How Long Did You Let Your Baby Hang Out in the Jumparoo?

She loves beng in her jumparoo... but how long is too much for a 5 month old?
Did you limit time in the jumparoo?

Having kids in things where they move in a way they aren't developmentally ready for (jumping in a jumparoo, walking in a walker, sitting in a bumbo) isn't best for them. Not that they are screwed up for life or anything drastic but the less time the better.
While it's not obvious to most of us, those trained in movement (like movement/dance therapists) can see the differences in how people move later on in life based on early physical development.

We limit to about 30 minutes a day. That's normally broken up into multiple times though with each time being up to 10-15 minutes. That just seems to be when our daughter gets tired of it and wants to do something different.

The reason we limit her time in it isn't because of phyical development. She likes to be in it and would probably spend more total time daily if we let her. She needs the human interaction though that doesn't really come in a jumper. She's only awake for a short while each day and human interaction is so good for her!

We got my son the jumperoo when he was 5 months old and he wasn't quite sure what to do. By 6 months he loved it and would would probably eat, sleep and spend all day in there if we let him. I would limit his time in it to 10 - 15 minute intervals 1 - 3 times per day. He grew really attached to it and we had to disassemble it one evening after he'd gone to bed because of how guilty I felt taking his favorite toy away and of course he scooted himself around in search for it the next morning. I definitely agree that it has the potential to developmentally delay some kids if you keep them in for too long. Now almost 11 months old, I feel like his use of the jumperoo and exersaucer for those 3 months is the reason he refuses to stand up unassisted and jumps and dances every few steps as he cruises along the furniture, even if it is cute! So in moderation I think the jumperoo is a really great, fun activity for babies!

My son loved his jumparoo and was in it all the time from about 5 months. Sometimes I let him stay in it for up to 45 min or an hour at a time but several times a day (but probably not right away at 5 months, I think he worked up to that much). He was and still is a very active child. We got him a mini trampoline when he was almost 2. My daughter didn't care for the jumparoo much at all and cried after 10 minutes. Just goes to show all kids are different.

My son (now 39) loved and spent lots of time in one. My daughter (now 28) did not have one (because I found out by the time she was born that they are not good for babies). My son is quite stiff and has back problems. My daughter is a dancer and is one of the most flexible and graceful people I know. Please get more information about the dangers of these devices. Sure, babies love them, but they can lead to a lifetime of problems. There is a book called Save Your Baby, Throw Out Your Equipment. I would not use it at all, but if you feel a need to use it occasionally, I would recommend limiting the time to 5 or 10 minutes at the most.

we had the doorway bouncer.. my sons loved them..

You'll see a pattern in their behavior when they have had enough. -you know how when they are done eating they turn their head to the side. -
each child is different but mine would just slow down and or stop jumping.. and by the time they are upset for attention is too long. but in general my boys liked it for at least approx -> 30 minutes at a time before wanting to be moved or held.

I miss those toys.. :)
good luck.

Our son LOVES his jumperoo. We chose the jumperoo because he was jumping in our laps and REALLY needed to expend some energy. We make sure his toes can touch the ground and that he could hold himself up. We started with about 5 min a day at 4mos, now at 6 mos I know DH has him in it for 30min if DS wants it. It isn't an all day thing, but enough for him to expend that energy. He DEFINITELY 'tells' us when he is done! We do lots of other active play, but this one, is definitely a hit, especially in the winter!

My oldest LOVED her jumparoo and would actually fall asleep in it! I think at 5 Months she was probably in it for 45 mins to and hour. She was very big for her size, and could hold herself up early. I would say it all depends on your child and if all else fails check with his peditrician.

1 / 3