How Much Do You Tip Your Cleaning Lady at Christmas?

I have a lady that cleans 2 x's a month. What do you think is the appropriate dollar amount to give her for Christmas? I pay her $80. Shouild i double it? Add $50? Whats the norm??? Im in the service industry and have received everything from small gifts to an extra $20, but thats about it. I dont want to be cheap, but not extravagant either.

Just a thought--for those of us without cleaning ladies--are WE supposed to be getting a tip?????? I need to talk to my husband immediately about this. LOL

Not a damn thing...she sucks. Sadly, my housekeeper is me and I can never seem to keep up with it all...

If there's a norm, I don't know what it is. For a Christmas gift I usually give each lady the same amount that I would pay for one cleaning session. My ladies are, without question, the best, most reliable, most trustworthy cleaning ladies in the state, so I don't consider it extravagant.

Donna - I hate to say it, but many cleaning services do not share tips that are provided to management with the employees. It's best to hand each lady their own envelope with cash.

I've been under the impression that it's customary to tip one weeks cleaning session. My cleaning lady comes in twice a month for $100 at a time and I've always given an extra $100 for an xmas gift.

My cleaning lady cleans every week. I am paying an additional week's pay. That is what we have done the last couple of years.

You are giving her a steady job, why tip her at all? Many in Texas are not citizens and the job is the 'tip'!

Do what you can afford.

Donna H....I would NOT make that assumption....if you have the money, give each lady who comes and cleans for you a separate envelope. Trust me, I know.

Blessings....

We pay her between 1/2 and a full week's cleaning, depending on what we can afford that year. Our lady also comes 2x a month.

If you are supposed to tip 2 weeks' worth, then I guess we are cheap. We have kept her on even though I'm working PT so it would be hard to give her an additional 2 weeks' pay.

Since she cleans twice a month rather than every week, give her a week's bonus.

I have been thinking about this as well as my two cleaning ladies will be coming on Thursday. I pay about $100 per visit, every other week. I tip them each $10/visit so they have EACH received $230 this year so far. Yes, I realize this is just like paying them more. I appreciate all the services they provide for me so I guess I better decide.

I do $25.00 Cash and a small gift. If they work for a service give them cash separately. I pay my cleaning lady 75.00 every two weeks.

Remenber it's the thought that counts.

I pay mine $80 every two weeks (just one lady who comes alone). I tip her $100 for Christmas. She works 6-7 days a week just to get by, so I'm happy to give her the extra bonus. I think it's appropriate to give at least the equivalent of what you pay her for one cleaning session.

This year, I also bought a small gift (about $20 value) for her son.

I pay mine double the first time she comes in December - that way she can use the extra to pay for Christmas gifts.

Please don't take this as a judgemental response but my observation of the situation is that you can afford cleaning services so why is it a bad thing to be extravagant? I think she would appreciate that you appreciate her services and that is reflected in the bonus. I don't think there is anything wrong with going above and beyond, you could be the blessing that she needs and you would've never even known it. Go with what is on your heart regardless of the extravagance of it!

I have a service that comes in every week. Its usually a team of 5 ladies. I give two weeks pay and assume the woman who owns the business is fair about dividing it amongst the ladies.

Is there a standard? I always did an extra weeks worth.

According to the ABC show "Happy Endings" you are supposed to tip 2 weeks worth.

I guess I'm cheap.

I would give an extra $20 (that was my plan) but since I"m not FIRING her like I want to until after the holidays I consider that a bonus in itself. :-)

Last year I doubled her pay for that week and gave her a bottle of wine. So she got a $100 tip.
The previous year I gave her $50 as she had only worked for us for a few months prior to Christmas.

lots of you tip your cleaning lady MORE then my daycare parents "tip" me for Christmas - and I have their kids in my care, kids mind you, for anywhere from 16 to 55 hours a week every single week... hope those of you that tip your cleaners that good, think of your child's care providers that well too!!