How Much Should My 7 Month Old Be Eating?

My daughter eats 6 ozs of formula and 1/2 a jar of #2 baby fruit for breakfast. Then she eats another 6 oz bottle and 1 full jar of #2 vegetable for lunch. Then she has a 6 oz bottle around 3pm. Then she eats at least 1 jar of a mixed dinner with a 5 oz bottle of juice for dinner. Finally she has a 6-8 oz bottle before she goes to sleep. Is this enough or too much or a common amount? My doctor is kinda foggy on details when it comes to actually amounts of food.

Thanks for all your insight. It was great to hear what other babies were eating at the same time. She is at the 45 percentile for her head circumference and weight. And she is at the 75 percentile for her height. She is a long skinny little girl. The only recently hit the 16# mark. I did forget to mention that typically the friut in the morning does have the cereal or oatmeal already mixed in. Also, each bottle has about 2 teaspoons of cereal in it to help with spit-up. I know a couple of you were asking about that. Also the juice bottle is 2oz juice and 3oz water just for a little flavor. Thanks again. Hope I can help some of you out like you have helped me.

sounds about right to me.
keep up the good work, mom.
:)J.
(mom of 6-year old girl and 2-year old boy)

My opinion: Breakfast: A bowl of baby cereal. You can flavor it with the 1/2 jar of fruit, but she needs some cereal.
Lunch: 1/2-1 full jar each of veg & fruit.
Supper: 1/2-1 full jar each of veg{or mixed dinner} & fruit.

I would use the bottles after meals & in-between meals. She will be a better eater if she learns to fill up on her food instead of her bottle. She does need to drink about 24oz of formula a day. Juice really is not necessary unless she gets constipated.

I watch my 6 1/2 mo old niece. In the morning(7:30) she eats a 6 oz formula and cereal. Lunch(12:30) is 6 oz formula and most of 1 jar of fruit. After her nap(4:30) she eats 6oz formula and most of 1 jar of veggie or cereal. Then before bed she eats a 7 oz formula w/ cereal in it.

I think part of the reason your doctor is a bit foggy on actual amounts of food, is because every child is different. I always let my babies kind of dictate their feeding schedule. Babies and small kids don't eat for entertainment or pleasure like adults do... they eat when they're hungry, and they don't when they're not. It sounds like your baby girl has a great feeding schedule! Keep up the good work, Mom!

~S.~
Mom of 4 great boys!

Where does she rank on the weight and height scale? If she is an average weight or less, then she is eating the right amount for her. There is no fixed amount so that is why your physician is vague about it. Think about it, when you see two people eat, they usually eat different amounts. The same is true for babies. Most will only eat what they want and ignore the rest but there are those that won't. However, if your baby is overweight, then she may be consuming too much food. I would then cut back on the baby food that she is given. I didn't see where she was taking any water into her system-only formula, juice and baby food. If she is overweight, you could substitute 3 oz of water and then give her 3 oz of formula. Water is good for them, helps keep them regular, and helps with weight control. I would hold back on the juice though until she is a little older. Babies that start out obese usually wind up obese and that creates another whole set of issues. Talk to your physician about where she stands on the chart and then if she is on the heavy side, talk to the physician about why-there could be factors that make a difference. Don't be afraid to ask is she is too heavy. Use common sense and don't try to crash diet if she is over the norm.
Give her a hug for me.
C. W.

Hello,
I am a Mother of 2 my son is 11 and my daughter is 5, we just found out we have another on the way! All children are different. some eat more than others, some it only takes a little to satisfy them. I am not an expert but just from experience, As long as she is not getting sick after eating she is not eating too much. I have always givin mine as much as they wanted, they will usually push the food away or spit it out if they are full. Both of my children are healthy, though the Doctors did pick on my son saying he was under weight all the time,( I always felt he probably ate more than some) but they could not come to reason or understand that our family is small built and small bone structure. I would say as long as the doctors arent complaining about being over weight, give her as much as she wants.

S.,
That sounds about right to me. That sounds like just a frog hair more than my daughter eats and she's 6 months and a few days. If your baby isn't super skinny or super heavy, I'd say you're doing a fine job.

A.

sounds about right to me.
keep up the good work, mom.
:)J.

It sounds like plenty. My pediatrician always recommended no more than 4 oz of diluted juice per day, otherwise it sounds fine. Nutritionally speaking just make sure you avoid the dinners with "dinner" on the label - they tend to have lots of filler and therefore less of the actual nutritional elements - go for the ones that say "Apples and Chicken" and that sort of thing. Most doctors I've heard rarely tell you how much (except for the milk part) food - I think every kid is different and you just have to make sure they seem satisfied.

I did not notice any baby cereal. I always feed mine cereal mixed with formula or could use breast milk in the morning. Mother of 4.

1 / 3