How Much Can I Lift While Pregnant?

I'm curious if anyone knows how much weight you can lift when your pregnant. I'm 24 weeks. I've heard several different things. I heard different trimesters are different. I also heard you can lift heavy things as long as you did before you became pregnant and don't strain yourself. I do lifting at work so that is why I'm concerned. Thanks!

I lift my son several times a day (sometimes have to carry him around, but I don't carry him up/down stairs anymore). He weighs about 32 pounds. I am 7 months pregnant. I asked my midwife, and she said heavy lifting isn't going to cause early labor or anything, but I could pull a muscle, etc. Just lift properly, and you will be fine.

I have always heard no more than 10lbs. However, it looks like I'm in the minority.

My doctor always told me not more than 40 pounds- and esp. for the pregnant mom, because your ligaments are looser and you're more injury prone.

I lifted my 2 and a half year old the entire time I was pregnant and he weighs about 30 pounds. Just be careful not to strain your back!

I was told by my doctor that I could lift 20 pounds.
~ K.

It depends on several different things: what it is or how heavy it is; your pregnancy or complications; your physical ability; etc etc. If you are trying to get out of doing any task at work or thinking about taking "light duty", just talk to your OB. They will be better able to assess the situation and advise you of the safest course of action. Best of luck!

It depends on your health and fitness prior to your pregnancy, as well as your probabilty of having problems with your pregnancy. (Your history, family history). The only people who can determine these things are you and your OB/GNY. I highly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. But go with your feelings, if you "feel" it is too heavy, especially later in your pregnancy, don't take any risks.

I had an OB tell me 25 pounds, but I've also read 35 pounds. I am a physical therapist, and definitely had patients who weigh more than that when I was pregnant. What I did was, just always ask someone to help me lift the child if they were over that range--like their parent or nurse. I do think you're right that if you are in good shape and know what you are doing you can lift more. I would avoid anything large & awkward, as well as too heavy.

1 / 3