How Many Words Should a 11 Month Old Be Saying (How Clearly)?

I have to admit, I was watching 16 and Pregnant earlier. I saw a 10 month old say "turtle" clear as day. My daughter is just saying momma, dadda, boom boom (binkie), and nanana, she tries to say my sisters name (but it just sounds like almost there sounds). She is learning 2 languages.......and she can point to "circle, square, and triangle" when I ask her to. I'm just curious.

Ok great, thanks ladies. I was just really worried there for a minute when I saw that 10 month old say "turtle" and so clearly. Another thing that someone mentioned, that I am concerned about is that she doesn't really gesture. She doesn't point or wave bye bye. I know she knows HOW to wave bye bye, but we are very lucky if we get to see it. It's a rare event. She NEVER points.

At 11 months, my son didn't have a single word he could say clearly. Not even Mama. My doctor said she wouldn't be worried until he hit 18 months without any words, because he could follow simple commands. He's now 2 and a chatterbox, reading numbers, naming colors, saying shapes. The most important thing to note is whether she understands you when YOU speak - and it sounds like she does - so I wouldn't worry at all.

My son is also learning two languages, and it does slow down the speaking process initially, because the brain is deciphering two words for each meaning. No worries, it's hugely beneficial in the long run!si

My 2 year old would not speak until his little brother was born! He went straight to short speeches about things I had no idea he knew about. Example: Mom! Take suitcases downstairs. Get plane tickets. Go Disneyland! Mom! :)

There is a pretty broad range for what it considered normal. Some babies start very early and others wait longer. At 11 months, your daughter sounds like she is doing just fine. Every kid is different. My son started talking around age 1 but my 19 month old daughter still has only a few words that she can say clearly. My pediatrician is not concerned since she understands most of what we say to her and is usually able to make us understand what she wants without words. If you need reassurance talk to your pediatrician at your daughter's 1 year check up.

My son just turned one and he says, Momma, Dadda, bye bye, hi, night night and yum. Sounds like your daughter is doing great!

I have heard (don't know if this is a fact or not) that learning two languages can delay speech so if you are only teaching her for fun, not b/c there is family that speaks two languages, you might want to research to see if it's best to learn one language first then learn the next language. Again, that was just something I heard.

0 and 0...shes 11 months old. the fact she knows some shapes is impressive. dont push her she will learn what she neeeds to learn when she needs to learn it. all she should be doing right now is playing

Every child is vastly different with respect to language development. There is no need for concern unless she doesn't start replacing gestures with words around age 2... even then as long as it's a close approximation she's still within normal limits.

By age two, the average toddler knows 20-30 words with some clarity.

my 16 months says mama, dada, baba (for barbara) bye, hi and "agua" for water in spanish......but at 11 months... none........

My 16 month old can say mama and dada and the rest is just "ba ba ba..." and other sound. Though he knows more than 60 works but he just can't say them yet. He can also understand commands. In my next doc appointment for my son, I will ask him about it. I am also concerned my son is not really saying any words clearly yet but your daughter is only 11 months so I think she is doing fine. I have heard though that girls speak sooner than boys.

1 / 3