How Much and What to Teach 4 Year Old Going into School?

As a single mom, I feel I don't have much choice has to whether I can homeschool or nbot, as a disabled single mom, I don't feel I can buy him the superior education I want for him. I just want the best advantage I can give him going into public school. I want him to be in the gifted programs like I was or offered them as I was. ost homeschoolers say enjoy time with your 4 year old and you can start school later, but this my be my only opportunity to give him an advantage in his education.

Does anyone have any advice as to what to teach him? Our what skills he might need? I know listening skills and attention span stuff helps, but what else? My son is very bright and I just don;t want to miss any opportunity to help him advance in life. Maybe I watched to many shows on what a child needs to be the among the advanced but its important.

Thanks for all the great responses. As for response 2 and 3, you make it sound as though I tie him to the chair and force him to memorize stuff and seem as though if he does not go into a gifted program that I will take it out on him...SO NOT TRUE. I just want to help him. I will keep reading and playing with him with his alphabet toys and other learning toys. He like the basic worksheets and so I will continue those. Plus plenty of real world experience at the local musuems and kids activities. Thanks.

The most important thing for him right now are social skills. The academics are not a key issue at this point. He will be going to school with kids that have been in day care, mothers day out and pre-k and they will have all or most of their social issues out of the way so that they are ready to learn.

Kinder is not like it used to be. Those kids have to be ready to write (so maybe some fine motor development like play dough or bead stringing), sit still, listen, line up (BIG one) and some even start reading, so letter recognition and phonics.

But, as a former pre-k teacher, I would say that the social skills are the big one. Get him around as many kids as you can with you not there. They really do act differently when they are apart from you.

Why is it so important to be in the gifted program? Is it for him, or for you? Just because your son is smart, doesn't make him "advanced". Just because a child IS "advanced" doesn't give them any advantages later on in life. All it does is give the parents something to brag about.

Sorry if that seems harsh. The truth often is. The first thing to do is examine YOUR motives. Next, look at the Pre-K programs at your local elementary.

You say "this may be my only opportunity to give him an advantage in his education." What advantage? By second grade, no one will be able to tell who was home schooled, and who wasn't. The only grade that really makes a difference in is Kinder. And, believe me. The teachers can tell who was home schooled. Those are the children crying for the first month because they aren't used to being away from Mommy!

Stop stressing youself, and your son, out.

At this age, let him lead but give him choices and encourage to go "beyond the box."

My son is 5 and I just started reading up on a curriculum called Tools of the Mind. It focuses on self discipline and critical thinking skills for preschool to primary grades.

Just enrich his enironment; he is 4. Potential is neurological, he is either gifted, or he is not, you cannot get him education so that he will absorb more education than he has the potential to. If you read, he sees you read, you read to him, you use an enriched vocabulary well in good gramatical structures, you challenge him to be courious and provide age appropriate expereinces, you will do everything you need to do.

Average children need good mothers just as much as gifted children and educationaly deficient, and good mothering does not produce giftedness, nor does poor mothering produce children whose intelectual status is on the left side of the bell curve. If your son is already bright, you don't really need to do all that much, and there is not much you can do to stop a child from being gifted if they already are.

Good gifted programs do not begin until 4th or 5th grade. Many children who learn to read and write very quickly and easliy will find reading and writing to learn more difficult, and will be more average in their academic persuits than many might have thought early on. This is why it is important for you to not just enrich your child's envioronment with vocabulary and instill how highly you value education, but to also be flexible enough to accept him as he is once you can make the measure that matters so much to you. By the time you get there, if he is, or is not gifted, it should not be a disapointement to either of you if he is not. Many more people are average than are gifted...and they do just fine. What you want is for him to be a happy, well educated person who lives up to his potential. Failing to live up to a mark that his mom finds too important will not help him in that regard, so I would let the gifted idea go, and just concentrate on helping him be all that he can be, instiling good values and giving him the gift of a large and rich vocabulary because you use it and you both read about it all the time.

I think going into any LakeShore learning type store is great. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Feeding-Teether-Bags/lm/R384O3...

It's easy enough to get him a kindergarten workbook and start there. They will usually start by ensuring he learns/knows how to read and write his letters and numbers, upper and lower case, organize shapes, sizes, simple math concepts, etc. Also, if he's at home with you all day now, make sure he gets socialized! I think some parents go overboard on the "school smarts" and forget how important it is for kids to play, interact with others, share toys, etc.

Best wishes

The big thing they'll be looking for when starting kindergarten is the ability to write upper and lower case letters, write his name clearly, and recognize basic shapes, colors and numbers.

Whether or not he's in the gifted programs will depend on his natural abilities as well as other factors, many of which may be out of your control (for instance, how many openings they can fill or how well he performs during exams). Keep in mind that even if he doesn't pass the exam in elementary school, he may further down the road.

I wouldn't stress at all about whether he gets in. His future won't depend on whether or not he's in GATE. My husband is an extremely smart guy who was never in GATE but graduated college with honors and now owns a successful business. I was in GATE and I'm glad I had the opportunity, but other than earning college credits in high school (which allowed me to get out of college in four years, in a time of severe budget cuts/limited classes), I don't think it defined my future.

ETA: Don't see how I'm implying you're tying your child to a chair to learn things or forcing GATE on him. Sorry it somehow came across that way. Just sharing my personal experience as a mom of an older child who's been through kindergarten and as someone who's been through GATE personally.

Google "kindergarten readiness" and RELAX! He's 4! Good luck!

Also--we all have high expectations for our kids, but not all kids are exceptional--will he be able to handle that kind of pressure?

Kindergarten starts with cutting, printing, counting and basic reading. Knowing his address and phone number, etc.

check with your local school district for their KG expectations checklist. Working from this list will help focus your efforts.

When teaching your child, I find it always works better if presented from a hands-on, fun approach. Methods using rote/memorization tend to bore most children! Avoid worksheets.....use lots of books & story boards to teach important elements. ABC puzzles, foam ABCs, & ABC blocks are all easy ways to teach letter recognition. A lot of these supplies can be bought 2ndhand...which really helps. Your local church bulletin is a good place to advertise your needs!

& please keep in mind, regardless of how bright your child is, not all children are offered placement in the enrichment program in public schools. There are many children & only a few spots available. Be ready to offer enrichment at home!

1 / 3