How Much Fat Does a 1 Yr Old Need?

Help! I have a degree in health education and cannot find one source or nutritionist who can give me the answer I need. Recently, we figured out that my 14 month old has been having issues like very painful bowel movements (intense shaking and pain during the BM's and over 2 months, since the introduction to dairy, the stools went from soft to hard with blood) and it's due to dairy.

We have an appt with the pediatric gastroenterologist at Nemours in Jax in a few weeks, but I was advised by the ped to take her totally off of dairy now. Having said that, I am wanting to know how many actual fat grams she should have at 14 months and a weight of around 21 lbs. I know she needs about 1000 calories, but how much should be from fat?? I feed her avocados, pretty much all fruits and veggies, enrich her foods with things like flax oil and wheat germ, but I want to make sure she's getting enough...especially now that we're going to have her on fortified rice milk.

Is anyone out there up to date on how much fat she needs? Thank you so much, Moms.

How much fat? Not that much. But it does seem that you are stressing too much over such a young childs diet.Keep it simple. Also I believe avocados are way to strong to digest, even adults get all gassy from them.

I am not responding with help on the fat grams b/c I never worried about that with my kids. Kids will eat when they are hungry & I am a firm beleiver, as long as they are getting the fruits & vegetables they need, I have never pushed them to eat. I push them to try things & at 7 & 9 my kids will eat almost anything. They may not enjoy it, but they will eat it. But when they were little, I just made sure they are what they needed but didn't worry about the fat intake. As far as the bowl movements, I am right with you there. My daughter was sick when she was born & had a hard start. From week 1 that I brought her home, she was constipated & it took the doctors until she was 2 to do something about it. She NEVER had an easy bowel movement & there were times she & I were crying together b/c it was hurting her so bad. I limited her dairy, but still let her have one dairy a day. I gave her apple juice to loosen the stool & fruits & I also tried to get her to drink as much liquids as I could & crakcers/cereals that were higher in fiber than the others. At a young age she knew that she needed to eat fiber & that it would help her. The doctors never really cared much until she was 2 & I told them the NEEDED to do something. They finally put her on Senicot granuals. She chewed the granuals before she went to bed at night. THey worked!! We tried for years to get her off of them & her body didn't want her to. The doctors told me that her body will not get addicted to them, but will need them until the body decides she doesn't. Even though she was on the medicine, I still fed her the same things, high fiber, low dairy. Fially, at about age 5 or 6, my husband had forgot to give her the medicine for a couple nights when I was working & I didn't know. About 4 days without it & she was still having bowel movements, we decided to give it a try again. She never went on them again. She did not have them EVERY day like I had hoped, but it wasn't an issue when she did have them about every other day. She is 9 now & has no lasting results & is very regular!! It is not an easy thing to see your child go through, but just know the doctors didn't want to do anything until I pushed. They told me all the things to feed her to help her, but it did not work, she needed the Senicot & I am SO thankful for it. Hang in there & push if they don't seem to want to help. Even if you try the Senicot, it is a safe medicine & I think it is all natural!!

This is very informative. I know that as far as a two yr old, and over, the amount of fat they should receive is the same as an adult (percentage of daily intake) For a one yr old it is a bit higher (percentage of daily intake) but not much. Avacoda's are so high in fat I think it is a great supplement. My pedi told me not to feed our baby avocado because it was so high in fat and cholesterol.

http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/diet/children-diet2.html

Have you gone to a pediatric dietitian? If you go to eatright.org there is a link to find a dietitian in your area and I think you can select specialties. If not the gastroenterologist might be able to recommend someone. If you get an RD who specializes in kids they should be able to help you.

I looked through the other responses and approximately 30% of her diet being from fat sounds about right. The good fats help build her brain and line her nervous system. Avocados are very healthy. Hemp oil or hemp seeds. Flax, as you said. My daughter liked rice milk but it is so thin and not super nourishing. I like to make homemade milks in the blender out of raw soaked nuts, rinsed and drained, mixed with about twice as much water, some vanilla extract and some cinnamon. Good nuts to try alone or combined are almonds (for calcium), walnut (omega fats), pecan, brazil nut, hazel nut. I also make raw seed milks without soaking them using the same ratio to the water as in the nut recipe. I use alone or in some combo: sesame (for calcium and iron), sunflower, hemp, and sometimes unsulphered dried shredded coconut. Mmmmmm. Oh, and after you belnd for a minute or so there's "pulp" that needs to be strained when you put it in the cup for the child to drink. I usually put the rest in a mason jasr in the fridge and drink it or use in cereal over the next couple days. It seperates and you have to shake it up. I love it. It's natural and very healthy Kids love it, usually, because of the cinnamon and vanilla.
another generally healthy thing I'd like to recommend is Ezekial Bread from the frozen section of the Publix grocery or at health food stores. It's a sprouted multi-grain bread. You know how kids Love bread? With that bread, I can feel good about my child eating bread because it is so very nutritious. Besides the good carbs that break down slowly, there's a decent amount of protein, fiber, and naturally occuring vitamins and minerals. (Don't get the low sodium one, though--too bland). I think 2 big things that cause kids to be constipated are white bread products and dairy products.

My pediatrician recommends 16 oz of WHOLE milk until age 2, which translates to roughly 17 grams of fat per day (50% of her caloric intake). Plus they get nominal amounts of healthy fats from other foods throughout the day as well (assuming you give them a healthy diet). Flax oil is an excellent source of fat if she cannot have milk. Avocados and wheat germ are healthy alternatives as well. Of course, do not go overboard, but at this age there is really no need to worry about or limit the amount of fat or cholesterol, as their little bodies are actually learning how to efficiently process it so that they can do so throughout life. And, as I am sure you know, it is the FAT that is so important for proper brain development at this age. I would stay away form soy. Contrary to popular belief, not good for little ones.

Good for you for understanding that your baby has an intolerance to milk protein. this is NOT lactose intolerance, for lactose is milk sugar, not milk protein.
Congratulations on being proactive & forward-thinking!

Energy required for growth:
http://www.unu.edu/Unupress/food2/UID01E/uid01e0d.htm

Calcium requirements:
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calcium_requirem...

Fats, oils & swets:
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/food_pyramid/fat...

I found this;
Fats:
daily needs for fat amount approximately a third of the infant’s total energy need.
Human milk contains approximately 4 % fats. For the healthy full term infant, major consideration of fat in the infant diet include the adequacy of essential fatty acids to prevent essential fatty acid deficiency. Linoleic acid is the essential fatty acid for humans. The absence of linoleic acid in the diet results in growth retardation and dermatological manifestations. Intakes of linoleic acid, as low as 0.6 % of daily energy intake , can obviate essential fatty acid deficiency and current recommendations specify the minimum level of 0.3 g / 100 kcal in infant formulas.

Here is this:
http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/80569
Infant Care Multivitamin Drops from Twinlab claims "The highest quality and most natural multi vitamin supplement available for infants. It contains 100% natural vitamins A & D derived from the highest quality fish oils. It also contains 100% natural vitamin E derived from natural vegetable oils, balanced B-complex and vitamin C.""No artificial colors or flavors, sugars or sweeteners, fructose, honey, sorbitol, alcohol or preservatives."

http://www.algaecal.com/ plant source of calcium

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium.html lots of stuff about calcium

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/allergy.shtml DIETARY SOURCES OF CALCIUM Dairy products are the highest sources of calcium. Other sources of calcium must be sought when dairy products are eliminated from one's diet. Calcium exists naturally in:
kale, frozen : 180 mg / cup
kale, raw : 94 mg / cup
broccoli , frozen : 94 mg / cup
broccoli , raw : 72 mg / cup
spinach , raw : 56 mg / cup

As for additional fat - I believe you child is getting the really healthy fats from what you described w/ avocado, nuts, etc... but it seems like your question might be really asking about calcium and then if you are feeding the child lots of dark greens, tofu, soy etc... you should be fine. If you are staying away from dairy then look for a whole food supplement like juice Plus that is only fruits and veggies - I have had my kids on that for over 3 years and we are really healthy and BM's are great for all of us! The child is only 14 months? The box of rice milk stated that is not for kids under 3. The reason for that rice is binding. With the issues you have describe I would stay away from Rice. Take a look at the almond milk. Or Soy if you have not tried it but rice will cause you more issues at this age. I hope this helps

1 / 3