How Many Times a Week Do You Go to the Grocery Store?

How many times a week do you go to the grocery store? Target? Walmart? Costco or Sam's Club?

I've recently realized that I'm spending too much time and money at these stores on a weekly basis. I find myself needing to go to one or more of these stores almost every other day and I'd really like to only grocery shop once (maybe twice) a week!

I'd really appreciate some helpful advice from those of you that are able to do this! How do you buy a weeks worth of fresh fruit, bread, veggies, lettuce, etc?

Thank you =)

One of the reasons that I NEVER go to Walmart is that their carts are so insanely small that I can't fit enough in there each trip (especially if I have at least 2 kids with me), and end up having to make another trip to get the rest...I think it is deliberate to make people come back more frequently.

Target--that's my store. Even if I don't have any kids with me, I still get one of those supersized carts with seating for 3 kids--gives me a TON of space to put the items I need, and I don't have to back for a LONG time.

I almost never go to Costco anymore--when I do, I focus on the frozen goods, stock up, and don't go back for 2-3 months.

I grocery shop at Ultra Foods because it is MUCH cheaper than Jewel & Dominick's, and then I get my produce at Westbrook (on 63rd St)--VERY cheap fruits/veggies, or if I want organic items I go to Whole Foods on 63rd St in Willowbrook.

once unless its a week I am having friends for dinner. I make a list of everything I need including planned out dinner items. Every once in awhile I forget something on the list so i have to go.
I hate hate hate grocery shopping. I like to get in and get out. I have no patience with some people when it comes to the grocery.

Sometimes it seems I go to the grocery every other day. I went Monday and then again yesterday for milk. 2 gallons a week is not enough. I do buy extras when I can--esp on sale. Sometimes it seems I can buy what I think is enough for the week and my family eats it is a matter of days so I have to get more. Target is almost every week depending on their sales and I don't shop at Sam's Club or Costco.

I shop at 5 stores (to get the best prices, and yes, $800-$1200 a month in savings is worth the extra $20 in gas... they're all within 2mi of my house. I could get all the things I need at ONE store, but it would cost me an arm and a leg)... so I'm always shopping one week, and then don't need to the 2nd week unless I need something.

QFC one day
TraderJoes the next
Whole Foods a third day
Veggie Mart & Bakery a fourth
Central Market a fifth

I have an absolute cash budget of $300 every 2 weeks, though... so I'm not spending a crazy amount. I generally spend $200-$250 on week 1 and then whatever is left over goes for extras on week 2.

Milk is usually 3 months until expiration... I buy 12 half gallons. That's a 2 week supply for us.
Bread lasts for a week, I buy as much as we need, and then reup on week 2
I get a lot of my veggies frozen from Trader Joes, the fresh ones I buy as neded.
Meat freezes
Leafy things either keep for about 2 weeks in the crisper, or I have sealing pot type herb keeper things that keep fresh herbs for months.
Roots keep dry for ages
We're not big fruit people. My son is the only one who eats fruit... and his fruits keep: like mikans/oranges those keep for weeks when I buy a crate of them, and Bananas that get all spotty I freeze for banana bread. Kiwi's get eaten so fast there's no need to worry about them.

((It periodically gets brought up how much X costs, where. Hawaii is more expensive than Seattle -but not by much! I could move there and not flinch at my grocery bill-, and parts of NewEngland are about the same... but we're generally 2x-5x more expensive up here than the rest of the country.))

I do a big shopping trip at Walmart and BJs every two weeks. Usually I am back at BJs for milk or Public for produce in the middle of those trips. I plan out our meals for two weeks so I don't have to run out for much. And plus I am on a budget. We have one account strictly for groceries and eating out. We generally leave just enough in there to get what we need and a little to play with. So I have to shop wisely and I realized reducing my trips reduced my $$$$$.

We go every Sunday.

I write out the menu for the week. Main meal, side dishes, lunches and breakfast. Then go through the cupboards, fridge and freezer to see what I will need for them. Write down what I need to get.. right down to the spices. Sometimes we run out of milk or bread before the week is over but we just stop at a quick mart and don't go to the bigger ones ( plus they are an hour away from us)

If you buy lettuce as a head and not the precut packages it will last for the week. Most other fruit and veggies will last a week. Banana's are the only ones that I find will go bad before a week if I don't buy them green/ just starting to turn yellow. But then again, my kids normally don't give banana's a chance to go bad :)

I can't believe the people that have responded saying they go 4-5 times a week! I go once a week, that's it, usually on Saturday or Sunday. Its all about being organized and knowing what you're eating for the week and when to eat it. This is what I do: I make a menu for the week and make my shopping list accordingly. (I try my best to only buy what's on my list which helps with over spending.) When making my menu, I plan the meals that use produce that will go bad the quickest for the beginning of the week. The heartier produce that will last 6-7 days is used in meals towards the end of the week. Of course, there's occasionally times when I need to make a quick trip to the store for an ingredient that I forgot to buy but its not often.

So, I live directly next to a grocery store... the Monday morning deliveries are incredibly fun at 4am... UGH. But, that being said, it has turned into my "pantry". I probably go there 5 times a week, minimum... if not twice in one day.

However, when I'm feeling motivated (which, unfortunately, isn't often when I work full-time and have an hour commute on each end of my day), I figure out what I'm going to make for dinner every night of the week on Sunday and do one big shopping trip... and then if I've forgotten something, it's easy enough to run next door and grab it...

Also, as far as fruits and veggies go, find out how to properly store them in order to make them last longer... Ex: I just read that tomatoes shouldn't be stored in the fridge... but I've been doing that forever. Apparently they should be stored room-temp and flat on a counter (especially the grape/cherry kind) and used within a few days of purchase.

Once, unless we need to swing by somewhere and get milk or bread.

We plan ahead, we take a list (there is a list on the fridge for people to add to) and we usually hit one of the stores where we can get all the things we need (like Giant vs a smaller store if we need a lot of toiletries). Don't buy lettuce in fancy packages anymore. By the head lasts longer. In general, cut your own veggies. They last longer whole.

1 / 3