How Much Cereal Do You Give Your Infant a Day?

Hi all! I have a 10 month old and was just curious about the amount of cereal other infants eat in a day. My pediatrician said she'd like to see my daughter eating 1/2 cup a day, which by my calculations is 8 tbsp. There's simply no way she would eat that much in a day unless that's all she ate. At breakfast we're lucky if we get in 2 tbsp. At lunch or dinner, we can maybe get in another 2, but that's on a good day. My sister in law's pediatrician told her to stop giving cereal at lunch at 9 months and just do it at breakfast. Her son (12 months), who is a big eater, eats about 5 tbsp at breakfast. With the advice all over the board, I was curious what others have been told/are doing?

My son is 8 months and in addition to breast feeding I give him three meals a day.
breakfast - 2 or 3 tblspoons of oatmeal and a stage 1 fruit. lunch - stage 1 fruit and stage 1 veggie.
dinner - 4 tblspoons oatmeal and a stage 1 veggie.

First thing I'd find out would be if it's 1/2 per day prepared - 8 tablespoons sound like a lot to me - my girls are 4 & 10 but I know that infants I have watched would only have a small amount - maybe 2 tbsp - sorry I couldn't be much of a help, but good luck!

My 8 1/2 month old won't eat any baby cereal anymore. He only wants finger foods. (Though he'll take apple sauce and yogurt.) I think you should just listen to your daughter! She'll tell you what she needs. :)

Seems to me the doc might be worried about the baby getting enough vitamins. If she can't eat enough of them shemay needto take a supplement. Nobiggie,somekids eat more than others. At her age, she should be able to eat a bit more if you had gradually increased her intake over the months. In any case, I give my son 4 tablespoons for breakfast and sometimes 4 more for dinner. Depends on what else he is eating. Here is a sample menu that my 9 month old has been eating:
Upon Waking - 6 Ounce Bottle
First meal - 4 tbsp. Cereal mixed with 2-4 tbsp fruit and water
Midmorning - 6 ounce bottle
Lunch - yogurt 4 ounce plain or pastina plus veggies
Afternoon - 6 ounce bottle
Dinner - 2-4 tbsp.veggie, mixed with either cereal OR protein like fish, chicken AND starch like rice or potato
Before Bed - 8 ounce bottle

If she's 10 months old, why don't you just give her some jarred foods like fruit, veggies, meats? She probably just doesn't like the cereal. If you for some reason NEED to give her cereal, you can mix it in with the jarred fruits.

I have a 10mth 3wk old and to be honest, I don't even calculate, I just pour in the bowl, add water and feed. I think it's about 1/2 a cup though. Kiddie bowls are small which is great for portion control. I send it to daycare with him to eat for breakfast since he's dropped off at 8am and some mornings he wakes up at 7 (he does get breastfed at home before daycare though). Some evenings I don't feed him "heavy" food (ie, potatoes, chicken, etc) and I give him some more cereal and some Cheerios. Now I'm wondering if I'm giving him too much cereal based on your posting!! I didn't know there was such a thing! I usually mix the Gerber Oatmeal w/Banana one with either the rice or barley one.

Dear K.,

I wouldn't worry about her eating exactly what the doctor prescribes. First all children have different appetites and I think the doctor is giving you a general guideline. Is it that she doesn't care for cereal or that she is full. If she doesn't care for the taste and you want to try to get her to eat more. Try mixing some fruit into it and even with the vegetable I used to mix some in to make it a little thicker. If she is full and content with what she is eating I wouldn't stress about it. My son used to eat more than 8 tbs in a day (6 just a dinner) and my daughter ate less then that in a day. Just a note my kids were beginning table food by ten months. Pancakes, french toast, regular toast with lots of fruit. I really don't think baby cereal is that important at 10 months old. Ask your doc and see if you can start introducing small amounts of table food. She should love it!!

at 10 months your daughter should be eating regular foods! have you tried to puree foods for her or give her jarred baby food? if you wanted to you could mix baby cereal with baby food...but she should be eating proteins, veggies, fruits etc...by 11 months my son was eating everything that we ate!

You've gotten some great advice about how all children are different and you need to go with what works best for your daughter. However, a few have mentioned just substituting fruits and vegetables instead of cereal. This is not an equal substitution! We live in such a carb-phobic society that even babies/children aren't getting the energy providing grains that they need. If you haven't begun so already, it's a great time to add other foods, but to be honest my sons are almost 15 months old and I still keep a box of baby cereal in the kitchen just in case. Since it's fortified, I use it to thicken their foods or add it to mashed banana or applesauce if they're not up for their usual "big boy foods" breakfast. My boys have always eaten A LOT of food (they were eating 7-9T of cereal 3x a day at 10 months, in addition to a full cup of fruit/veggies and protein at each meal) and are consistently lean, but that's because of their genetic make up and activity level. They have a girl cousin who is 5 weeks older than them who sometimes will only eat in one day what they'll eat in one sitting (much more like your daughter). My pediatrician only advised that babies will let you know when they're done eating and to not force them to eat if they don't want to. If she's gaining weight as she should be and is healthy, you're doing a great job!

1 / 3