How Many Ounces of Breastmilk Does 9 Month Old Need

Hi Moms,
I am exclusively breastfeeding and am would like to know what is the average range / ounces for a 9 month old. I know when he was a newborn the pediatrician said 35 ounces is good in a 24 hour period.. And it seemed like he got that much if not more at the time.
I know now I defianetely do not produce that much. I did a pumping test the other day and only got one ounce after 5 hours on one side and 3 ounces on the other. That low amount makes me nervous. But maybe it was the time of day?
I read online 16-20 ounces is sufficient for a 9 month old....but that does seem low. I am trying to pump after he nurses to up my supply and I take fennugreek. I really cant pump all day and give him bottles in replacement of nursing, to see exactly how much I am producing becuase he nurses to sleep.
Thanks

Don't forget that the pump offers no indication of how much you're producing. The baby is much more efficient than the pump in getting the milk. Also, some people just aren't good pumpers (I was one of them!) A sterile mechanical device just doesn't compare to a snuggly, cuddly baby.

please dont start giving him bottles because of this worry. if you no longer want to exclusively breastfeed because (fill in blank), thats fine, but dont do it for this fear of not producing enough.

you cannot go by what the pump gives you!!! the pump cannot give you an accurate reading because they cannot truly replicate your baby's feeding. the minute you introduce the bottle, you tell your body its making too much. so then your body makes a little less, and now the baby is still hungry, so you give him another bottle making this cycle go on and on.

at nine months of age, your baby will start to be more active and eat solid foods. as long as your baby seems satified, your fine. dont worry about the ounces or you will go crazy. every baby is different anyway so you cant really go by whats "normal".

some suggestions for you are too always make sure you nurse your baby before eating any solids. this way, he is not filling up with solids instead of the breastmilk. another thing you should really consider, instead of pumping instead of nursing, just pump right after he eats. nurse him and when he is done, put him in the highchair with a finger food of sorts and continue pumping. even if you dont get anything or much, you are telling your body to make a little more. you can also save these few ounces here and there for the future. pumping after nursing is the best way to boost milk.

please dont worry about these things, at 9 months your baby is thriving and will be able to communicate one way or another if there was a real problem. you know your child by now so you would see a real problem. having a happy baby is the best way to measure these things. just nurse before food, and pump after nursing, but other than that, relax, your baby will do great.

and btw, when they really start moving, its even more concerning. my daughter didnt gain an ounce for 3 months when she really started to be mobile. i was worried at first, but then i realized she was eating great, and moving every waking minute so of course she was using all her calories up. these worries never stop. good luck

I can't get much if I pump but baby is an Olympic nurser! I have BIG boobs so I know they are good producers but pumping is aweful. If I did a pump test I would get very little but baby is happy, healthy, growing and strong so if your baby is too don't worry! A.

My son is 9 months. He gets 6 oz of breastmilk four times a day, for 24 oz total. I nurse him in the morning before work, then pump 6 oz at work (I have to pump twice at work to get this amount), then nurse him when I get home and again before bed. I am assuming that I am producing about 6 oz when I nurse him, because I was producing a bit more than that when I had been pumping in the morning before work. As others have said, if your baby seems satisfied then it is probably enough. My son also eats solids 3 times a day. I think it is more difficult to get milk out with the pump than it is for your baby to get out. Finally, any time I feel like my supply is low I nurse my son more frequently for a couple of days and that helps to restore my supply.

You pediatrician should be able to advise you best on how many ounces. If I recall correctly, at that age, it's about 24-36 ounces/day.

Here's a website for parents from the American Academy of Pediatrics (your pediatrician should be following their policies). I have it on the page for infants - you can navigate from there to see if you can find the information you need.
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/P...

I've read that the amount of milk expressed by a breastpump is not the actual amount that your baby is drinking. As a matter of fact, your baby is drinking more than what the breastpump can pump because of their developed suckling mechanism. Remember, your baby's ability to suck is stronger than 3 & 6 months old. If your baby is on target for his weight as per your pediatrician, you shouldn't worry. And my ped told me that by 6 months I should be introducing my baby (now 6 months) all kinds of foods (pured ofcourse) my baby will get the nutrients from these foods as well. So the breastmilk is sufficient and all the other foods you should already be introducing to your 9 month old. If you don't feel secure, ask you ped if this is normal.

One need not measure milk. Just see if he is growing. If he is putting on weight and sleeping and having wet diapers, then he is getting enough milk. Unless you are using a professional hospital quality pump, I wouldn't trust what you can pump out and measure.

That being said, you sleeping is the most important thing for producing more breastmilk. Stress also inhibits let down (which will effect pumping - but not nursing b/c you two know what you are doing together).

Why no food at 9 months? I haven't heard of that. Solid food is usually introduced at 4-6 months.

Try not to worry too much about measuring the quantity your baby is eating. Lots of women produce far more milk while nursing than they do while pumping, so how much you get while pumping is NOT an accurate measure of how much your baby gets when he feeds. Also if you replace feeding with pumping you may find your supply drops, as you get better stimulation while nursing. If he is growing well and thriving, sleeps well and has lots of energy, that's all you need to know! You don't need to measure the amount. Also, he will be moving onto solids at this age, and so milk becomes only part of his diet instead of everything.
I had one friend who could never get a drop of milk when she pumped, but she fully breast-fed all of her kids. So she produced plenty of milk when nursing, just not for the breast pump!

My six month old is drinking about 30 ounces of breastmilk a day, about 7 oz of baby food (various kinds, we do a lunch and a dinner) and 2-3 tablespoons of rice cereal. Also--he weighs almost 18 pounds. I imagine that he will continue on this track and as he gets bigger and hungrier he will eat more and more food and less and less breastmilk.
I work full time so I pump 5-6 times a day and nurse him probably 3-4 times(2 real feedings and 2 "light snakcs"). On the weekends he only nurses, no bottles. On the weekends he sneaks in an extra nursing and eats the same amount of baby food, so I have to assume that he is getting around the same amount.
If your baby is happy and full and gaining weight he is eating just fine. Pumping while you are home caring for baby is frustrating and difficult. On the weekends I only pump after the big morning feeding and again at 10pm now that he has given up all the nighttime feedings. My son sleeps from 8pm-5am.
Fennugreek works. I like the Yogi tea, I see results the day after drinking 3-4 cups a day.

1 / 3