How Much Do You Spend on Your Kids for Christmas?????

Hey mamas! I started planning out my Christmas budget and started thinking about gifts for the kids. I was wondering how much (on average) you spend per kid? I am freaking out here.... I budgeted $100 per kid, but when I started pricing out some of the things the kids have talked about I about had a heart attack. The toys are sooooo expensive (and not big, extravagant ones either) that I was going to be able to get 3 things for $100 (1 from mom/dad, and 2 from santa). That didn't include stockings, or pj's that we get for the kids to wear for xmas morning. Realistically, I am guessing it is going to cost more like $150 per kid, with only a couple to unwrap. I snagged a couple of puzzles from my daughters b-day stash to regift to them (GASP!) She doesn't even realize it. Anyway, what do you ladies spend and about how many gifts does that buy?

I never went into debt for Christmas. I would look at my overall Christmas money and go from there. Kids dont care how much you spent, they just care that they got what they wanted.

The way we do Christmas as we have 4 teens is....
we set a budget saying we will spend no more than 500 for Christmas.

SO that means each child get 125.

They each get one big item from their lists.
Then they will get a few more items.
Everyone has the same amount of gifts ...
sometimes in order to get the same amount of gifts we may go over the 125 if we did not use all the funds allotted to one of the kids.
No one complains because no one knows how much the items cost and since they all got the same amount of gifts along with a large item. Christmas is peaceful and enjoyable.

Last year, for our family of six, things were very very tight and we picked names. Everyone got $25 to spend on their person. My husband and I still did the stockings and probably spent a total of $40-50 on those. My kids are spoiled rotten by their grandparents, though, so we've never stressed about it.

This year, my dh and I wanted new phones, and they are expensive. We are buying ourselves discounted, lightly used, phones that are normally 150 for less than 100 each. We are considering those our Yule gifts this year (I already got mine and we are shopping around for him). The kids will pick names amongst each other, and each will have $50 to spend.

We always work within our budget and never go into debt for it, so it has varied through out the years, depending on our financial situation (which has also varied greatly through out the years lol).

I used to not keep track. Just pulled out that credit card and paid the bill later.

Last year we both lost our jobs, so Christmas became an issue. I spent $75 - presents and stocking stuff per my 2 kids. Then $20 a piece for my niece and nephew. $10 for a toy for Toys-4-Tots. My kids didn't get a lot of presents from us, but I made sure that the 2-3 they did get were ones that would keep their interest for time to come, and they would really love! BTW. 2 of them were bought at 50% black Friday deals which is how I afforded them.

This year money is tight again. My plan is the same. Having a cash only Christmas is hard, but it teaches you to work with what you have and focus more on the family side of Christmas.

In our family, we get 1 big gift, and then lots and lots of little, inexpensive gifts. We also look for these little, inexpensive gifts throughout the year, which means we often find them on sale and so that is less expensive, too. For example, it won't help you this year, but consider buying the PJs for next year right after Christmas this year. You'll get a great deal on them. Good luck.

It depends on the year. Last year I was working and so we could afford the $300 laptop for the 9 year old and all the bells and whistles for my kids. This year, I am a SAHM and we just can't afford it this year. My oldest is getting the Fushigi balls (from Santa) and then we are going really cheap on the rest. My 3 year old could care less, so she'll be getting a lot of dollar store things like art supplies and princess wands, etc. I also bought a few things after Christmas last year, so I got a head start!

I only have 2 kids so we might do more than others, but we spend about $350 each. They get one big present from Mom and Dad and one big present from Santa. Then a few more smaller things.

I TRY to spend about $200 per kid, but it goes way over that every year. There is no avoiding it. And if you think about the little things here and there, I am sure we spend over $1000 every year for three kids. This year we have two nieces also and they are getting about $50 each. I think it totally depends on where you are financially, what your kids are used to, where you live, etc. So much goes into it. But I really think we spend about $1000 every Christmas. none of it putting us into debt though or I wouldn't do it. If it has to go on a CC and I can't pay it off immediately, we dont get it.

I have always had to start with what my budget was, and proceed accordingly. When my children were young, whether a present was new or second-hand didn't matter as long as they liked it. This helped a lot. I didn't and still don't want to be in debt for months after Christmas - it ruins any trace of "Christmas spirit"!

Now I have grandchildren, and, of course, it's part of my job description to spoil them! So my budget is a little higher. Even so, it doesn't go past $100 per capita (ever!) at Christmas. My current plan for my granddaughters is that each gets a simple outfit to wear, a book, art supplies, a doll outfit, and something else, depending on that child's interests. Oh, and an ornament for the Christmas tree. The art supplies are inexpensive (discount store), the doll clothes are as well because I look for sales online, and the books are also sale items. I Christmas-shop year-round and I still use good thrift-store items for gifts (we have fine thrift stores here), but at Christmas I do buy them NEW outfits because there are lots of clothes handed down among family members the rest of the year.

Start looking for sales - surely pajamas will come on sale soon, and you might find some other things on your kids' wish lists. Check Amazon; check eBay; check Craigslist.

1 / 3