dog and cat) are not allowed on the sheets.

1 / 3