12 answers

How Long Does Poison Ivy Last?

I recently got poison ivy for the first time in my life and I was wondering how long it usually lasts. Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks and Im miserable. My dermotologist gave me some cream called clobetasol and its taken down some of the swelling but not the itch and I have been putting jewel weed on it as a natural remedy. I can not take predinosone I have issues with it. I go to the beach in 11 days and I want my legs to look decent again not red and scaly and splotchy like they do right now.

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

I am very allergic and the only thing that has helped me has been a steroid - like prednisone. Can you take any other kind of steroid? I suffered with it for weeks and NOTHING helped me. I took the steroid and was itch-free in a day. Sorry you are going through this. It is awful.

2 moms found this helpful

More Answers

Hard to say, everyone is different. You didn't say what your issue was with the prednisone; if it was a side effect, there are ways to manage it. If you have specific questions, I am a pharmacist, so I will try to answer them, just send me a personal message.

If you won't consider the oral steroids at all, then the clobetasol is one of the best steroid creams out there, but you really shouldn't use that for more than 2 weeks without a break. Taking antihistamines can help, since it is an allergic reaction. If you get sleepy from Benadryl, try Zyrtec, it's once a day and less sedating. Good luck, I have had poison ivy and other types of "poison" reactions, and there are horrible!

3 moms found this helpful

Have you tried OTC Zanfel? It usually takes two to three showers for me, and probably would for you since yours is so bad but It's the only thing that I've found that works for me.... Make sure you're doing your laundry with disposable gloves on and with as hot as possible a wash cycle! Also I usually use a colour safe bleach when handling poison ivy clothes.

Good luck!!

2 moms found this helpful

Hi A.,
My husband gets poison ivy pretty bad when he gets into it - he pours rubbing alcohol on it and it dries it up and helps it to clear up quickly. Hope that helps!
Cyndi

2 moms found this helpful

I am extremely allergic to poison ivy/oak. I've never had it for two weeks though. I recommend you get a product called Tecnu. I buy mine at Walgreens. I used it and my rash cleared in two days. Make sure to get the original skin cleanser, not the scrub. Hope it helps.

2 moms found this helpful

I had poison ivy a few years ago - also my first time - and it lasted 3-4 weeks. I used a clear calomine lotin that provided a little relief. My doc also gave me an over the counter cream but I don't recal lthe name. I think it was a topical steroid though. As far as stopping the itch, cold compresses worked best for me. Best wishes to you.

2 moms found this helpful

My husband works outside a lot and is terribly sensitive to poison oak. He uses a cleaner called Tecnu, which removes surface contamination even after a rash is involved, everything heals faster. I don't think you can use it on weeping wounds, but just about anyplace else, this stuff works. Info here: http://www.teclabsinc.com/products.cfm?id=1F5604C8-9D05-4...

A great natural alternative to cortisone is a cream called Florasone, available in health food stores. For me, it quells just about any kind of itch within 10 minutes, and I'm a very itchy person.

2 moms found this helpful

I am very allergic and the only thing that has helped me has been a steroid - like prednisone. Can you take any other kind of steroid? I suffered with it for weeks and NOTHING helped me. I took the steroid and was itch-free in a day. Sorry you are going through this. It is awful.

2 moms found this helpful

It sounds like you are allergic to it. My brother is allergic also. Predinsone is usually the best thing to help get rid of it. I would get some domesboro(sp?) solution which they sell over the counter. It is something to soak the infected areas in. I would also try some bendryl orally and see if they helps with the itching. If it makes you sleepy take some before yo go to sleep. I am sorry you are miserable,

2 moms found this helpful

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.