How Many Days Are Your Kids Absent from School Each Year?

Mniece is sick and this will be her 9th absense from school. Her mom is worried that she will have to go to summer school to make up for hte missed days.. She posted on facebook.. someone replied that if the child misses 8 days they would have to repoeat the grade!!! That seems extreme to me.. I know every state is different...

But what isa normal number of absences for your kids..

My kid's school is 10 days and they are submitted for retention. At which point truancy officers are called in, guidance couselor is called in, it goes before a review board. Last year my son missed 8 1/2 excused days. Excused/Unexcused, it didn't matter. Late arrivals/Early dismissals when they add up to 6h = 1 day missed.

He battled two bad rounds of asthma flare up that included an ER visit. The school even called and said please send him, if he gets too bad we'll call you, but send him.

He had to go, and did the last 6 weeks without missing 1 day. That was hard.

As soon as a child reaches 6 absences here, or equal to 6 through tardies and absences, a letter from the principal is sent home with a warning and an offer of "help" in getting the child to school in order to obtain the best possible education. Yeah. Because when my child has a barf bug, the barf bug counts and says "Damnit! Time to pack up and leave the kid alone! She's nearing day 6! Mom is going to get reported to the truancy officer if she goes over 6!"

I may be incorrect but I think that in Texas you cannot have more than 3 days in one month or 10 days in 6 months of unexcused absences. You have to have a Doctor's note if you are going to miss more than that and you have to complete the missed work. If you fail to complete the missed work and do not have an arrangement with the principal than the state of Texas can consider holding the child back a grade. Ideally my kids would not miss any school but being kids in all if they are going to miss more than 2 consecutive days I would contact the school and see about getting the work to do at home. I would definitely have the doctor's office fax something to the school regardless of whether or not it is an excused absence.

my kids aren't absent often and it would be less if the school didn't have a 24hrs after fever breaks rule.
They heal really quickly and would only be out a day at a time, BUT the school a policy that says your kid has to be fever free for 24hrs before they can come back to school. So if I pick them up from school at noon sick with a fever then they can't go back until 2 school days from the day I pick them up.
Anyway, It's usually only if the absenses are causing the child to fail or struggle that they have to repeat.

My daughters missed on average 20 days of school a year. They were always sick. High fevers, croup, strep, you name it they got it and yes we gave them vitamins and they ate a healthy diet. Both of them were straight A students and I always went in and got the work they were missing and we did it at home. I only had one teacher question me about their absents. I asked her if she would like to pay all the doctor bills and that put an end to that. Have her mother go in and talk to the teacher and make sure your niece is staying caught up in her school work. I really don't think there is anything to worry about if she's staying caught up.

My school district in high school had a policy that a class would be failed if you hit 7 unexcused absences. For elementary, it was 10 absences since you didn't have separate classes. If there was a special circumstance, you worked with the principal and teachers. When my sister was a sophomore, she was in a serious car accident and missed over a month of school, but the principal and teachers were aware, so it got worked out. She didn't have to repeat or do summer school.

Our school has 10 UN-excused absences. If a child is sick then the absence is excused. After 10 the parent has to go before the "board" and talk with them about the reasons the child has been absent.
Unless she is pulling her child out for no reason her absences should be excused and there should be no issue.
My son missed 8 days last year and 6 of them were because he had pneumonia. He has missed 2 this year.
Laura

Each district has different rules regarding the # of absences.I don't think our districts has a specific number of unexcused. My sil kids cannot have more than 7 unexcused. I think the person on FB is referring to UNEXCUSED absences like going on vacation. I don't pull my children out for vacation days. We wait for their winter, spring or summer breaks to go on vacations. They are usually only absent at the max. 5 days per year due to such illnesses as strep thoat, bad cold, etc... Last year it was 1 day for my daughter and 4 days for my son.

My kids don't miss much school and I have never received anything from them warning me I was getting close with them so I really have no idea.
They take 2-3 personal days and maybe 2-3 sick days. My kids don't get sick much so I have never bothered with a dr note. The personal days are usually to extend a camping trip

1 / 3