How Much Tv Do You Really Let Your 2 Year Olds Watch

I wanted to find out how much all you really let your 2 year olds watch tv each day? Mine seems addicted to it some days, especially when she is tired? Some days it is just so much easier after a full day of work (and I am pregnant with #2) to give in and let her watch - both in the morning and evening - but at the same time I hate letting her watch too much. Most "experts" say no more than 1/2 hour a day. What is it like for you? Thanks for sharing!!!!

I know you may not believe this nut my 2 year old willl not watch tv . At least, right now unless it is ELMO!!!!
That onlyh lasts for about 15 minutes then she is up and gone again. Usually chasing after her 13 month old sister.
A.

It is so much easier to just let them watch for awhile. Especially when you are tired. I do try to find a nice child oriented program. The ones in the morning are great, but the shows in the afternoon are more for big kids. Sometimes I think the "experts" don't really know what they are talking about. I think every once in awhile a marathon of tv is ok. Right now my little ones are sick so I am letting them watch movies all day. They can't do much and I'd rather they be resting quietly than jumping around exciting their poor tummies.

I admit...I leave the tv on disney until 11am then it's noggin the rest of the day...mostly it's background noise...but periodically the twins (3 yo) will take a break from playing and watch a show...also anytime music comes on they stop what they are doing to sing along and dance...then it's back to playing...i have noticed that some of their pretend play incorporates what they have seen on their shows as well, it's quite entertaining to watch.. ;-)

I have a nearly 3 year old. I never used the tv to keep my daughter occupied, ever. I knew one day she would discover tv and then I would let her watch it on a limited basis. I wanted my daughter to love books and not be the tv junkie I was. TV is such a waste of time. I tape the View in the morning and watch it when she naps. Now, she is totally uninterested in tv. I plan to take her to every kiddie flick that comes out at the theatre, but I will never buy her a movie so she can watch it over and over and over again as my nephew did. My daughter's little friends come over and all they want to do is watch Nemo or some other movie and my daughter just wants to play. She plays for long periods of time happily by herself and her imagination is off the charts. She doesn't seem as "into" books as I would like her to be, but we'll see as she gets older.

I have to say I am a stay at home mom which makes things a lot easier. I am in awe of moms who work and manage to take care of their house and kiddos. Kudos to you. I know I have it easier than most. And I decided not to have another child b/c I was so worn out from the first - I do actively engage my daughter for large parts of the day - it's exhausting. So, kudos to you again for being prenant, working and taking care of your kids. I would probably do the same in your shoes, but having said that, any limiting of the tv is always best if you can manage it. Best of luck to you.

I agree with most of the other moms on this one. Dont beat yourself up over this. I have a 4 year old son and he watches TV in the morning while I am getting ready for work, it is usually on Boomerang which plays all the older cartoons that I grew up on. He also watches TV in the evening when we are winding down and cuddling on the couch. I am however very careful about what is on and what we allow him to watch. I think what you are doing is fine. Like others have said, just make sure that you are spending quality time with your daughter daily. And as far as those "experts" go, most of them have no clue what they are writing about. God gave you mother's instinct for a reason, if you think it is harmful for your children, you will know. Congratulations on the 2nd child. You sound like a great mom! Keep up the good work!-God Bless!-
H.

I think it's all really dependent on your situation, and your child. I really try to limit the TV time and content for my 4-year old, and when she does watch TV, it's either PBS, or the occasional Disney Channel (SpongeBob is a absolute no-no at our house). My mom bought her the whole series of "The Electric Company" not long ago, and she is RIVETED!!! (For those that don't know, Rita Moreno, Morgan Freeman, Bill Cosby, etc. - helped teach me to read as a child). It's all 70-ish and rather cheesy, but my daughter LOVES it, and has been playing with her stick-to-the-walls-letters in the shower, and attempting to spell out her own words.

Admittedly, there are days when I REALLY need to get stuff done around the house, or need to make an important phone call, and I'll let her watch more than usual, but she is just as happy without it - playing dress-up, blowing bubbles, and stroller races with her little sister.

Now, my 1 1/2-year-old, she has NO interest in TV at all. Occasionally, Elmo or the Wiggles will hold her attention for about 2 minutes, but believe me, there are some days that I only WISH I could plop my sassy girl in front of the TV. How I would love to empty the dishwasher, without her trying to climb in it! :-D

Best wishes, and congratulations!

I too watched lots of tv when I was a kid. back then it really wasn't educational it was just entertaining! bugs bunny, road runner mr. magoo and so on! when I had my son 22yrs ago, he watched stuff like sesame street with the count and so on! I never felt guilty, just told him not to sit too close for his eyes! There are so many educational programs out there now, why would any expert say not to? most moms are busy and can't spend 24/7 playing with and talking to their kids to educate them, so why not let a good program help? Don't let these so called experts make you feel guilty, I'll bet they never practiced what they are preaching !

I understand the temptation, but resist! Supplement interactive toys. For TV type time, use educational videos, for TV time restrict to KLRU, Discovery, NASA, etc. Use TV time together to rest with shows like Wheel of Fortune, bathtime, then bedtime. Your baby is young and vunerable to the TV in general so make it specific!

I have an 18 month old little girl, and people think we are crazy but, she doesn't watch tv. We watch tv after she goes to bed around 7:30 or so. I work in a job share, and I can understand the allure to utilize the tv, and they say after about 2 years old, limited tv use is okay and there are educational programs. What I can tell you is that when a tv happens to be on (at her grandparents or friends), she ignores it and happily plays with the toys or kids. And, we haven't entered the phase of "Dora" tv that we now are sick of, or any of the other programs I hear friends complain about being sick of.. because she doesn't watch them. I think you could gradually get your little girl off so much tv use, by just limiting the time. I bet you'll find she occupies her time looking through her books and playing with her baby dolls, and it won't be such a big deal.

I have relaxed about the tv now, but until mine was 3 it was only 30-45 min and not every day. I only let her watch stuff like Baby Einstein. I let her watch more stuff now, but not certain cartoons (you know the ones that you feel dumber after watching). We try to limit the violent stuff too.

1 / 3