How is your experience with paragard vs. Mirena?

I can't decide on which IUD to use. I really liked the sound of paragard (copper t) because it doesn't use hormones, but my ob/gyn said women had horrible painful long, heavy periods with it as opposed to mirena. Mirena shows many side effects on it's brochure, but i don't know how common they are. I am nursing and really don't want to expose my baby to hormones even though it is progestin and supposedly ok for nursing moms, they still have about 7% serum levels of what the mother gets. Does anyone have either of these IUD's? Do you have any side effects

Summary

There are many different types of birth control in the market, some moms prefer Mirena, while some prefer Paragard. Consult with your health professional for more details.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I still am not totally sure which way to go, but feel good knowing that most people are very happy with their IUDs

Hi L. B!

I have had the Mirena birth control in since November 2006. At first I did not like it because I was still having the pains and heavy bleeding that it was supposed to get rid of. I can remember having very heavy bleeding and cramping inbetween having it put in and Christmas time of that year. But after a couple of heavy bleeds the bleeding tapered off and now my "periods" are so light that I do not have to wear a pad. Maybe a pantyliner for one day and that is all. I love it because I have been diagnosed with Endometriosis and have bled heavily since college. Other than having some pain or cramping at times (which just may be me and the scarring of the Endometriosis) I am glad that I had the Mirena put in.
Good luck deciding!

Sincerely,

Hi L.- I got the mirena about 5 months ago. I have only had one problem, I have had some major cramping, worse than I ever have before, about a week before I start. According to my doctor that should stop very soon. I personally think it is the way to go. I did a lot of research on it before I decided what to do. Good luck!

When I asked this question, the answers I got were very individual. It's true that the copper t can cause heavier periods, but it doesn't always. Some women love it. I think you just have to try it to find out how/what works for you. It's not an easy answer, but I just don't think you can predict the results. I personally chose to skip the hormones. I decided I would rather deal with menstruation, as I have for 25 years, than do anything that might risk my breastfeeding relationship with both daughters. I also wasn't convinced that Mirena has been on the market long enough to know with certainty that it is safe for mom and baby. Then I didn't get an iud after all because i got kicked off healthwave and I knew I wouldn't have the money to get it removed if I needed to.

I had the paragaurd also b/c there were no hormones. After 6 months i had it taken out b/c i had such heavy periods and had heavy spotting between periods...awful. I waited almost 3 years and then my hubby had a vascectomy. That was hard for me because it was so final! But he did great with the procedure. Good luck in what ever you choose.

I have the Mirena and and have been breast feeding for 10 months, with no issues. No real side affects, I had not spotting, no bleeding at all since having the Mirena put in.
I love it...

L., i just did a lot of asking around about mirena, although i can't help you with paragard. from what i heard i wouldn't recommend using mirena while breastfeeding. the answers i got were conflicting, people either raved about it or preached the horrors of it, which probably you'll get similar responses here. but i did read things saying you shouldn't breastfeed on it. someone actually told me i could be giving myself an abortion every month....*sigh*...anyway...i had made the choice to go with mirena until i found out it was $800 and insurance didn't cover any of it, for me. so that was the deciding factor - $20 a month for the pill was a lot easier to 'swallow' (haha, pun intended) for me personally. just my experience. i'm sure you'll get lots of good advice. good luck!

I just two days ago had IMPLANON put in my arm and it's great so far. It has Progestin only (I cannot take Estrogen for medical reasons). I tried Mirena and was traumatized. My doctor could not get it to insert and it got stuck and was terrible. I have had bad luck with all other birth controls and Implanon is fabulous. Ask your doctor about it and see if the progestin is bad for breastfeeding. My gynecologist kinda strayed from the copper IUD's, just fromm past experience she's had a couple women that had bad experiences - she didn't go into detail.

Implanon is a small (about 1") flexible plastic that is put in between your bicep and tricep. Mine did not hurt at all, she gave me a shot to numb it and that's it. I had it two days ago. I have a minimal bruise (from where she put her finger to make sure it was inserted properly) and that's it. It's a little tender nothing serious.

I like it. It doesn't have the weight gain part of depo or anything like that. I would recommend you talk to your doctor about it.

I have only had Mirena for a couple months and I would have to tell you that is going pretty well. I was done breastfeeding when I got it so I didn't really look at that side of it. I will tell you that it was a little painful to have put in...not much worse than cramps. The only complaint that I have is that my Dr. did not explain that I might have continous bleeding/spotting. I spoke to my nurse today and she said some women have it for 3 to 6 months. I look forward to not having it. I can put up with all the spotting for not having to worry about whether or not I remembered to take my pill. Good luck!

I had the mirena put in about 10 weeks post partum. So far, so good and I'm 14 months post partum now and almost done breast-feeding. I had no problems at all continuing to breastfeed obviously. I didn't like the almost continuous spotting for the first 4-5 weeks; however, I have had no period since. Just occasional very light (as in use nothing spotting).

Minera has been the right choice for me. It's the lowest level hormone possible, I have no periods, and I haven't had to buy tampons or bc pills in ages. Statistically, it is more effective than the pill, vasectomy or tubal ligation.

1 / 3