How Long Were You in Labor the Second Time Around?

I would like to hear from second time Moms... how long did your second labor last in comparison with the first? Also, did you deliver earlier the second time around?
We are expecting our second daughter in a few months. With a husband who travels for work on a weekly basis, I'm concerned that if I go in to labor while he is traveling, he may not make it in time for the birth of our second child.
I know that everyone, and every birth is different, but I am curious to know how second births went for other women.
Thank you!

First was less than 12 start to finish. Second was the same b/c my water did not break and was not broken - until I delivered.

I'm gonna count labor as the time from when my water broke til baby was out, because apparently I either, 1. don't know what labor is (LOL) or 2. I have an incredible pain tolerance and work thru contractions.

Baby #1 was 2 wks early and born in 1.5 hrs.

Baby #2 was 3 days early and born in 5 mins.

Baby #3 is due any day...I can't wait to see how this labor goes! =)

Good luck & Congrats!

My first baby was 7hrs and second was 3hrs. Both very similar labors with contractions starting and then progressing very quickly until delivery. My 3rd child was a c section due to other health issues but I have no doubt in my mind that she would have been the same only quicker again.

With my first at 38wks the Dr broke my water during a contraction which not only got him, my husband, and the nurse behind them soaked but it also got the wall that was 8 ft behind them. I was so embarrased and it was caught on video which made it worse. While the dr was drying off and getting the table setup I felt enormous pressure and tried to shift my weight, when my son decided to literally drop into the world. Luckily the nurse was right there towels in hand getting ready to clean the floor when she heard my husband yell and she turned and caught him. So there was no pushing in that one.

My daughter's arrival was less eventfull but just as joyous. @ 39wks My water broke @ home unfortunately it took my husband 2 hrs to get home. I wasn't having strong contractions but by the time I got to the hospital I was at 6cm. In the 15min it took for them to admit me the Dr came in and wanted to try some practice pushes. She came out on the 2nd one. So I guess I was in labor less than 3 hrs without strong contractions.

I guess I was pretty lucky in both births. I didn't have to wait very long for either to arrive and there wasn't much pain. Hope this helps. Congrats and Best wishes!!!

First: 10 Hours Laboring, 30 Min Pushing
Second: 3 Hours Laboring (Almost didn't make it to hospital) 3 pushes.

I went to my normal drs appointment, one day after my due date, bummed out that I was OVERDUE and asked the dr if he would induce me... he said not until that Monday because the hospital was way busy...then he checked to see if I had made any progress (which I was sure I hadn't) and I was almost 8 cm dilated!! :) I had my baby girl about an hour later. The hospital didn't even believe me when I walked in and was like, I need to be started on antibiotics right away, I am 7-8 cm (I was positive for strep b during that pregnancy)... the lady at the front said, "Honey, you aren't 8 cm dilated, you wouldn't be talking to us"....RIGHT then, the l and d nurse walked in and was like, "Are you my girl who is about to push out a baby?" (My Dr. had called and told them I was coming). I'm not sure if I shot the front desk lady a major "I told you so " look but I am sure I did!! So you seriously just never know. My labor with my 1st and my 3rd were 28 and 12 hours but both were induced.

first son 3 1/2 hours, second son 6 hrs 15 min

1st child was 6 hours from 1st contraction to birth. 2nd was just under 1 hour.

I would like to know too! This is my second due in July and am not sure what to expect about different laboring times.

you have so many great responses so i guess you can already tell that each baby and pregnancy is different. my first was late and we induced and i was in labor for 19 hours. my second came 2 weeks early naturally and i was in labor for 6 hours and he came out in 3 pushes total. it was so easy that the nurses and doctor laughed. i think if possible try to have your husband not travel 2 weeks before the due date. good luck!

1 / 3