How Many Calories You Are Suppose to Eat While Breastfeeding and Lose Weight?

Hello Mommies,

I would like to know exactly how many calories should a breastfeeding mother should be eating and also excercise and STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Thank you for all your wonderful advices,I did research for weight watchers..but i really dont have time to count points n stuff..so i went to amazon and bought a weight loss book for breastfeeding mothers, it has great reviews. I bought the used one for $0.85( DAMN GOOD DEAL)....and see how it goes :)

Thank you once again :)

My pediatrician told me a woman my age (30) should eat between 800 and 1200 calories to lose weight. Since I am BF, she said to add 500 calories...1300-1700. I am a stockier person so I've been going with the higher end of the range.

Generally when not breastfeeding and trying to lose weight you should eat only 10-11x what your desired body weight should be. Then add the 300 calories a day for the breastfeeding. Definitely eat high protein, low fat foods and healthy complex carbs (brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes). Good luck!!!

you are actually supposed to be eating the same way you were when you were pregnant, six small meals a day. five fruits and veggies. dairy, whole grains, protein. if you feel snackish, instead of picking up those chips or ice cream or candy bar just eat some carrot sticks or a piece of fruit! sometimes people often confuse thirst for hunger, so try drinking a bottle of water next time you feel the urge to snack! it will help control your weight and keep your skin glowing and beautiful!
if you are really determined to lose the weight, don't sacrifice your health by dieting, just exercise MORE!

There is no exact calorie amount, it depends on how much you weigh, how much you exercise, and if you are exclusively breastfeeding or supplementing formula/food. I breastfeed my 8 month old, he eats very little solids, and I exercise at least 3 times a week (for an hour each time). I do know I have to eat a lot, I am always hungry. I'm not worried about how much I eat, but what I eat. I try to eat as much good stuff as I can (whole grains, fruits, veggies, non processed foods, etc), and always eat when I'm hungry, sometimes before. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight (about 40 pounds), about 3 months after I started exercising regularly.

When I was breastfeeding my boys my Dr. told me at least 1400 to 1800. In other words, whatever your normal "wieght loss calories would be, add 500 to it. That is how many calories it takes to make a day's worth of milk for the baby. I was on Jenny Craig at the time, and they were very upset, saying that they could not guarantee weight loss with that many calories. But I did lose all the weight in about a year, and looked the best I've looked in my life...for three months, which made my husband friskier, and then I was pregnant again. Still carrying the weight on that on, 17 years later. Even Jenny Craig doesn't do a 900 calorie weight loss any more, it's more like 1200. (+ the nursing calories). Make sure you eat well, though. You both need it. The prepared diets work well for that, because they are so quick and you have so little time to cook and eat for yourself. And they are balanced, so you get all your nutrients. Don't just blindly cut calories. Good luck! And Happy Mother's Day!

Weight Watchers has a good diet for breast feeding moms.

You still need about 2000 calories a day of the right, healthy foods. If you lose weight too quickly, your milk production will decrease. Slow and steady.

GREAT job still bf! Worry more about how/when you're exercising, not so much what you're eating.

I work with a lot of nursing moms. Kari started on my program when Miller was 5 months. Under my direction she had 2 of my nutrition shakes a day PLUS two meals and in a month she released 16 pounds. Allison started when Liam was 6 months and just by adding one nutrition shake a day and maintaining 3 meals, she released 11 pounds in just a few weeks. Julie has been on my program for her entire pregnancy and while breastfeeding. She was back to prepregnanacy weight by the time Andrew was 5 months. Susan also has been with me for years. She is in her 8th month, and she still runs 5 miles s day. This program works.

Eating less calories while breastfeeding not only hurts you but it hurts your baby. You need more calories than you think. And not empty calories, you need sold nutrients that will feed you and baby so that you can both be healthy.

Your primary concern should not be losing weight but growing a healthy baby. If you feed your body properly, you will lose weight and she will gain weight, it is the natural way.

If you want to know more about my program then you can contact me privately.

Family Wellness Coach

1 / 3