How Much Formula Should My 5 Month Old Be Getting?

I'm a little confused with the amount of formula I should be feeding my five month old. She sleeps through the night for 11 or 12 hours uninterupted. When she wakes I give her a 6 oz bottle. Three hours later (about 11 or 12) I give her 1tbs of cereal and a 4 oz bottle. I then feed her 4oz three hours later and and 4oz another 3 hours later with some mushy peas or beans and then finally 6oz before bed. This all adds up to 24 oz of formula. She sometimes wants her bottle a little early and I always oblige but basically she seems fine but after reading some other responses I'm worried I'm not feeding her enough. At her four month checkup she weighed 13lbs.

Thank you for the responses. They were helpful and made me a little more relaxed. I didn't have an issue with my older one but you forget so much between kids.

my baby went from 36 oz of formula to 20 oz at 5 months with the introduction to solids. This sounds normal to me. It seemed to me she was eating fewer calories at this transition to solids, but in time she picked up on her solid quantity. But yes, 20 oz is normal with the addition of solids.

I think the best advice you can get on this would be from your pediatrician.

Take care

My son's doctor told me when he was 6 months old that he should be drinking somewhere between 24-32 ounces a day of formula in addition to the baby food. As long as she is gaining ok and she doesn't still seem hungry I am sure you are doing just fine. I know with so many people over feeding their babies these days, it's hard to know what is recommended.

I also have a 5 month old daughter. At her 4month check-up, my pediatrician advised me that she should be having 32 oz of formula, and that was at her 4 months.

Go on Amazon and buy the "Contented Baby Book" by Gina Ford. Gina Ford is a top British nanny. She structures feeding and sleeping schedules. If followed, you cannot go wrong! I have three children and have used her schedules from birth. The book's schedules and menus change according to the child's age. Check it out.

at 5 mons the recommended ammount of of formula is between 20 and 32 ozs. So 24 sounds like a good daily amount.

What a blessing to have your baby sleep 12 hours without a peep! You must be in heaven... as for the feeding, it sounds normal to me. My son was 15 pounds at 6 months and ate much less than his bigger twin. If your baby was hungry you would know, Your baby would wake up through the night to eat.

J., she sounds as if she is doing fine. If she is sleeping through the night then she is not hungry. My doctor told me to feed on demand, so if she is hungry she will let you know. I did daycare 9 years and one parent was told to give a certain amount every 4 hours, the baby cried constantly and they thought she had colic. When I started watching her I increased the formula when she cried and she was happy, no more tears. Each baby is different but they will let you know if they are hungry. Most doctors will say no solids before 6 months but some parents start sooner because their baby requires more nutrition. Just don't ever water down the formula because they need all the vitamins in the recommended dose and less could cause weight and brain related problems. Good luck, you are doing a great job!

1 / 3