How Long Should a 5 Month Old Sleep at Night?

On average what is "sleeping through the night" for a 5 month old?
My son is a whopping 19 pounds and exclusively breastfed. I am just curious how long of a stretch most 5 months old sleep at night?

I just did CIO with my 5mo last week (22 weeks). Now she's sleeping 11 hrs straight through the night. :)

Mine always slept 4-6 hours at a time at 5 months. It is different for each baby, though. Some lucky mommies have babies that sleep 8 + hours!

I think 6 hours is considered sleeping "through the night." For whatever reason, my beautiful daughter didn't sleep through the night (meaning 11 hrs. straight in this case) until 18 months old! She was exclusviely breast fed too. I think her problem was teething. For a baby as young as yours, I think 6 months is "through the night," but I personally wouldn't expect it yet based on my experiences.

My son is almost 6 months and sleeps 9 hours straight at night (10pm-7am). At 4 months he was almost sleeping through (10pm-5am). He would then eat and sleep until 8-ish.

My kids were also bigger babies and when they started taking about 6-7 ounces at each feeding (they were mostly formula fed) is when they started to sleep through the night. They will sleep 10-12 hours per night and nap during the day for a couple of hours.Our pediatrician said this was within the normal ranges. Hope this helps!
A.

Wow you got a big little guy lol, he weighs almost as much as my 10 month old son. Sounds sooo cute!! :) Any on to your question, I didn't read any of the other comments but from my own experience with my son he started sleeping from 7:30 p.m. all the way til 9 a.m. He still does this even at 10 months. He takes two naps, one at 10 with his bottle and another around 3 p.m. He goes to bed really around 8 now, but I have to formula feed seeing as he didn't want to latch or take the pumped milk. Every child is different with the whole "sleeping through the night" How long does he sleep now? I know a lot of my friends who breast fed and the kids were up every 2-3 hours. My son gets one bottle before bed and then he's out of the night.

well, the answer isnt an easy one. every baby is different. and different things interrupt sleep; teething, hitting milestones like rolling over, sitting up, having solids, etc.... as well as getting sick, or just being lonesome. some babies are easier some babies are harder. my son was awake a LOT as an infant, and i just went with his needs and my instincts, always responded to him and now i have a 4 year old who has NO bedtime issues. he trusts that i will be there for him 24/7 day or night, and that he wont ever be forced to stay in bed if hes lonely scared or cold or having nightmares or something. we are very open about the fact that we are parents day or night.

its exhausting. and there are little things you can do to help baby sleep longer. but really, just listening to their needs and your instincts is 100% the best thing you can do!

I have a 5 1/2 month old boy who is almost 19 pounds as well, exclusively breastfed. He sleeps for about 2-4 hours at a stretch at night. He still wakes up several times to eat. He is my fourth child. They all did the same thing until I weaned them around 14 months old. Babies are so different and each woman's breastmilk is different. They will sleep through the night eventually! :) Good luck!

WOW! those last three ladies with the babies sleeping 7-12 hours at night are SOOOOO LUCKY in my opinion. My two children were exclusively breastfed till 6 months, and then a combo of breast, bottle, formula, and food after that. At 5 months, the longest stretch was about 4 hours at the beginning of the night, then up to nurse every two hours after that....but they DID sleep about 6:30 pm, to 6:30 am, total ( with wakings to nurse) and then each took three 45 min-1 hour naps a day at that age....shortly thereafter it went to two 1.5-2 hour naps a day, but night stayed the same. Once we started solids, and some formula, they slept longer stretches. My daughter was still waking to nurse 2 times a night at 9 months when I was ready to wean. So we weaned and did Cry it Out, and after those three days of sleep training, she has been a great sleeper ever since, all the way through the night, 6:30-6:30 form 9 months on. My son is a different story, we tried to do CIO while still nursing, at 6 months and it just didn't work as well. He is turing 2 in a month and STILL wakes at least once a night almost every night, to whine or fuss about something and still will not soothe himself back to sleep most times inthe middle of the night. He loves his pacifier, and if he can't find it in the dark, I still have to go in there to get it for him.....I am seriously thinking of taking the binkies and re-doing CIO with him, to see if we can all fianlly get a full night's sleep!

So anyway, the moral of the story is every baby is different. Sleeping anywhere from 2 hour stretches, to 6 for the longest stretch and 2 after, I think is more average, for a breastfed baby at 5 months, but boy would it be great to get 7-10...you will get there, I promise!!! Dr. Marcc Weissbluth's book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child " was a god-send for us and helped us deal with our 1st Daughter's sleep issues and have the fortitude to make it through CIO the first time we tried. My son is different, especially since I think I have enabled his waking and my going to him continue too long, for fear of him waking everyone else up, since there are 2 kids and hubby to deal with now....

Jessie

Jessie

1 / 3