How Long Do Chihuahuas Live?

Our dog from the shelter is getting slow and sleeping a lot, up to 18 hours per day. Plus, in spite of going outside plenty, she is peeing at night in the guest bedroom. The vet said she is at least 11, maybe more. He also said she was not given care all those years. How long do they live? I am doing all the right things for her, but her perkiness comes in very short spurts. Is that a small dog thing? She is a normal weight, has all her shots, and walks(though maybe a mile on a good day, then she gets carried).

That is kind of like asking how long humans live for - we have averages, but that is not a guarantee of their lifespan. I've had to explain that to folks whose pet is 8 years old and has cancer and are shocked - they seem to think that they "all live to 13", or tell me their aunt's dog lived to 18.

Average for chihuahuas and other toy breeds seems to be 13 to 15, I've seen some older than that (16, 17). It does depend on many factors, especially their overall health. I've seen 10 year old little dogs that were "older" than some 15 year old dogs, just because of them being in poor health (dental disease, heart disease, obesity, etc.)

I just heard this on TV today. About 15 years, with up to 20 years depending on genetics and health care. She might be older than you think or maybe she didn't get adequate care before you got her? Good luck. It's hard when they get old--I lost two dogs recently, one was 17 and one was 15. My old dogs slept a lot too in their later years.

There are general/averages that say small dogs live longer than larger dogs, but really it depends on the overall health and well being of your dog. 11 is getting "old" for any dog, but if you continue to provide good food, exercise and vet care you can give her good quality for the time she still has with you. I know you are probably trying to prepare yourself for " the worst", but try not to worry about how long, but quality. Good nutrition, rest, appropriate exercise all go a long way at keeping our furry friends healthy and happy! http://www.akc.org/public_education/aging_dogs.cfm

My Mom has always had chihuahuas & they have lived anywhere from 13 to 15 years.

On average they live between 11 and 15 years, with some living up to 21, but that is rare. Just do a yahoo search and you will get lots of links about it all.

my mom had one just die at 12, and his littermate is still alive, but you can tell she's elderly.

Our long-haired chihuahua (best dog EVER by the way) lived about 10 years. We knew something was going on w/ her health when she started urinating in the house at night -- I'm sorry to say. Turns out she had diabetes and a tumor in her bladder. You may have your vet run some tests on her just to see what is going on w/ the incontinence. Hang in there!

its not age. they sleep a lot that it probably why they can live for twenty+ years. with lots of exercise there stamina increases. and puppy food is high in protein only good if they are very active or else they will be over weight.

1 / 3