April 07, 2009,
A.C. asks from Wayne, PA on April 06, 2009
How Long Before Calling Dr. - Fever on 1 Yr Old
My daughter has had a fever the 2nd day now. the temp is around 101.5. I'm waiting for my ped. office to open. How long do you normally wait until you take the baby in? Am I overreacting and should wait another day?
D.P. answers from Pittsburgh on April 06, 2009
I always say better to err on the side of caution. While 101.5 isn't extremely high, it IS a fever. So I would call. Never be afraid to "bother" your pediatrician's office. That's what they're there for!
You already know this, I'm sure: rest and lots of fluids are good for fever.
Hope she's better soon.
1 mom found this helpful
F.B. answers from Harrisburg on April 06, 2009
Have you been giving her Tylenol to bring down the fever? If yes, it the fever coming down at all with the Tylenol? Is she lethargic? It has been my experience with my kids that the fever is only part of the story. If they are active while having the fever, then it isn't something for me to worry about. But if they aren't active, then I start to get concerned.
What it basically come down to is this. You are her mother. So, if you are worried or concerned, call the doctor.
J.R. answers from Philadelphia on April 07, 2009
I always call right away and let them determine when they want us to be seen. But that way at least I've touched base with them before it's 2am and I'm needing to call the on-call doctor.
R.H. answers from Philadelphia on April 07, 2009
My pedi says 3 days.
M.B. answers from Philadelphia on April 07, 2009
It's worth a call to the pediatrician's office, especially if she's lethargic, cranky, or having other symptoms. In general I try to wait to take the kids in to the doc, just because then you're bound to be exposed to other germs as well (can you tell I'm a germophobe?). Definitely don't panic, but make the call and see what they recommend.
For what it's worth some kids are just more prone to fevers and/or high fevers than others. My kids do so easily, so unless it's over 103 or they're really suffering with other symptoms we don't worry too much. We were over 105 not long ago (which did make me nervous) and all worked out fine. Your daughter does not seem to fall into this category, but I mention just so you know that the temp alone isn't something to panic over.
Just try the motrin or tylenol, lukewarm baths, and lots of liquids. And talk to the doc/nurse and follow their recommendation and your gut as to whether she needs to be seen or not. Hope she feels better soon.
B.S. answers from Scranton on April 07, 2009
My ped. said to call whenever about whatever, that's what he's there for. I liked that answer, it is so true. So call if you want to, especially to make you feel better!
F.H. answers from Sharon on April 07, 2009
I like to give my kids a day or two to rule out a virus unless they seem to be in pain or have something unusual like a discharge from the ear, odd stools, won't eat or drink anything. As your baby cannot verbalize where pain is or even how bad it is I always go around the second or third day of sickness to rule out infection. I did have a child once that had a fever for two days then was fine for a week and the fever returned with ear dishcarge. Turned out he had an ear infection and the ear drum tore. He was fine, no permanent damage or anything but if you would feel better going then go!
T.M. answers from Philadelphia on April 06, 2009
She is young so they may see her on day 2. My pediatrician says they like to see them on day 3. My daughters were recently 104.8 and that is what they told me. They did not have any other symptoms though. They will probably tell you to alternate motrin and tylenol. Luke warm baths help and a cool washcloth on her head. Good luck.