How Much Sleep Does My Baby Need?

I have a 10 week baby girl and my pediatrician has always just called her one of those "fussy" babies. But, now I'm thinking it might just be related to not getting enough sleep. She now sleeps from about 11pm to about 5 and wakes up for a quick feeding then sleeps again until about 8. After that it is short little naps the rest of the day. The longest maybe 30 minutes depending what we are doing that day. Should I try and get her to take longer naps during the day? It's hard to get her to sleep longer than 30 minutes though. She always wakes up. It is really hard to take her places during the day because sometimes she just screams and is inconsolable. She is gaining weight fine and so far very healthy. I would like some feedback from moms on how much their baby at this age actually slept and if it affected their fussiness and if this gets better with age or if they will continue to be fussy?

Wow! Thank ya'll so much for all your responses. I'm glad to know that my baby isn't the only fussy one out there. It seemed like to me that all the other babies were so much better than mine and I must have been doing something wrong. I'm really thinking about what you all had to say and go with my instincts as well. I wrote down all the book recomendations and will definitely try and read through them as well as give her some gripe water when she is being particularly fussy. I do think now that some of her problem has to do with reflux because she does do that a lot. And it seems like she does it more in the evening for some reason or when I'm talking to her and she's laughing. So I'm going to moniter that a little closer. As well as kind of go back to feeding her on demand. Also, I did get a baby carrier for her and she does like it when I carry her around in it. She falls asleep pretty quickly in it. So anyways thanks again I didn't even think I would get two responses and I ended up getting way more than that.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this but there is a chance she could have silent reflux- there is a reason she is always fussy and this could be it. There is a great book called Colic Solved and it was written by a GI pediatrician and it was such a good book...it really helped me to understand my baby. (He was considered a happy spitter...even though he wasn't "happy"....he would spit up 60-70 times a day but he was a super chubby boy)
Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there as possibility. When you lay them down flat, the reflux can really bother them so you want to put them at an incline. My son slept in his swing for the first 5 mos. which helped a ton!
Anyway, just another idea.

I was going to respond to this but Melissa said EVERYTHING I would have said so I'll just leave it at that!!

I don't think you should stop nursing on demand; even if your baby "uses" you as a paci, that's not terrible & you're not spoiling her by allowing it. It's comfort for her & when they're tiny, especially, they need the comfort. I also don't believe that a breastfed baby will allow herself to eat too much. However, you don't have to offer her the breast everytime she fusses if you know she's just eaten & probably isn't hungry. Find other activities, even if it's five minutes of looking at a book, five minutes of tummy time, five minutes of walking down the hall looking at pictures, etc.

I've had three babies & only one napped for a long period of time during the day. My 5 month old is napping now, but I'm fully expecting her awaken any minute, since it's been about 20 minutes since I put her down. Often I can get another twenty or so by lying down & nursing her back to sleep as soon as she begins to stir. You're lucky that your baby is sleeping so well at night! Be glad you get all of those hours in a row at night & learn to work around the short naps during the day. :)

As far as outings go (& even at home when she's fussy, infact), have you considered babywearing? The Moby Wrap is a wonderful, inexpensive & easy to use wrap that works from newborn to 35lbs with various ways to hold baby, depending on her age & weight. I use it every day & never ever go anywhere without it. My baby (& the one before her) rides in it when we go to the grocery store, library, everywhere! It's also great for calming a fussy baby. They like to be close to momma, it comforts them. Google babywearing & you can read all about the awesome benefits of strapping her kiddo onto you. :)

Anyway, just another idea.

Hi T.,
I am a older mom, and have been involved with a message theropist. And in studies they show that even new borns sometimes during birth get things out of place in thier bodies. Alot of times their little tummies are out of place, and need to be pulled down. My cousin in North Carolina has a pedi that won't let them leave the hospital without being checked out first by a message theropist to make sure no adjustments need to be done,.. Makes since that being born is the most tramatic thing to your body. Just a thought. Hope everything gets better!

T., your little one is just a little over 2 months. Baby she's hungry, continue to feed her on demand. I know you think that you are feeding her too much, you're not. The problem is you're not feeding her enough. To put your mind at ease, if over feeding is a concern, your body adjust to the needs of your baby. When she is full, she will fall off the breast. Child the reason little mama is only sleeping 30 minutes or less at a time during the day, is because she's HUNGRY!!! FEED HER ON DEMAND, and watch the fussiness go away (unless she's colicky). Trust, you will have a much happier baby. Now as she gets older, her demands will began to taper off, then you will be able to put her on a 2 to 3 hour feeding schedule. But for now, let her guide you, that 2 to 3 hour schedule is only a guideline or a base line for you to go by in order to help you know how often she should be eating. Your best guideline is your instincts - trust them! Don't be afraid of what you think is best for your child. The bond is between you and her. Do know that doctors are not always right, nor are our parents, friends etc. It's ok to get advice, but go with whats in your heart. That's your compass. Also, do know that every child develops differently, do not compare your child's progress with another, she is developing fine. When you start back to feeding her on demand, you will notice a change in her sleep pattern. Stop saying I can't do anything or go anywhere with her, because of the fussiness. This is no longer about you and what you want, (stop thinking about what you used to do before the child)it is all about her. On the days you know that you have to get out and you're not comfortable nursing in public, then take some time, pump your breast, and pour the expressed milk in a bottle(s)and give her that, and then you will be able to continue on with your day.

Now you need to know, that if she is demanding to nurse more frequently, she's probably getting ready for a growth spurt; and is commanding your body to produce more milk for this season in her life. Let your daughter be your guide, let her take the lead for now, and as you learn her (because she's the teacher now)then start adding structure to her days. Don't rush her, be patient, remember this is new to her as well as you. You two are learning to communicate with one another, listen intently. What you do as the parent now, can make the bond closer or drive her further away. BE PATIENT, AND LISTEN TO YOUR HEART!!! ok, well good luck - hope this help.

I never like to recommend a book when you are having an immediate issue because who has time to read books? BUT, I would quickly buy "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child" which is similar to the Baby Whisperer. We are on our second child using the methods in the book & things are great. It tells you what to do when you see certain issues and works with you through all stages of development. It is a very simple, easy read, that you can reference quickly. Also, we are currently doing the "silent reflux" thing & as someone stated this may be an issue. Especially if she is arching her back during feedings. If you need a pediatric GI specialist, Mona Dave @ Presby Plano is really good. Best wishes!

if doct said not colic and yyou still think need more sleep then btry little rice cearal in formual or by self

it could be related....i always found the less my baby sleeps...the less he sleeps even more...if there wasn't a good schedule i place...he was much fussier and wouldn't nap well...i recommend the books, "babywise", and "healthy sleep habits, happy baby"....they will help you get on track with a good sleeping schedule. :)

1 / 3