How Long After Coloring My Hair to Wash?

How long should I wait to shampoo my hair after having it professionally colored yesterday? Its on the red side, too, and I have heard that reds fade mush faster than other colors.

I've never had it colored before (besides doing it myself and a box from walgreens) - I had it done yesterday afternoon, and unused to not washing my hair everyday! I do not have oily hair, however, so the feeling that I need to wash it is not because it actually needs it, its just habit.

Dear K.,
I would wait a day or two. The other 2 ladies are right in that the color will fade due to shampooing so at most do it every other day. I just use Garnier Frutis with colorblock and it seems to make it last longer.

I wash mine the next day. Know that the more you wash, the faster your color fades. It's the shampoo. I try to give my hair a break on the weekends. I'll skip Sat, if I have nothing important to do out of the house and not too physically active (sweat).

Stephanie

I too have auburn/red hair and I wait 36-72 hours before the first wash after coloring. It holds the color longer.

I would wait a least a day or 2 before washing it. Also get a shampoo (from a beauty store) that is specifically for color treated hair. I use Biolage shampoo and conditioner that is for color treated hair and my color has not faded. If you go to a beauty store most women there will direct you to a good shampoo to use so that your color wont fade. Good luck!!

1 / 3