How Much Should a 7 1/2 Month Old Weigh?

I have a 7 1/2 month old daughter that weighs only 13 lbs and 15 oz... her doc says shes underweight but to me she has a good size belly on her.. she dont act like shes starving.. and she eats alot... her height is 26 3/4 inches tall

Well on Tuesday I took my daughter to WIC.. and since it was a week since she was last weighed they weighed her... I put her on the scale and it came to 14 lbs and 15 oz.. and WIC measured her out to be 22 1/2 inches long.. which sounds right becuz shes not a very big girl... Well her docs had her measured at 26 3/4 inches tall.

My 7 1/2 month old daughter weighs only 15 lbs which is the 28 percentile. However her cousin who is 1 month and 3 days younger weighs almost 25 lbs.
The docs really are of no help they just go by their charts. My 3 year old son only weighs 29.7 with shoes and clothes on and they think that is fine.
This is a battle we all go through wether under or overweight with our kids. If she looks healthy to you and she is actually eating food, maybe she burns all her calories through playing rolling, and crawling.

It sounds like you need more information from your Dr. I have finally learned it is ok to drill your Dr. until you understand what this means to your child.
The questions I would ask your Dr. are, "Is her weight to a point of concern? and Are there other issues I should be looking out for?" My almost 6 year old weights 34lbs. after a big meal! I noticed yesterday she was wearing a size 2T swim suit. When she was a baby she weighed below the chart… a negative number?! The Dr. wrote down that she had failure to thrive. I have a degree in Special Education and knew my verbal, alert, energetic baby was not failing to thrive. I pushed the Dr. on this, and we worked together to get a little more weight on her, though we were both less concerned once the weight was balanced with her normal areas of mental growth.

Hi E.,

honestly I couldn't answer that question completly. b/c when my daughter was that age she weighed that much as well. the doctors said she was fine. but also if your daughter is crawling or trying to walk on hher own then she is more likely to burn more calories in her body which would mean that she would be loosing weight. don't worry too much on what they say as long as she is eating well you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Every child is different. I swear, those percentile charts are the worst things ever invented. Your little girl just may be petite. I was always very small for my age. People still think I'm younger than I am and at my age, I'm not complaining! As long as she is eating regularly and not showing any signs of dehydration or malnourishment, why worry?

Well put it this way i have 3 kids ages 9 and 6 and 5 and my dr told me to watch my 5 yr old cause it is looking like she will be my porker she just turned 5 in may and she weights 20lbs and im seeing heavy spots on her her chest is looking like she has boobs already she has hips and thighs she is built right BUT SHE WILL BE SMALL she dont fit into the clothes i saved from my other daughter AND SHE IS PETTITE that she wore these clothes when she was that age I THINK IT IS A GOOD SIZE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER

I think girls must weigh less than boys, but my boys (have 3 of them) were around 20 pounds or so at that age. They also were BORN 27 inches long so I'm sure they were much taller as well. So you might just have a little girl for now. I wouldn't worry too much unless she starts acting hungry or something. Just offer her food more often and maybe she'll eat more?

My daughter is a "stringbean" and has been since birth. Now at 20months she's still 0% for weight and 60%height. It's perfectly fine and healthy to be on the lower end of the curve. As long as she's eating, seems healthy, and hasn't jumped dramatically from a high curve percentile to the lower end, she's perfect! My daughter was probably the same weight at 7 1/2m, and now she's healthy and happy, just petite!

Honestly, I wouldnt worry, I have a Kailey also, she is 4 years old and is barley 30lbs. my son is 14 months old and olny 19 lbs. I was worried too about my kailey, and I had some dumb Dr. telling me she needed to eat more, this girl was a bottomless pit, you put something in front of her, she inhaled it. she was 14lbs at 6 months old and the nurse said she was fine, they say babies should gain an ounce a week. I worried until I found a great Dr. whop sat me down and explained to me "if you know she's eating, and there no signs of malnutrition, go to the next step, look at genetics." Thats when it hit me.... my husband is 5'8, but his family is tall,and skinny his mom is like 5'10, his uncle and cousin are about 6'5", 6'6" and his grandfather is about the same, he comes from tall skinny people. So I dont worry anymore, I know my kids eat, and I know what they eat. If you know that your baby is healthy, you have ruled out any problems, and she is eating well, just relax.

1 / 3