How Much Should a 2 Month Old Eat?

Is it too soon for my 2 month old to be eating 5oz of formula? Lately she wakes up an hour early from her naps. I thought maybe this was a growth spurt she was going through but it has been over a week now. I guess I worry of over feeding her because of all the issues with child obessity today.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! My baby is doing great on 5oz feedings. She is happy and content, so I know I must be doing something right!

My son would eat easily 8 oz of formula at that age. Which is way too much!! So his pediatrician told me to add a table spoon of cereal to his bottle. It would thicken up the formula and he would fill up faster. Plus it helped his acid reflux. I hope this helps.

I wonder the same thing about my 2 mo old son. He is breastfed and most of the time I cannot gage how much he is eating. I recently recieved a pump to enable me to go to classes to finish my degree. I normally pump full bottles because I produce a large excess of milk, and out of a full 6 oz bottle my son will usually drink anywhere from 4-5 1/2 oz. However as his last Dr. appt. and the nurse that visits us for the HANDS program say that his weight gain is still healthy. I know that there are differences between breast milk and formula but I hope this helps. If your daughter is close to 2 mo. then it should be about time for her check up and immunizations. If you are still worried then, I would suggest asking her Dr.

L.,

I disagree with some of the responses. Every baby is different. I've known women who told me that their babies eat every 4 hours and I've had other mothers tell me that they fed their babies every 2 hours. My baby is now 16 months old and he was a little piggy when he was that age. He wanted to eat every 2.5 hours and I let him. He would usually take 4-5 oz. every time. Now he's a healthy, skinny little stinker. You're not going to make your baby fat by feeding him when he's hungry. Babies don't know how to pig out at this age so don't be worried. The doctor will let you know if there's a weight issue. My son is now 95 percentile in height and 50 percent in weight. He's a bony little thing with just a belly.

Don't worry about feeding your baby too much. She will let you know when she is done. If she is throwing up a lot afterward like more than 2 or 3 oz I would cut back. But, I have a now 5 month old who is already drinking 8 oz per feeding 4-5 times a day with solids as well. My doctor told me to start her on solid foods a little before 4 months. And she was drinking anywhere from 5 to 6 oz at 2 months as well. Especially after I switched over to formula, because I just couldn't keep up with her. As far as obessity goes I really wouldn't worry about it. They grow so fast right now you won't believe it. My daugther is in the 75-80 percentile in weigth but she also is in height so everything is balanced, and that's really what matters. And at least you have a healthy eater and unstead of worring that your baby won't eat!! I hope everything goes well for you.

I have a 4 week old that eats 5oz of formula every 3 hours. It doesn't seem like too much to me. He's happy and satisfied. Your child may get a little chunky now, but soon as she starts moving (rolling over, crawling, etc) the weight will adjust itself. Don't worry.

My son did this too. He was average weight at birth. Since, he has grown to be a big boy - not fat, just solid. He was hungry as a newborn, so I fed him accordingly. He woke up early from naps, too, because I wasn't feeding him enough. When he got enough he napped beautifully and started sleeping through the night at 4 months. Good luck!

It is supposed to be 2.5 ounces for each pound she weighs. For instance, if she weighs 12 lbs., then she should be getting 30 oz. a day. Don't worry too much if she doesn't get 30 oz. exact, my baby girl never ate as much as she was "supposed" to get b/c she just didn't want it... you have to gaige it on what the baby wants as well! I would make sure she is getting at least 2 oz. per pound and that should be good unless of course, she wants more! :)

MY DAUGHTER IS TWO MONTHS OLD AND THE DOCTOR SAYS SHE IS LARGE FOR HER AGE AND SHE EATS 5.5 OUNCES EVER 2.5 - 3.0 HOURS! I MEAN SHE WEIGHES 15 LBS AND SHE IS 24.5 INCHES LONG! I THIHNK THAT IS BIG! I MEAN IF SHE ACTS HUNGARY FEED HER BUT I WOULD NOT GIVE HER ANYMORE THAT 5.5 OUNCES BECAUSE IT IS RECCOMENDED THEY EAT BETWEEN 4-5 OUNCES AT THIS AGE! WELL HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU! GOOD LUCK!

Your daughter is her own person. Just like us, she knows when she is hungry and how much she wants.You really should stop worring about the weight issue and more on her needs.She is 2months old and your worried about child obessity.Remember to give your daughter some fatty things to when she starts eating solids. This is very important for certain part of brain growth and other internal body organs. Relax.

1 / 3