How Long to Keep Cooked Mac-n-Cheese in Frig

How long is it safe to keep cooked macaroni (sp?) and cheese in the refrigerator? We've had some for 2 weeks - and it looks and smells ok - but I know that is not the best indicator. For baby food, the foods generally recommend 3 days to use up the food. We generally use 1 week at most to keep left overs. It seems like cheese can keep for a while - so I didn't know if I could keep Mac-n-cheese longer.

It sounds like most people go by their gut feeling or rule of thumb - throw it out after 3-7 days. One person's husband is in the food/restaurant business and recommends throwing out after 7 days. I called the manufacturer of the boxed M-n-C, they stated it could last up to 5 days properly stored, however, the quality (texture) may not be as good - add milk. They said their recommendation is based on quality and not necessarily bacterial concerns (which I thought was interesting.) Going forward, we will try to portion out the amount we prepare so we won't have that much to worry about. I just thought I would ask - thanks for the responses!

Do not keep anything cooked in the fridge more than 3 days, it will grow unseen bacteria and it could make you sick, plus we never eat left over mac it doesn't taste very good the next day.

My husband who is a restaurant health/food inspector says cooked the longest cooked food should sit in your refrigerator is 7 days. When in doubt toss it.

I usually have a three days and out rule, less if it is restaurant leftovers. I would get rid of it, just in case.

Hi,Put a wet paper towel over it with tin foil for 5-6 days max.

I wouldn't use anything that's been there longer than a week.

only a couple of days

Like you, I believe up to a week is fine. We eat things out of the fridge up to a week later on a regular basis and none of us have ever gotten sick. 2 weeks is a little on the long side. Plus, mac n cheese is cheap anyway. I would throw it out.

I would not eat it if it has been refrigerated longer than 7 days.

rule of thumb-don't keep any left overs over 3 days. Bacteria can grow on things and you can't always see it. Is it worth getting sick over? God Bless you. M.

1 / 3