How long to wait for infant breathing treatments for wheezing?

My 4 month old son has had a persistent cough for the last couple of weeks and we took him to the doctor yesterday to make sure everything was okay. Doc said that the cough sounds fine, but when she listened to his chest with her stethoscope, she could hear him wheezing. SO, he was given a breathing treatment in her office after which his wheezing sounded much better. We were sent home with a nebulizer and a prescription for Xenepro and were advised to give him breathing treatments 3 times a day for the next couple of days, and then after that, as needed. Have any of you had any experience with this?? I know this is going to help him out, but I'm a little nervous about it! How long can I expect to have to give him these treatments?? Thanks for your help!!

Summary

It depends on the child and healing time, each child is different, consult your pediatrician and read the article for other moms' experiences.

When my son was around 10mos. old we had to do the breathing treatments for a while. We did the Xenepro as well. (I would not do Albuterol if you can help it. We had to do a breathing treatment of that this summer because he had pneumonia)
The breathing treatments seemed to work. They were a pain because he didn't like that steam going in his face. They definetly worked though. Good luck!

I have a 3 year old and a 19 month old that have both been on breathing treatments since they were very tiny. My older son was born at 33 weeks and gets really bad coughs and chest congestion. My younger son gets it but not nearly as bad. They are both prone to upper respiratory problems. Seems like every time they get a cold we end up witht the breathing machine out. When they aren't sick, I don't give them treatments. It is just as needed. They will grow out of it most likely though. I did. I had to have them all the time when I was young, now no problems at all.

Just keep with it because it really does help get them better quicker. Other wise the coughs stay around way too long. Good luck!

My son had breathing problems (was hospitalized twice for them) from the time he was about 2 months till about 3 years old. At times, we had to do treatments every 2 hours. I know it is hard but it does help them. When me son was older (around 2) he use to ask for them.
If the problems continue - I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Richard Rembecki in Frisco. He is a pediatric pulmonologist and so wonderful with children. The best doctor we have ever experienced. Hope that helps.

Also read some of the other responses. Asthma should not be diagnosed until 5 years of age because it is a life long disease. Any child under 5 with chronic breathing issues are usually diagnosed with Reactive Airways Disease (RAD) which is a very broad term and includes many respitory problems including asthma. Some children grow out of the problem (like my son).

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with asthma at 9 months and was given a nebulizer too. The older she has gotten, the less I have to give her a treatment. I usually give her preventive ones, like if I know the weather is going to drastically change from hot to cold or vice versa. I don't have to give them to her often, but when I do, they definetly help her breathe better, and I sleep better knowing she's ok. Channel 5 (NBC 5) had a new kind of nebulizer aimed at making kids less affraid of treatments. It was called the nebulizer bear or something like that. (its a teddy bear that has a spot in his back to add the medicine, and a spot in the stomach where the medicine comes out of) Go to NBC 5 website and search under Health and see if you can find it. I understand your concern, especially since you're baby is so young, but it will benefit your family in the long run! Hope all works out for you.

Talk about nerve racking - I've been there! My 2 1/2 year old son has been hospitalized once and we've been to the ER countless numbers of times due to his "wheezing" and asthma. My son was born a month premature (which you wouldn't know by looking at him) but his lungs were not developed enough, along with me having asthma made him more prone to getting it. Anyway, I have to give him treatments on an average of 3-4 times a year for approximately a week or two and then he gets better. It is scary at first but you get over that and realize it's helping & not hurting him. Hang in there....I'm here if you need to talk. I also have had to do these treatments on myself since I was 5 years old.

You should probably be prepared to continue the treatments for awhile. We were in and out of the doctor's office constantly with my youngest son when he was a baby. Since they don't consider a child asthmatic until 6 months of age (one day he's got bronchialitis and the next he's asthmatic because he turned 6 months), this won't be approached for a while. My 15 year old's asthma has been considered "controlled" for 3 years now. Be sure that, when your child gets older, he's given regular flow meter tests. My son got to the point where there was not improvement in his flow meter results even with all the medication he was on so I removed him from the meds when the doctor gave me that option. We haven't had a problem since except for the occasional mucous build up.

HI!
My daughter started on the treatments at 3months old. She is 4 1/2 and we still take them daily. She was using a Nebulizer using Xopenex and Pulimcort. Though they were a pain you can get a "fish mask" or another charater online or through the company that provided you with the mechine. Though they are a pain, they will get use to them and it will become second nature. When my daughter was older we let her pick out a package or two of stickers and everytime she did it with out any problems she got to put a stick on the mechine. You can try and dress it up with stickers, give him something to look at durring the treatment. IT DOSE GET BETTER!!! I PROMISE!! I was nervous at first but like i said i dont even think about it now. When he gets older they will switch him to a inhaler. Those are much much better. My daughter had to do the treatments until the meds were gone wich can take up to 30 mins. Good luck, hope i helpd any. If you have any questions or concerns message me i dont mind asnwering.

My son had to do the same thing at that age and the treatments work wonders. I would suggest trying to keep him still by reading him a book while you do it, turn on some calm music or a calm cartoon. They get used to it after a while and the treatments really helped us...the first few treatments were really tough and we felt horrible having to almost pin him down!

My twin 15 mo olds have the same issue. the pediatrician tried to explain to me that they are having "pre-asthma" symtoms, and that breathing treatments now may keep them from developing asthma at some time in the future. There are no relatives with asthma and I am very skeptical, except for the fact that they were born premature and maybe that has something to do with it. To me, it just seems that they have bad allergies and/or bronchitis and that the doctors are too quick to call it asthma. I mean, it almost seems like just about every kid has asthma now! Is it being overdiagnosed? Anyway, I have chosen to seek out a pulminary pediatrician for a second opinion on the 13th. Either they do have asthma or they don't, it seems to me, and I am not at this point all that confident that the pediatrician can diagnose it. After all, she did not even perform any kind of breathing test; she just declared that since they were wheezing they must be having asthma symptoms. Warning (and the doctor forgot to mention this to me) the Xenepro wires them up for about 5 hours, so if you give it to them right before bed thinking it will make them rest better, you are sooooo wrong - I had mine up all night long when I gave them Xenepro - which is really hard since as twins they are not really sleeping through the night yet at 15 mos. I am currently giving my twins the Pulmicort daily regimen per the doctor's instructions as preventive medicine and I will take them to the specialist on the 13th.

1 / 3