How Much Makeup Is Appropriate for a 13 Year Old Girl?

Hello all you moms of teens and pre-teens. My daughter is 13 going on 20 somedays and 10 the others. She has been wanting to wear a lot of makeup, and I have only let her wear powder on most days and a little bit of mascara and eye shadow on special occasions. I really have struggled with this because she does not want me to show her how to put it on, nor does she want to go to the mall to get a mini-makeover. When she has put it on herself she puts way too much on, and it becomes World War 3 getting her to take it off until it looks appropriate.

I know that a lot of girls her age are wearing as much makeup as they want, but it also makes them look 2-3 years older than they really are. I want to let her wear makeup, but I also want her to look her age......13 not 16. They grow up so fast anyway, and I want her to slow down and be 13. Of course she thinks that I am trying to make her life miserable, and that I don't understand what it is like to be a teenager. While I wish I could slow down time and keep her a little girl, I know that she is growing up. The problem is that she is wanting to speed past 13 and get to 15 or 16. Yes, I remember what it was like (faintly), but I also know that I was not allowed to wear too much makeup until I was about 15 or 16. While I want to compromise with her, how much is too much for a girl her age?

Any thoughts, comments, or advise? Any information would be great! Have a great day!

I was only allowed to wear lip gloss and a little blush (a very pale color almost skin tone just a little more pink) until I think I was 15-16.. I plan on doing that with my girls when they get that age. I think girls really need to learn to appreciate their faces and learn how beautiful they are without such things, before they go covering it up. That being said teenagers are not easy to deal with so what I am saying now may not be how things are done (my girls are very young yet) then.. This is my ideal anyways..

I think just a light translucent powder and the lightest brown mascara (only on top eyelashes) light lip gloss, no lipstick. Maybe a very pale blush. Nude or soft colored eyeshadow only on bottom of lid close to lashes, not on middle or top of eyelid.

I was the girl who was forbidden to wear make-up until high school. But I was also the girl who if provoked would go to the extreme to rebel against any rules. So I put my makeup on at a friends house - and yes it was too much and I looked like a tramp. I think because I gave my parents such a hard time I am prepared to compromise much more with my daughter. I felt as if my personality was squelched and I don't want to do that to her. She is 12 and I offered to help her with make-up but she's not ready. I imagine when she is ready that I would help her pick out eye shadow and something a little more colorful than lip gloss. But knowing my daughter it wont be for a long time and when it does happen she will hate all my suggestions!

Hopefully she'll come around and realize you want to help!

First of all............pick your battles. I think it is perfectly ok for a 13 yr old to wear light makeup. I don't understand some moms with the no makeup and no socializing rules til high school I believe in being protective but not so much that they will rebel when not around you. BUT....that is just me and I realize I have different views just like a lot of others.

My 15 yr old loves her makeup. I've been a Clinique user since I was about 12 and you can tell by looking at my skin that I take care of it.

I started my daughter at 11 with Clinique cleansing routine. She has been very good about it. Around 12 I took her to Clinique to have a mini makeover so that someone else could show her.

I don't know about your daughter but my daughter responds well when someone else she respects gives her guidance. She respects me and we have a good relationship but sometimes it comes across better (not as a nag) for an older girl to give advice.

well, my neice is going through the same issues ight now, she just turned 13 ad my mother-in-lw has decided she can wear make-up. She's comeup with an ingenius plan. she only let's her have lip gloss, powder, mascara and nuetral/ browns for eye shadow. if there is a more special occasion coming up,she gets some color, but if she wants it, her mamaw has to do it for her. if she doesn't want her mamaw to do it, she doesn't get it. make-up is a privilage just like everything else. good luck

OK I think that the powder is to much. The mascara is fine and so is the eyeliner that should be it.

I can so relate to this issue!! But my daughter is only 11. We have a good compromise, that as with you only on some days to we go for the little extra makeup.

I am in a home based business so I might have a different outlook than some other mamas. As we all know, our own mother stepped off planet Pluto and cannot relate to todays issues. LOL That being said, when teens seem to hear advise from someone else, it is like gold. You might consider having a Mom/Daughter makeover at home with a few friends. Let the girls tell you what looks good on you and the other mothers help girls, other than their daughter, of what looks good on them. Strange but it does seem to work.

Best wishes and have some fun with it. A few games of getting to "know" your daughter is fun also during this time.

At 13, I was allowed to wear lipgloss, light blush and/or mascara. The mascara is because the lashes on my right eye are blonde and the lashes on my left eye are brown. My friends liked to do my makeup, and my folks were fine with that as long as I didn't leave the house! But for going out and about - light and simple. Natural beauty is best, and girls need to learn that not how to use a trowel to apply shadow!

I second Marie. I was allowed very light lip gloss and pale blush at that age and I'll do the same with my daughter.

1 / 3