How Many Ounces per Feeding Does a 4 Month Old Need?

My son will be 4 months old on the 14th of this month. Up until a week ago, he was only getting breastmilk (nursing while with him and pumping at work and while away). However, he was seeming hungry all the time and I just couldn't keep up, so we started supplementing with formula last week. We have been feeding him about 5 ounces per bottle about every 2 hours or so. I am just wondering how many ounces per feeding is typical for this age??? I was thinking that if he ate more per feeding his feedings could be stretched out more? He does sleep through the night, typically 9-10 hour stretches, so maybe he is just catching up during the day. Or is this just a growth spurt?? Any information would be much appreciated because since most of the time has been nursing, I just dont know how much he needs.

A., It sounds like you are doing great to me!!!! You have a happy boy who sleeps all night!! I think all kids are different, my middle one, also a boy came home from the hospital drinking 8 oz of formula...because I didn't make enough milk to keep him happy, but I also had that problem with my 1st one also. If you try to give him too much milk in the bottle, he won't drink it. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job...don't sweat the small stuff!!

Babies will eat when they are hungry!
my son would eat 8 + oz at a time at 6 weeks old, and the doctor told me not to feed him that much. I did what any new mom would do... i called my mother. on her advise i cut the hole in the nipple a bit and added rice cereal.
it worked for him. yes i know no solid food until they are older. every child is different, he just could not be sustained with formula, and it worked for him.

He could eat 6-8 oz per feeding at this age. And in about a month you could start spoonfeeding formula and cereal really watered down for his late feeding. He should be able to go more than 2 hrs at a time between feedings. I would give four oz, get him to burb good, and then try to give 3 more oz. Then he should be able to go 3 or more hours before the next feeding. Breast feeding is every 2 hrs, but formula is harder to digest and usually takes longer before they are hungry again.

Babies will eat when they are hungry!

Sounds normal to me. My daughter ate 4-5 oz every 2-3 hours when she was 4 months old. She didn't start drinking more until about 6 months when she drank 6 oz every 3-4 hours.

The rule with babies is the same in every aspect of their lives: what they want=what they need. Give your baby as much as he wants to drink. He will be fine. Babies do not have the overeating instinct, unlike some adults--who tend to be overly stressed about their conditions and then overeat.

I know there is a formula you can do to calculate an estimate of how many ounces your child needs, but I can't find it in my references right now. (where is my infant nutrition info when I need it?!?!)

I also know the calculation is based off of weight of the child, so the fact that he's 4 months old doesn't really matter. Again, the calculation is only an estimate, and individual children vary.

I think Jennifer S' response has it right or very close.

Maybe he's ready to start taking a little rice cereal, mixed with breastmilk. If you start giving him formula, your supply might diminish.

All babies are different. My youngest daughter started taking 6oz at the age of 6 weeks. But she still only takes 6oz today. Your baby is just fine.

1 / 3