How Much Miralax Should I Give My 6 Yo?

I have a stopped up little girl who is just recently out of pull-ups for BM's and is scared, therefore, resistant to "let it go" in the potty. Her Ped suggested Miralax, but I don't know how much to give her. I just bought a bottle at CVS and it says 17 grams for 16-adult. Anyone know how much to give?? Thanks everyone!

I thought I'd post another update (2 weeks since request originall posted). My little one and I had quite the battle, along with the market conditions (my hubby works for Merrll Lynch) we were all completely STRESSED OUT! After the one and only poop in the potty, she didn't go again for SIX days. We finally went to the pediatrician who had a very stern discussion with her. She agreed that whatever the doctor said she would do. DH & I thought she'd be more receptive if we were taken out of the equation.

SO...the doctor said "You are too old for diapers and it's time to poop on the potty". She agreed to sit on the potty for 15 minutes after school every day. She told her this isn't a "prize" to be earned, she just has to poop, plain and simple, as it's something everyone does. I was told to Milk of Magnesia to clean her out and get her colon "nice and skinny". Then add Benefiber to her drinks/food every day. Lastly, give Miralax (1 tsp 2x a day) to get her regular.
I am please to say we didn't have to anything other than Benefiber. She has pooped on the toilet 7 out of 8 days!!

Thanks to everyone for their supportive responses! Sorry this was so long, but I thought it might help another mommy in distress...
E.
mommy to TWO pooping girls now!

Hi E.,

I have had similar problems with my now 4 1/2 yr old and I have used Miralax for almost a year. I put about 1 Tsp in her milk 2 times a day. She's still holds it in too long, but at least it's not as hard as a rock and she's able to get it out with less trauma.

You don't have to worry too much about the dose because it's not absorbed. The pediatric dosing is 0.8 g/kg/day, max 17g/ day. An 45 lb child would just take the adult dosage.

Call the ped's office and ask.

Do not worry about the "safety" of the product. miralax has always been okay in kids. Let me tell you why I know, because when you go through chemo, you can not go more than 48 hrs w/o a 'poop'. And, at 2 my son was using it...I do not remember the quantity, but, it was via prescription. And, you may get some watery poops. I know-too much information!

My 5 year old son drinks 1/2 a cap full in his juice. The ped told me to reduce it to 1/4 of a cap if it seems too loose.
I recommend reading "Potty training for dummies" chapter 16 Soiling beyond toddler years. My son had problems letting go. When I tried to do it on my own it became a more serious problem where he couldn't feel when he had to go. Miralax under the watch of a pedi is the only thing that helped him.

Hi E. - I agree with one of your respondents on trying to get her to eat more fruits and vegetables. I know that's hard at that age, and so I highly recommend you give her Juice Plus gummies. It's just fruits and vegetables in chewable form. My kids have been taking Juice Plus for 4 years and it's made a great difference in their health, they're regular, and their immune systems are better able to fight off colds. I became a distributor because I'm so passionate about nutrition and found a way to make sure my family gets enough. With three boys it's hard to get them all to eat enough produce every day, so Juice Plus gives me peace of mind that they're getting that nutrition to protect their health. You wouldn't believe how many customers that have their kids on Juice Plus that tell me it solved their constipation problems. That's the least of the benefits it will provide your child. If you'd like more info, please see what the doctors and research on Juice Plus say at my website: www.wethriveonJuicePlus.com. Feel free to call me at ###-###-####.

NONE!!!!!! I speak from experience not from being a naturopath type person. They had my two year old on it for two weeks, things were fine....then not fine. They put her on it for 30 days!!! Again fine...for a while. If you think about it, until recently it was a prescription for seniors and adults. So how good could it really be for our peanuts? I posted many a posts on this site and others looking for any help. I got both opinions, do not use that stuff, and use that stuff. UGH Of course we all have our opinions. One day we came across Lifeways Pro Biotic Kefir and were giving her one a day. Seemed to be really helping our problem on and off. A neighbor over heard me having this discussion at a party and she ran home and brought me a whole bottle of Nordic Naturals Children's DHA Cod Liver Oil pills. My daughter thinks they are candy and begs for them each day. That was in May and we poop every single day now. I give her 4 each morning and she goes about bedtime each night. I am lucky for these because she stopped liking the kefir after months of having it. But she loves these things. I also feel very lucky because the company who makes them is a fabulous reputable company who makes quality products, I take the adults as well. But because it is natural and non-harming. Miralax causes a lot of problems, specially in the future with prolonged use. You can get these online, but I buy them at both Henry's and Sprouts. I buy a couple bottles at a time. They seem pricey, but each bottle lasts a long time and compared to Miralax......

Good luck, this is not fun and very sad and stressful as a parent.

Wait!!!!! Let's look at this for a second....I know potty training is a real difficult time for everyone--or certainly can be. Kudos to you for being patient!

It seems to me that your daughter has a fear of losing control of her bowels and not being a good girl. (VERY common!!!) She wants to do a good job and just is having trouble with the on/off switch so to speak. I had trouble urinating when I was in labor. My body just couldn't remember how to coordinate all the muscles right then...

Giving her a laxative may make her lose control---her worst fear realized!!!! And do more harm than cleaning up a poopy mess for a few more days/weeks/months. (I know....sigh.....)

Letting go is one of the biggest struggles people have emotionally. I just watched my friend try to die for a long time.....help your daughter learn to let go now. It is a valuable life lesson. She needs to learn how to control the process. Just think how much easier her love life will be!!!!

I do not want to go against the advise of a physician but remember, Dr. Spock recanted after his methods were used almost biblically for decades. No one knows these things for sure. You can help your child better than anyone else. She may actually know what she needs herself. Try asking her. My kid worked out great out of the box solutions for himself that worked because he knew himself better than anyone. Try silly stuff too if she suggests it....(I don't know....singing about it to a pretend purple kangaroo while she's on the pot,or pretending she's on a ship....what does she see, how does the ship gently rock with the waves hitting it etc....)might just lighten the situation up enough so she relaxes enough to poop spontaneously....stranger things have happened.....

Good luck,my friend.
Thanks for being a good and loving mommy!!!!

Deb

For my 4 yr old I used to do 1/4 -1/2 tsp. His body got to dependant on it though and I switched to children's Benefiber. There is also Pedialax which is a child's laxative. Miralax does work well, but if you're concerned about dosage I would go with the pedialax. It comes in liquid, powder and dissolveble strips that all work in different time interval's from a couple hours to over night. Once your daughter is cleared out I recommend the benefiber though. It will naturally help maintain you daughters system. My son has had a problem with going poop since he was one and a lot of his fear of going is because he said it hurts. The benefiber helps with that. Good luck!

Hi E.,

8 1/2 grams (half a capful)

Does your child likes oranges? When my 3 year old is having a hard time, i give her juice with the pulp - or better - the real fruit with the pulp. Or you can try easing him into it w/ canned mandarines - it's sweeter. Also, for adding veggies to her diet i add a little bit on everything - carrots or broccoli on mac'n cheese, steamed broccoli w/ melted shredded cheese, raisins and carrots on brown rice, strawberries on cereal (choose one w/ more fiber that he likes), grapes for desert, apple w/ caramel, etc. Whatever gets them to eat more fruits, veggies, and fiber. Natural is better, i think. The medicine may be good for when she is having too many days out, but i'd try to change her diet to see if it helps. It sure hurts if you can't "go". Good luck!

1 / 3