How Often Do You Change a Tampon?

PLease dont throw rocks at me. I dont use tampons, the whole concept makes me stomach hurt a little. I have an emergency box for the summer, just in case I have to wear one if I have to wear a swimsuit and Im on my period, but I try to avoid it. I NEVER wear them the first couple days when Im heavy. But, Im out of pads and I have a lot of work to do at home today and I dont want to go out until after my husband is home. So, (gag) my period is heavy and I have no choice. Have often do I change this distgusting thing? Im even getting dizzy typing this!

Im not hating on anyone that wears tampons, clearly I need your help. I realize my thoughts about them are irrational, but hey, thats me. THanks for your help! :)

BP, I have had the same argument since I have started my period. Well, its not an argument really, its just how I feel about it. I dont think its disgusting for anyone else to use a tampon, I just think its gross for me. If your not squimish about it, more power to you, really. Both pads and tampons are gross.
I just prefer everything to come out, not stay up there for hours. I could go on and on about my reasons, but its pretty graphic and disgusting, so Ill save it. :)

Im sure Candy knows a tampon doesnt go in your peehole. Lol. At least thats not what I got from it. I would think you would change it before you pee so you dont get pee on the string and then have to touch it. Eww.

Wow! So YOU'RE the person that they make the pad commercials for! LOL!:)
(I'm kidding, please don't take offense.)

Depends on the flow. On my heavier days, every 2 hrs. On my normal to light days, every 4-5 is usually sufficient.
You can kind of "tell" when it's full and needs to be changed.

honestly I think a tampon is cleaner then a pad. pads just feel gross, plus you get blood in pubic hair and eww. I have a very light flow so I change mine every 3 hrs on my heaviest day and every 6 to 8 hrs the other days

Well it's Part of life,I use to buy pads for my wife and daughter and now for my girlfriend.I try to keep atleast two box's of pads on hand for her at the begining of the month. But each person has their own preffrence on what type of pad to use,wing or heavy flow type .But keep tampons on hand anyway if needed.
I am no expert on this but my advice would be to get the heavy flow two boxes with wings to hold them in place.
Believe me being a male I use to be ashamed on buying these ,but like I said it is normal part of life so I don't mind any more.
Good luck...

Don't change it every hour. That's actually not healthy and it's really irritating to do it that often unless the tampon is at least half full of blood. You don't have to take it out when you pee due to the whole vagina-being-a-different-hole-than-where-pee-comes-out thing. If the string gets wet with pee then you hold the string with a dry tissue for when it IS time to pull it out.

You're not supposed to go longer than 4-to-6 hours during the day depending on the flow and the type of tampon you're using. If you do go to the bathroom, give the string a slight tug and if it feels "slippy" or loose like it's wet, then change it sooner than 4 hours.

There are night time ones for heavy flow that you can wear up to 8 hours. I would ONLY do that at night.

I've always found them to be much more cleanly than pads. I hate pads. I hate the Diva Cups too. Tampons are much easier, cleaner, and less hassle.

Aww you poor thing, sucks that you feel the need to throw out a disclaimer, doesn't it!!

Me personally, I change it every time I have to pee (which is pretty often because I drink water all day, probably 1x or 2x every 2 hours... a little excessive, but that's my preference)... read the directions inside; I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to leave them in for more than 4 hours or something like that.

Good luck honey :)

I am worried about Candy. I think you need to realize the Tampon does not go where the pee comes out, there is another hole behind that. That is where the tampon goes. Ask the doctor the next time you go in for a check up.. she can guide you. Or have your husband help you find it.

M., is it the sight of blood, having to handle a bloody string, or the feeling while it is inside of you?

You should not really feel the tampon. If it is uncomfortable you may not have it placed high enough in there. It cannot get lost. There is no way for it to go into any other part of your body..

Anyway, I have always had a very heavy flow. Some days even with the largest tampon, I will have to change it every 45 minutes and wear a large pad. On light days I wear one for about 6 hours or all through the night.

Good thing there are so many choices.. Imagine what the pioneer women had to do.? Yikes.

I am just like you. I dont wear tampons. My Problem (or lack there of) is that I am a light flow-er, therefore tampons actually hurt. I think how often you change it depends on heavy your flow is. I have friends that have to change theirs every hour because they bleed so much. I could probably wear the same one all day, except I wouldnt. I would atleast change it everytime I use the bathroom. The joys of being a woman!

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only anti tampon lady! My friends make fun of me b/c I just don't prefer them unless I am swimming or something. They say it's like a diaper, but I figure if you buy a thin one and change it regularly it's fine! Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like tampons!

Whenever it needs it! I can always tell because it starts "slipping" out of place and becomes uncomfortable. On my heaviest days, every 2 to 3 hours. Not so heavy, up to 8 (per the box) unless I'm feeling really gross. The thing is, use the right absorbancy, otherwise it won't soak up ENOUGH blood, and then it will pull and hurt and stick on the inside when you pull it out! Sorry, that may be a little graphic and probably doesn't really help someone who hates them to begin with..... :)

1 / 3