How Much Breast Milk in Bottle?

Hi. I'm wondering how mothers determine how much breast milk to put in their baby's bottle. Most resources suggest about 25 oz per day divided by number of feedings, but I am curious to know if the amount differs according to how much a baby weighs. For anyone who is willing to share specifics, that would be great! How big is/was your baby (pounds and age), how many oz in the bottle, how many feedings per day, and at what age did the amount seem to stabilize? Thanks for sharing!

I sent mine in several smaller (2 oz) bottles, along with some very small 1 oz bottles. This was because the center she attended had a policy about not reheating or reserving milk. So if I sent it in bigger amounts, more ended up getting thrown away. They could always warm a second (or third) bottle, but I hated hearing some milk was thrown away.

Her intake stablized around 4 months, but I still sent the smaller bottles.

I have an almost 3 month old. He currently weighs about 13 pounds. He gets fed about 6 times a day including middle of the night (which I REALLY hope will soon be just 5 times a day!). The other day when my mom tended so my husband and I could get out on a date he took about 8 ounces of pumped milk in a bottle, granted that was his last feeding of the day. My best guess is that he usually takes about 6 ouncees per feeding (thats how much I can fairly easily pump if I pump at meal time). To be safe, I usually freeze my milk in 4-5 ounce portion and pull 2 of them out for times like that... thaw one at a time and only use the 2nd if needed.

Most moms store and serve 2 to 4 ounces ar a time to avoid waste. Remeber, babies can't do long division, so your feeding are not likely to be evenly spaced. ;) They also hit growth spurts so often you're not likely to see any real "stabilizing." If you nurse on cue, you can watch for 5-6 wet and 1-2 soiled diapers a day for reassurance and then skip the mental work of ounces/timing/etc. It requires a bit more faith, but overall much less work. Call your local La Leche League Leader for free and accurate help with this sot of question. You can find her at www.lll.org. Best wishes!

My son is 7 months old and we're having a lot of trouble getting him to drink liquids, so I've been talking to my pediatrician about how much breastmilk he needs. She said 20 oz a day is enough liquid for him, but not enough calories, but since he eats solid foods, 20 oz + solids three times a day is fine. So - hopefully that gives you an idea depending on how old your child is. If I were you, I'd just ask your pediatrician. Good luck!

I remember my baby eating about one ounce per month of his age, every 2-3 hours. So 2 ounces when he was 2 months, 4 ounces when he was 4 months, etc. He stabilized at 6 ounces when he was 6 months old, and still eats that amount at 11 months, every 3-4 hours now. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Sorry I'm not more specific on weights, but my little guy was on the lower end of the charts, so a bigger baby might need more. What I started doing was giving him more than I thought he would want for a few days, to see where he would stop, and that helped establish his amount.

My son, 8 months, takes 3 4oz bottles while I am at work (8-5:30). He drinks them about every 3 hours and the amount has been the same since I went back to work at 3 months. Now that he is eating some solids, there is sometimes an oz. or 2 left in his bottle when I get home. When I'm home I breastfeed on demand and I'd say he eats about 8 times/day total. When he was younger he'd eat 8-10 times/day.

I'm not sure how much he weights now, but at his 6 mo. appointment he was 18 lbs. 27 inches.

My daughter was 8 pounds at birth. And was gaining about a 1/2 pound a week for the first two months or so.I nursed for at least two weeks before i started any pumping. When I first started pumping i would just store as much as i could get out. 2 sometimes 4 ounces at a time. I only used it when I went out on a date or something.
By about a month and a half I stared getting her on a schedule. By three months it seemed to be fairly set although it still shifted. I started having my mom watch her one day a week for several hours while i work. And on weekends for a date. By around 3 months my daughter would drink about 4-5 ounces from a bottle. Sometimes more though so I always sent extra milk with my mom. I fed her seven-eight times a day. So she was probably getting around 28-30 ounces a day by three months.
During her growth spurts she ate way more. One time around 3&1/2 months she ate over 12 ounces in one sitting without spitting up! She drank two 6 oz bottles of pumped milk and then she nursed on top of it a little. So its hard to say becaue the amounts shift depending on their needs but I would say that my daughter was probably consuming somewhere between 24-32 ounces a day by three and a half months.
But it's not split evenly of course. My daughter would eat the most in the morning and evenings. During the day she could probably get by with 4 oz. and would want like 6-8 ounces in the evenings.
Now she is four and 1/2 months weighs about 17 pounds and is 25 inches long. She eats six times a day with two feedings clustered together in the evening before bedtime. Now I can pump 4 ounces from each side. If she has already eaten then i get about four - six ounces in the morning. So I store my milk in 4-6 ounce amounts and she seems to do great with that. i would say an average amount during the day is 5-6ounces though and sometimes more.
Sorry if that is not super helpful. But it is hard to put it into exact quantities. Babies are good about getting what they need. If you offer them too much they (at least mine will) not finish it or turn away or get mad that I keep trying to give it to her. If i give her too little she lets me know:) A book that i read (called on Becoming Babywise) says that by 4-6 months (i think) babies should be consuming about 32 ounces a day divided by number of feedings.

You know, every baby is totally different. My other children were taking 4-6 ounces of breastmilk per feeding through about 9 months. This baby (he is 5 months) has been taking 8 1/2 ounces per feeding. He eats 5 times a day! I mostly nurse him, but I teach an early morning aerobics class twice a week (bottle while I'm gone) and we usually take a bottle to church so I don't miss out on the meeting when the baby is hungry. Anyway, I based my amounts to feed him on how much came out when I pumped with my Medela and it was 8 1/2 ounces. At first I thought "this is way to much!" but he is hungry if we don't feed him that much. My son is average weight at about 16 pounds (55%) and above average height (85%) so a little bigger than normal, but not much. I hope this helps. Good luck!

It's a little to put it into an exact amount. Remember that breast milk goes through babies a lot faster than formula so it's going to be very different than a formula fed baby. I only did a bottle of breast milk once in a great while with baby #1....like if I was going on a date with my hubby or something. But my daughter was a very big healthy girl at 4 months she was 17 lbs and 24 3/4 inches long. And for her at that time she would drink about 4 oz of milk from a bottle and she still ate about every 2 to 3 hours. The key is to just always feed on demand. So if you are only going to feed by bottle just make sure you have plenty of milk stored up so she can have a bottle as often as needed. I also remember by the time my daughter was 6 months. she was pretty stabilized in her feedings. by this time she wouldn't take bottles anymore so she was only breast feed but she was about every 3 hours on the dot. I hope this helps some. Again just remember that the best way is to feed on demand when they are little and they will get on there own feeding routine as they get older.

1 / 3