How Long Do Effects of Novocain Last

i had a dentis appoint friday afternoon at 3pm. i had chipped a tooth when i was a child and had a cap. the cap was discolored and begining to ware down. so i had made this appointment to have it redone. my dentist gave my a shot of novocain before he began. as he was filing i stopped him and told him that i could feel what he was doing and i was scared that it was going to hurt. he then told me that he was giving me another shot of a stronger novocain, he said this shot was of his strongest. yup he was right, from that point i didn't feel a thing.
now i have had novocain before, but never had these effects. usually it's just a numb feeling making it feel fat and heavy. but this time the right side of my top lip did not work and it had lost all coloring (it was white). when i looked in the mirror and puckered up, it didn't work it just went flat. after being home for a few hours the numbness went away the color came back and it all seemed normal EXCEPT for having what i can only explian as a knot. still today, this knot is just under my nose and mabey even alittle up into my nostril. it is not vissible nor can i feel it with my fingers, when i do touch it, it is a little tender. but i can feel it tighten when i do things like drink, eat, talk. is this normal? will it go away with a little more time?

hi ladies-
i did call my dentist. he told me that he was 99% sure it was just trauma, because of having 2 shots at that location, and it could last as long as 2 to 3 weeks i do have another appointment on May 15th with him he said if i was still having this issue then he would look further into it.
thank you all so much for your advice and concern.
Well not so fast... just after i wrote "so what happened" my dentist called me back, had me go to his office for an x-ray, guess what, yup that 1%. i now have to have a root canal$$$$$. i'm nervous cause who ever has anything good to say about a root canal!!!

I am a Dental Hygienist, it sounds like you have a little trauma where he injected the second shot of novocain. It will probably last about a week or so. So don't worry, and the way you felt after the novocain is pretty normal too. He really got you numb. But if the knot you feel does not go away by Friday I suggest you give him a call just to let him look at it. Have a great day I hope this made you feel a little better.
Becci

Novocaine usually lasts 1-3 hours at the most. If he used a longer lasting anesthetic like bupivicaine this would last 6-8 hours. The only reason I could think for your lip turning white is if there was epinephrine (vasoconstrictor...narrows the blood vessels) in with the anesthetic. I am guessing that the dentist gave you the shot in the front part of your mouth into the gum line just under your nose. One of the smaller nerves may have gotten tweaked when you got the shot (a small risk when doing this type of shot). It should heal up over time. May take anywhere from several weeks to a couple months. I would contact your dentist just to be on the safe side though. Good luck!

Becci

I feel for you! I know about Novocain - I have had two root canals and last week I had gum grafting surgery, which I am still feeling the effects of! Anyway, the knot might be a sore or a tender spot leftover from the needle going in. Those needles they use for Novocain are the most obscenely long and humungous needles I have ever seen. It might also be residual tenderness in your mouth because of where the work was done... for example, I have a bruise on the left side of my face because the grafting was done on the left, so it affected that entire part of my face. The mouth is extremely tender and sensitive, and it almost goes into trauma after serious dental work. It takes time for it to return to normal, but if you feel like something is not right, it wouldn't hurt to call your dentist's office and ask just to be sure. After my root canals it was a good 7-10 days before my mouth felt normal. I know you didn't have that done but you still had a serious procedure. Good luck and feel better soon - I know that mouth pain is the WORST!!

I think the knot is where the dentist put the needle--so it is swollen from the puncture, not from the drug itself. I have had this happen often. Should go away in time. I agree that you should call the dentist in a couple of days if it doesn't get better--or if it gets worse. Good luck!

Well i would definately call the dentist & let them know whats going on. You may have had some sort of a reaction.

C.,
I am very curious to know what happens with you. I've never heard of it lasting this long and your procedure sounded rather simple and routine. I mean, I've know dentists to give MORE novocain but not STRONGER novocain and I am wondering what on her they used on you. You poor thing. Call that dentist IMMEDIATELY. This can't be normal; not to worry you but definitly call!

Hi C. - Why don't you call your dentist and see what he says?

If the dentist did 2 shots of novacain, I'd say what you are feeling is the soreness of the needles going into the gum. I have had novacain twice like that and it was sore for days, but I would call the dentist and run it by them, just to make sure.

1 / 3