How Long Did It Take You to Get Back on Track with Normal Life After Each Kid?

I read Em24d's question about feeling like a bad mom, and to help her put it in perspective I thought this question would help.

After you had your baby, how long did it take you to get the hang of normal life again? I'm talking about finding your balance between work, housework, other children, your relationship with your SO, running errands, playtime, just everything! Even the simple stuff like fitting in a shower and a load of dirty dishes.

After my first baby, I feel like I pushed myself and adapted really fast. After my 2nd, it took maybe 6 months to find that balance between 2 kids under 2 and everything else. After my 3rd, I just recently feel like I've got a grasp on 'normal' again, and he's a year and a half old!! He was a lot more difficult than my 1st two, and I contribute my chaos to him more than the fact that I now have 3 children.

So how long did it take you to get back in the groove of life?

Any day now!! :-) Mine are 36-33-24-20 yrs old. I think once you become Mom you have to re-define normal.

I don't think that it ever really goes back to the way that it was......it just becomes a different normal and it takes time to adapt. My baby is 9 months old, and I am still trying to get things back to "normal" - (if there is such a thing!!)

I think about 6 months or so. Once the naps get regular and the breastfeeding isn't constant :o) I've got 3 girls and the youngest is just about 6 months. I'm starting to get a little more sleep, she's napping longer and more regularly and my older two are kind of 'over her'.

I felt like by 6 months a lot of things settled but there were noticable improvements at 1 year and even more at 2 years. I have 2 kids that are now 2 and 5. Some things I am still struggling to fit in with 2 kids that I could do with one. Adding a 3rd for me would be chaos so I don't plan to do that.

Haaaa ha ha ha ha ha... you said "normal." With each child we settled into a new kind of normal. We did our best to stick with established routines, but had to maintain some flexibility. It was most difficult with our 2nd daughter (when our 3rd daughter was born) due to her rigidness and need for strict routines due to her Autism and OCD, but we managed and she coped (eventually) with the new normal. When she was born she needed routine right away... it was strange for me actually because my eldest daughter just isn't built that way. We went from being laid back and having a loose routine and generic schedule to having to be strict, strict, strict all the time.

It's okay, though. It can take time. I've had friends say that the new person in their family (each new sibling) often took until toddlerhood to feel like they belonged and had found their place.

With my first, about 6 months and with my second, close to a year. My second didn't sleep though the night until 10 mo. and even now at 16 mo. still wakes up sometimes.

I felt like a human after about 2 months and felt like I could function as a person after about 4. At 6 months I would say we had a new sense of "normal" and were all sleeping through the night which helps immensely!

I feel that after I quit nursing was a huge turning point back to a better & more maneagable routine. So, a little after the 1 year mark. I'm not saying it's back 100% ( youngest 15 months) but getting closer. I would imagine it's different for everyone, though. Everytime you add a new member to the family, it will never be exactly the same , again. I have 3 , also.

1 / 3