How High?

How high do you moms let your kids' temps get before calling the doctor? My oldest has a fever and is tired. He was seen this morning because those are his only symptoms and at the time his temp was 101.2 and it has been holding steady w/ Motrin and tylenol and pops and ice cold drinks. It has jumped to 103.6 and hasn't come down after more motrin, cool clothe on the back of the neck, a tepid bath. I don't know when I should call them again or how high I should let it get before I call them again. He is miserable. The only other time he has ever acted sick was when he had the h1n1 flu. He has had pneumonia a few times and it didn't phase him, bronchitis and RSV and was still acting like himself.

Diane w/ his asthma a cold can turn to pnuemonia quite fast with him so thats why he's had it so much.

I am keeping an eye on him today but he seems a little more like himself. Thank You everyone.

Update:
He had what looked like a small bug bite on his back. Well it was huge this afternoon. We recently got back from the ER and he is on antibiotics for cellulitis

103.5

If I can't get it under 103 with tylenol+ibuprofen I call. Usually I can drop it to 101ish with just one. Regardless... I don't eradicate the fever, just drop it to 101ish. 102 ish and I hit it with the 2nd fever reducer.

If he has a lowgrade fever for more than 3 days, on day 4 I call in the morning and bring him in.

You can just put a call in to your Ped. or page them. And most definitely if the fever rises to 103 or more. And ask what to do.

Keep in mind about fevers:
1) Tylenol or Motrin does NOT "cure" the illness.. .it only brings down the fever and ease discomfort. The fever will return.. .if the child is still sick.
Tylenol/Motrin only brings down the fever. Temporarily.

2) A fever, indicates illness or infection of some kind. It also serves to burn out the virus... as the body's temp rises.. .it makes it inhabitable for the virus etc.
BUT... watch that the fever does not get too high... then you do need to bring it down... via Tylenol or Motrin... or a cool tepid bath... or, cold towels/ice packs on his Forehead/arm pits/knee pits.

3) Keep taking his temp regularly. I check my kids every hour or less.

4) a thermometer... depending which kind, will be 2-3 degrees difference. ie: a arm pit temp.. is typically 3 degrees less, than a rectal thermometer etc.

5) your son is miserable. Sometimes in conjunction with a fever, the person will also get, headaches, 'chills', and fluctuate between being too hot or cold (ie: chills).

6) Do not overheat him... if he is hot and with a fever. Don't put blankets on him in other words, if he is hot.

7) Fevers can indicate viral or bacterial infection.

take him to the Doctor, or urgent care center if it is off hours. Or ER. If he gets worse.

But put in a call to your Pediatrician, or page him/her.

And, look for other symptoms, if it gets worse or new symptoms presents itself.

Keep him hydrated, with cool liquids.

For me, when my kids have fevers... I watch it and take their temp frequently... I also let the fever go. Meaning I do not give Tylenol/Motrin unless it gets too high... I let the fever do its thing. And to get a more accurate temp.
When I do take them to the Doctor, and the kid is under Tylenol or Motrin, the temp reading will not reflect an accurate temp... because it will have been lowered, temporarily, by the Tylenol/Motrin.

all the best,
Susan

That would be high enough to take him in in my opinion. Don't you love Fridays?

103.5

Follow your instincts! Call if you are concerned - As you noted, it is his behavior and misery in combination with the fever that continues to concern you. Good Luck!

I call if it gets to 104. For high fevers I dose with tylanol and then 3 hours later with motrin. I keep in that schedule so the meeds peak at different times in his system. The important thing is if he will drink for you and stay hydrated. The fevers are always worse at night. You ped may have a night nurse service if you just want to call for advice. Hope your guy feels better soon!

my doctor told me to pay more attention to the behavior of the child rather than the number. He said he would be more worried about an extremely lethargic 100 degree fever than a 105 who still is even somewhat happy. Call though so at least they can ask the right questions. Also, a fever that high should be addressed with the solutions you mentioned, however as S.H. stated, fevers actually have a purpose. I can't tell you how many times my kids have started with fevers and as long as they have been relatively comfortable I don't treat it with Tylenol or Motrin, and by the next day, thankfully, they are 100% fine. I give the meds only when they really need it - for example to be comfortable enought to sleep. I also just noticed that you asked this question two days ago~oops! Well, maybe it will help somebody...I hope yours is all better by now.

When in doubt- call. He's your baby and that's a pretty decent jump in temp in my opinion. Your pediatrician is there to care for your child's health. Make use of that resource.

Call your doctor. Once you get close to 104-105, there can be serious side effects.

1 / 3