How Fast Do Toddler Feet Grow?

Hi there,

This is kind of a silly question, but how fast do toddler's feet grow? I just bought several pairs of summer shoes online for our 19-month old, and they are all way too big! I am wondering how fast feet grow up a size (or two!) to decide if I should send them all back? Does anyone remember? She is wearing size 5 now so I ordered size 6 for summer shoes, but they are all HUGE, like an inch too long. There is no way she could walk in them now and I can't imagine they'd fit anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!

H.

I would guess any sandal type shoe you buy for summer now (that fits right now) would still fit by the end of summer. but in autumn you would need to increase in size, maybe a half size up. Trying to remember!

My son went up a half size every 7 weeks for 5 mths!!! But has now been in the same size for 6 mths. It's hard to tell. If they are cheap, i'd say keep them and wait and see, no worries if she doesn't fit them. But if they're expensive, I'd suggest sending some back and waiting until you need them.

good luck!

My daughter changes a shoe size every 3-4 months or so. I also just purchased summer shoes for her. She is a size 6 and I purchased size 7. She is wearing them already. They are a little big, but I am pretty sure that they will last her through the spring and early summer months. I will likely be shopping again in the September timeframe. The other thing is that I purchased them in store and noticed that different brands called for different sizes. For example, a few of the European shoes were better at a size 7. Some of the American shoes were better at a 6.5. Good luck with growing feet!

The people at StrideRite told me they usually grow half a size in 3-4 months.

Just a little thing to think about, when their feet are measured at the shoe store, the size they to get is already half a size up from the size they measure (ie they toe hits the size 5 line, so they tell you to get a 5 1/2). That said, if you recently got her the 5s, she's probably actually closer to a 4.5 (meaning the 6s are a full size and a half too big!).

I'd return the new shoes (it's only a bargain if she actually gets to wear them, right?). Go to StrideRite and get her feet measured and ask what they think for summer shoes. If it were me, I'd get a 5.5 and have her wear them with socks at the beginning of summer then without socks at the end once her feet grow a bit.

My advice would be to return the 6s. Get her a

Children's feet grow fast. I'd keep the shoes. Not sure where you live, but if it's in California she will be able to wear the summer shoes in fall and spring....

good luck!

Summer in CA can last a long time, so it's possible her feet might grow. It's also possible they will fit her next year. I agree that her feet probably won't grow an inch in a couple of months though.

This probably doesn't apply in your situation, but I have purchased shoes that were a little too big but not too big to wear and ended up with them being pretty worn out before they were outgrown.

My daughters feet grow in spurts, it seems like one day all of a sudden her shoes are too tight and then they don't grow for a few months. She can wear them with socks in the fall if they are too big in the summer

I think it truly varies from child to child, I doubt her feet will grown an inch by summer since it's only almost a month away, However, by fall they should fit somewhat better. Oh and I used to buy shoes AHEAD of time too, but stopped, problem is... you don't truly know what type or style of shoe is going to fit. As they grow, their feet change not just in size, but shape. by that I mean, my son's foot became a bit wider, so a couple of pairs of CUTE sneakers I bought for him fit in length but the width wasn't quite right. I would hold off on buying too many shoes that are more than a 1/2 inch bigger than her actual shoe size. Then when she is a bit older, you can better cage what type of shoe works best for her foot.

1 / 3